Progress: Evolution of Technology» Forums » General

Subject: Surprised tokens and board are KS exclusive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I'm kind of surprised these items are kickstarter exclusive. I could see charging people for them as part of a mini expansion or something down the road but making them exclusive pretty much guarantees I wont be buying this game at release.

Unless I am missing something and these are just some sort of upgrade to existing pieces? Although the board definitely seems useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're nice extras as an exclusive but they won't change the game in anyway or, for me, the experience.

If you didn't know they existed you would never notice they weren't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're nothing but upgrades. Do you need a central board to organize your kingdom cards for sale in Dominion? No. Do some people like that? Yes. All of the tokens are simply upgrades to cards. So, instead of putting some cards out to show how much knowledge you have, you put some tokens out instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are all the most tired and worst arguments for exclusives ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Those are all the most tired and worst arguments for exclusives ever.

I'm not particularly arguing for them, just responding to
Todd Degani wrote:
... but making them exclusive pretty much guarantees I wont be buying this game at release.

and pointing out the exclusives make no difference to the gameplay. If you think you are going to enjoy the game I would recommend buying it. If not then don't, but I wouldn't make the decision based on whether or not some unnecessary component is exclusive or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't arguing for KS exclusives either. I was just answering the OP's question. I am generally against the idea of KS exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information. It was buried pretty deep to figure out that they were just upgrades. That said I still prefer the cards and will probably print some decks up of them.

As for the central board, it depends on the game. Thunderstone didn't need one but when they added one in Advanced it was greatly appreciated. It was more sort of a "You don't know what your missing if you don't have it" type of situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geremiah wrote:
you think you are going to enjoy the game I would recommend buying it. If not then don't, but I wouldn't make the decision based on whether or not some unnecessary component is exclusive or not.

Clearly you aren't a completionist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe one thing still needs clarification. The Knowledge tokens are not KS exclusive. They are just an upgrade. The same goes for Age change tokens. These will go into every box.

The central board, the VP tokens and the Action tokens are exclusives, but they really do not change the way you play the game. A retail version of Progress will not include them, but I for one was playing the prototype version of Progress which did not come with those components and I can honestly say that I do not feel my experience was in any way lacking.

Edited for absentmindedness removal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Degani wrote:
Geremiah wrote:
you think you are going to enjoy the game I would recommend buying it. If not then don't, but I wouldn't make the decision based on whether or not some unnecessary component is exclusive or not.

Clearly you aren't a completionist

No, so it appears .

I kind of understand it if you are more a collector, than a player but if someone wants to play a game and misses out on that enjoyment because they refuse to buy it on the basis that 'somewhere, someone has something which I don't, even though it wouldn't effect the game experience' I'm not sure I understand that.

There was also a signed lithograph as a KS exclusive. Again I can see how a collector may want a version with that in, but would that also stop a gamer from buying it?

Maybe I'll just sell all my KS exclusives to the highest bidder once this wins the SDJ.5db5db5db5db5db
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
"Kickstarter Exclusive" just means that the stuff will show up at the BGG store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.