1 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: New AI Overlord Dungeon Crawler Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khoi Phan
msg tools
Hey Board Game Geeks,

This is my first attempt at making a variant for Descent called "Temple of the Corrupted". I have seen both of Nerdook's variants and have liked most of it. I liked the D6 variant for the fact that it had a D6. I liked the Solo/Co-op variant for the dungeon crawler feel when no one wants to be the overlord and does not have more than a whole day to spend playing. There was one thing I did not like as much from each variant which was that it either required other materials and set up to play that were not in the current expansions I own or that it was clunky playing with the Base Game's objectives.

So I thought to myself, why not combine both? D6 Variant with the Dungeon crawler feel! I have spent the last 3 months working on this, play tested it, and now am finally releasing it. I understand my Variant is more of a Hack and Slash but for those who just want to fight their way through the dungeon playing against the game and not each other, may do so.

It should be posted in the FILES section of Board Game Geeks! If anyone has any comments or questions, feel free to ask me. I would love to get more input improve the game or to clarify any rules that are iffy. Enjoy this new Variant!

-Khôi Phan

BGG Link: boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104723

Here is the Introduction section of my new Variant:

Temple of the Corrupted is a fan-made variant for Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition. Designed for 1 to 4 players, players take on the roles of 4 heroes exploring the 8 randomly generated rooms to fight corrupted monsters, searching treasure, and escape the temple. The role of the Overlord is automated by a D6 action chart and is carefully balanced with the help of the players’ best judgments.

This variant is inspired by and based on the D&D Adventure System board games, Nerdook’s D6 Overlord Variant, and Nerdook’s Solo/Co-op Variant. This variant works with just the base set but requires Shadow of Nerekhall’s corrupted citizen cards. The more expansions you have, the more unique quests, monsters, and items you will be able to experience. A short summary of the key differences in this variant are:

-The map is randomly generated by exploring the temple. Each part of the map is divided into rooms and separated by doors. Heroes may also not close doors at any point in the game.

-The reinforcements, interlude, and finale are predetermined.

-Heroes usually gain experience and treasure per room they clear. Gold is not used and search cards cannot be sold.

-The overlord’s actions are controlled by a D6 chart and does not gain experience throughout the quest.

-Masters are upgraded with a corrupted citizen card. For a harder mode, minions can have the same stats and abilities as their master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.