Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If I understand the rule, charge (and shock for that matter) is something you do AFTER movement is complete. In other words, I have an MM with a movement factor of 6. I move it the full 6 hexes, and this brings it to within two or three hexes of an opponent (the rule speaks of having 'one or two hexes' between the units for charge eligibility; since you can't charge if adjacent, I take this to mean one or two clear hexes between units); I can now, assuming all conditions - charge path, unit status, etc. - to be in order, put a charge marker on the unit and move (although it's not technically 'movement') adjacent to the opponent and carry out the charge combat - or shock if a counter-charge is successful.

In other words, my total movement for the activation is some 9 hexes. Correct?

2. I activate a Battle, and one of its MMs is adjacent to and facing an enemy unit. Can I back out of that hex then charge/shock the enemy unit, so long as I don't become adjacent to any other units during that process? (It seems a bit 'gamey', unless you think of it as a unit 'regrouping' in order to attack again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
cstimpson wrote:
1. If I understand the rule, charge (and shock for that matter) is something you do AFTER movement is complete. In other words, I have an MM with a movement factor of 6. I move it the full 6 hexes, and this brings it to within two or three hexes of an opponent (the rule speaks of having 'one or two hexes' between the units for charge eligibility; since you can't charge if adjacent, I take this to mean one or two clear hexes between units); I can now, assuming all conditions - charge path, unit status, etc. - to be in order, put a charge marker on the unit and move (although it's not technically 'movement') adjacent to the opponent and carry out the charge combat - or shock if a counter-charge is successful.

In other words, my total movement for the activation is some 9 hexes. Correct?

The counter is physically moved adjacent to its charge target in step 2 of Phase C (shock phase). This charge movement doesn't expend movement points, but can trigger an action from the target (such as reaction fire). If you charge two hexes and had expended 6 movement points, then the counter will have "moved" a distance of 8 hexes prior to resolving the charge attack.

cstimpson wrote:

2. I activate a Battle, and one of its MMs is adjacent to and facing an enemy unit. Can I back out of that hex then charge/shock the enemy unit, so long as I don't become adjacent to any other units during that process? (It seems a bit 'gamey', unless you think of it as a unit 'regrouping' in order to attack again).

see the design note at the end of section 13.3

Quote:
Design Note: Units that start the Activation adjacent could withdraw and then charge again, but doing so would require putting the unit into some sort of order, and that would mean, in game terms, “not in the same Activation”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
For question 2, see 13.3 item 2.

This specifically disallows Charging if the unit began the Activation adjacent to an enemy unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
regarding question 1, yes MM get a free 1 or 2 hexes of "movement" with their Charge.

See 13.5 item 5 for a list of what the Charge Path can consist of. It needs to be mostly clear terrain. sub items g,h, and i cover what terrain the unit can pass through/cross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.