7 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Our Man in Tehran and neutral events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
Since I mainly play US, I get to see this event quite a bit. It is fairly obvious for most cards whether they should stay or go. All USSR events should be discarded, while all US events (except maybe The Iron Lady) should stay. Neutral cards are however more difficult, and usually provide some tough questions. My conjecture so far is that:

Scoring cards: Discard if they're not advantageous to you, or don't look like they will become.
Junta: Discard if the USSR player is not yet in South America. Keep if you're not in South America. Otherwise, I don't know.
Brush War: Depends on who has the more attractive targets. Always discard if Flower Power is active.
One Small Step: Discard if ahead in the space race.
Latin American Death Squads: Depends on who has the more attractive coup targets in the Americas.
SALT Negotiations: Depends on what is in the discard pile. Probably keep it in, as it's generally better for the US.
Summit: Discard if the roll favors the USSR.
Indo-Pakistani War, Iran-Iraq War: If it could potentially flip one of your battlegrounds, discard. If you cannot flip a battleground with it due to USSR control of all neighbors, discard. If Flower Power is active, always discard them. If in doubt, discard.
Cuban Missile Crisis: Discard if you have no influence in neither of West Germany and Turkey. Definitely keep if the USSR has no influence in Cuba.
How I Learned To Stop Worrying: Unless Defcon 5 would be disastrous to you, keep this in. It's generally a better US event than USSR.
Wargames: If the USSR could win with it and final scoring favors you, discard.
Arms Race: Probably always discard, since the USSR player has an easier time getting military ops.
Terrorism: Unless you somehow know that Iranian Hostage Crisis will not be played as an event, always discard. Then it might depend on which DEFCON suicide cards remain.
Nuclear Test Ban: Discard, probably. The event is rarely relevant, but the USSR is more likely to run into DEFCON troubles, in which case it matters.

I have no idea whether to discard or keep Olympic Games, Red Scare/Purge, UN Intervention, ABM Treaty, Captured Nazi Scientist and Missile Envy. Any help with these?

And I am also quite unsure what do to about "blank ops" cards. This is typically Arab-Israeli War after Camp David Accords is played, or Cambridge Five turn 7 and onwards. Do they favor any particular player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean with "discard"? Playing for the OPs? Align? Coup? Using Space Race? You have to choose something.

You cannot throw away a scoring card or using it in space race (as it has 0 OPs) If it is bad for you, that's bad luck, there is no choice.

Shooting bad cards into space can be helpful but if you do it to often you can get into problems...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's talking about Our Man in Tehran as the topic title says
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ups, my bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This card rewards remembering what is left in the deck. If there are many USSR events or USSR favoring scorings, then don't discard neutral cards. Otherwise discard all. US has stronger deck in mid war and its their advantage the more mid war cards come before resuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
This card rewards remembering what is left in the deck.

Of course, if you're like me, you might break down and inspect the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustaf Gustafus
msg tools
If you're ahead in board position, discard cards that have a big impact (like Red Scare/Purge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.