Geoff Graham CheeseViking Games
United States
Hockley
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I've got this game coming in a trade and have heard some pretty mixed reviews, mostly negative, about how random the spells and rooms are.
I've seen some posts suggesting drafting, but haven't seen any posts on the results.
After reading the rules, here's my take (having not played the game yet)

During the set up, instead of drawing 5 cards and keeping 3, draft until all players have 5 cards and then draft 2 spells each. Maybe discard down to 3, maybe just keep all 5 for a better sense of control.

During the build phase, instead of drawing a card, do another draft until each player has 3 cards. They pick 1 that would be the card drawn, and can play it or another room card in their hand.

Would this help curb any randomness? It probably makes the game go longer, but with a better sense of control in the game it might be worth it.
I know I should try the game out first before any variants, but I'm kind of offput by all the negative thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting your starting hand makes sense. I'd say deal out ten room cards to each player and draft them all. For spell cards, hand out five each and discard them all. Once you're done, each player picks a starting room and keeps four room cards and two spell cards, the rest get discarded. This lets you create a strategy as opposed to just drafting from five cards - less chance to get screwed by hate drafting or a bad draw.

I wouldn't worry too much about drafting from round to round. Drafting each draw would be horribly cumbersome. Part of the game is managing what you end up with and you already have a great deal of control over your starting hand. If you really, really, really want to do it that way, I'd draft the entire deck before the game begins - both rooms and spells - and have each player make their own "deck" of spells and room to draw from. Shuffle your own deck and play away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We draft this way and it works well.

- deal 7 room cards to each player. Draft to 5.
- then deal 3 spells to each player. Draft to 2.

Then discard 2 down to starting 5.

Of course do this after getting boss character so you can plan it out a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The official rules in the second edition have you draw 5 room and 2 spell cards and discard any 2 cards. This allows some level of control. There is also ample opportunity to dig both the decks and their discard piles with various abilities and spells. Finally, heroes are drawn at random making the treasure icons you face random, so I don't really know how much strategy you can employ by drafting in this game. Most of the strategy revolves around playing to the treasure icons and manipulating the outcome of the baiting phase.

Sure, the game has a fair bit of randomness, but in my experience you have enough opportunity to change your cards up before anyone wins or dies such that strategy overrides randomness. The decks mill quite fast and there are duplicates of everything. Only hero randomness has ever annoyed me, and this doesn't change with drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Graham CheeseViking Games
United States
Hockley
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thanks everyone for all the replies. Just got the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.