Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Borg Cube lights mod rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I modded my Borg Cube last night - pried the bottom off the cube, got 2 super-bright green LEDs, a small switch, a 120 ohm 1/4 W resistor (resistance is futile!) and a 9v battery and wired it up!

Using a 9v (which is slightly off-center) is the only part that's not great, it's a little on the heavy side. If I did it over I might use 3 3v 2025 disc-type batteries instead. I didn't have a battery case for those on me though.

-Tev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TevK wrote:
I modded my Borg Cube last night - pried the bottom off the cube, got 2 super-bright green LEDs, a small switch, a 120 ohm 1/4 W resistor (resistance is futile!) and a 9v battery and wired it up!

Using a 9v (which is slightly off-center) is the only part that's not great, it's a little on the heavy side. If I did it over I might use 3 3v 2025 disc-type batteries instead. I didn't have a battery case for those on me though.

-Tev

That's fantastic. Did you do anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you have to scrape the interior of paint or anything like that to get the light to shine through nicely like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, the cube is actually made of white plastic, so light shines through nicely where the plastic is thinner. All I had to do was cut through the glue where the base was glued on. When the light is turned off the only sign of modification is the switch on the bottom.

I did have to dremel a hole for the switch but other than that the cube itself didn't need any work.

-Tev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are the glue points the smaller points on the outside of the corners (2 per by the looks of it) or are they the larger points inside the corners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to a video of turning it on and off (also posted in the video section). I need to tighten the seam at the bottom, but overall it looks quite nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12b6bfw3tPQ

-Tev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwin
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is seriously awesome! I really want to try this now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tev,

You now need to insert a sound option with a push button switch on the top that says "We are the Borg" or "Resistance is Futile".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that red switch is the spot on the cube in first contact where Picard tells the fleet to focus their weapons fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally awesome!

Added to Collected Expansion Threads for Attack Wing (aka Pimp your AW) in mods section...

This is my next project!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
give the inside of the cube a quick coat of neon green (use a water based acrylic so that it isn't too thick and doesn't block too much light). It gives the cube a nice eerie green glow to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alyksandyr wrote:
Tev,

You now need to insert a sound option with a push button switch on the top that says "We are the Borg" or "Resistance is Futile".

There's actually a lot of room inside the cube, with an Arduino Micro you could rig all sorts of light and sound effects... for now I'm happy with green lights though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csimian wrote:
Are the glue points the smaller points on the outside of the corners (2 per by the looks of it) or are they the larger points inside the corners?

Not sure how consistent they are at applying glue, on my cube only 1 side had much glue on it, along the edge... it did require a bit of aggression and xacto/box cutter usage.

I think the actual glue was along the edge, there are a few plastic posts on the base plate that insert into holes on the upper part, I managed to pry it apart only breaking one of the posts.

I haven't decided what I'll do to fasten it closed... right now I just pressed it back together and it stays - I don't want to glue it for when I need to change the battery, so maybe I'll use magnets or something.

-Tev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It looks great. Rather than re-gluing I'd suggest drilling the post contacts down a bit and putting some round earth magnets in each. Those little things are quite strong and should allow you good strength so it doesn't come apart when you move the cube about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody work on this?

I put one together yesterday. I couldn't find a good, small rocker switch like in the OP, so I got a push switch (although I'm interested in which switch was used in the op)

The green led I bought at Radio Shack didn't anywhere near enough brightness (only rated 640 mcd). I put a 100 ohm 1/4 resistor in mine and it is powered by a 9v battery, but I can hardly see through it at all.

What's my issue? Are the lights not bright enough? (I'll probably buy these on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G6TKQW/ref=oh_aui_detai... ) since they are rated 20000 mcd, but will that fix it?

So, which switches, which leds, etc. Thanks for your help and this has turned into a fun project.

This is what mine looked like in a completely dark room. Not bright enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.