Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job on the tutorial video; it's got me salivating.

Some questions:

1. I notice on the "Advise" special activity, it says at the end, "Then, if desired, +6 Aid." Does Aid work differently than other COIN games? Or to put it simply, is there any reason you wouldn't desire Aid?

2. Pivotal cards were described as a "trump mechanic", so it seems each faction keeps his card to the side and throws it at his discretion if he meets the conditions. Is that right? Also,

3. Does the pivotal card completely negate the regular current event card, or do you play it after resolving the pivotal card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't actually know anything more than what that video teaches us, but a comment about the first question. In ADP, the Government can slowly turn Aid into Corruption Patronage, and high Corruption Patronage is the other half of their victory points. Since this seems also to be true for South Vietnam, I guess that's part of why adding to Aid is optional on Advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the video, the Pivotal card replaces the current card (i.e., trumps it). I'm not quite sure how the mechanics of the Pivotal cards work, though. Who has first shot on playing one? And I assume when one has been played, it cannot be counter trumped by another one? All will be made clear soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will be interesting to see how this works in the solitaire variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimeys wrote:
Will be interesting to see how this works in the solitaire variant.

Good point!

4. Are pivotal cards used in solitaire? If so, how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott! Thanks for watching...

Scottgun wrote:
Great job on the tutorial video; it's got me salivating.

Some questions:

1. I notice on the "Advise" special activity, it says at the end, "Then, if desired, +6 Aid." Does Aid work differently than other COIN games? Or to put it simply, is there any reason you wouldn't desire Aid?

Aid works similarly to that in A Distant Plain, wherein the Coalition has the option when executing Surge to give it all to the Warlords instead of the Government, or to give none at all. The reason in both games is that it seems realistic to allow the faction generating the Aid to withhold it, and still be able to do the associated Special Activity, should relations with the Aid recipient have reached such a nadir, or require the Aid as leverage. I didn't know how to answer the prospective question on BGG, "if I want to Advise but not give Aid, why can't I?"

Quote:
2. Pivotal cards were described as a "trump mechanic", so it seems each faction keeps his card to the side and throws it at his discretion if he meets the conditions. Is that right? Also,

Yes!

Quote:
3. Does the pivotal card completely negate the regular current event card, or do you play it after resolving the pivotal card?

It completely negates it. So, as Mark mentions in the video, the moment at which you choose to play it (unleash your big offensive, etc.) matters a lot!

Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelroy wrote:
I don't actually know anything more than what that video teaches us, but a comment about the first question. In ADP, the Government can slowly turn Aid into Corruption Patronage, and high Corruption Patronage is the other half of their victory points. Since this seems also to be true for South Vietnam, I guess that's part of why adding to Aid is optional on Advise.

Good points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

4. Are pivotal cards used in solitaire? If so, how?

Yes! We worked this quite a bit to ensure that the conditions for the bots playing their Pivotal Event are simple and effective. The final rule is that a Non-player will play its Pivotal Event immediately if the Pivotal Event is playable (its preconditions are met) and any player Faction is 1st Eligible.

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
From the video, the Pivotal card replaces the current card (i.e., trumps it). I'm not quite sure how the mechanics of the Pivotal cards work, though. Who has first shot on playing one? And I assume when one has been played, it cannot be counter trumped by another one? All will be made clear soon enough.

If more than one Pivotal Event is played, the VC trump all others, then ARVN, then NVA. A trumped Pivotal Event is simply returned to the owning player.

Also, a Pivotal Event cannot be played during Monsoon (the Event immediately preceding a Coup. So there often is quite a delicate timing involved, because you only get to look 1 card ahead, not 2....

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers, Volko. The Pivotal Cards sound like a cool addition to your system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
Thanks for all the answers, Volko. The Pivotal Cards sound like a cool addition to your system.

Indeed. It could be vicious if you play it when the regular card up has a special capability you know your opponent wants.

You still have to be in the eligible box when you throw it to be able to act on it, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
You still have to be in the eligible box when you throw it to be able to act on it, right?

Eligibility is one of the prerequisites to play a Pivotal Event card, and it applies to trumping players as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.