Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About three years ago I started playing TITAN for the first time. Besides being a fantastic game (if not the best), I really dig how when I picked it up I was playing the same game experts have for the past 30 years. I enjoyed digging into older reviews and strategies as they are all still relevant.

Britannia seems like it'd be a game I'd really dig, but I understand it's now out of print and if there is ever to be a new edition it won't be the same. So, it seems that if I were to hunt down a copy of the FFG version I'll end up playing a different game then what's coming up.

So, when is this game going to be reprinted, will it be similar to the FFG title, and will it still at least take a few hours to play? (If it's being moved into a quick playing game (an hour or so) I'll likely pass.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy reading advice from the "past masters" of games (like you did with Titan) then just buy one of the out of print editions and enjoy it. The game will still play as well as it has all these years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lew Pulsipher posts on the "Eurobrit" Yahoo group a great deal. He's stated that although there's some interest from some publishers, nothing's fixed as yet, so a publication date isn't in the offing. From what I've read, it will be a very different game (some of the changes sound really interesting, some I'm not so sure will be ones I like).

I'd look at picking up one or both of the OOP editions. The FFG and Avalon Hill versions are very different games in lots of ways, and you need to adjust your play accordingly. Both are quite good, but both will require multiple plays for you to "get it." It's not uncommon for new players who don't understand the ebb & flow to feel like the game is incredibly scripted, but that's more because "who's winning" isn't always obvious and the choices you make often have an impact you didn't expect 2-3 turns down the road.

The reprint (if it ever happens) is supposed to include both a simplified game and a more hardcore version if I'm remembering the messages right. So I'd expect something with a range of playing times to pick from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or check some of Lew Pulsiper's posts here and here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long-time player of the AH edition and someone who felt the changes in the FFG edition (both graphics and game play) were predominantly for the worse, I recommend picking up a used AH edition. Prices seem to have crept up on eBay, but if you're patient I think you can get it for $20 with shipping. It's a fantastic game, and one that really plays well opposed and solo (if you're into solo boardgames).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.