Subject: A kickstarter for a refurbished and complete 1825 would be awesome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...but I guess that will remain a dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
sweden_guy wrote:

Hey, that would totally devaluate my collection! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
sweden_guy wrote:

Hey, that would totally devaluate my collection! meeple

Or only bolster it by increasing interest in 18xx to the masses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels like the last print run of 1825 took quite a while to sell out, so I would wonder how much real interest there is in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Prescott
England
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know 1825 and 1829 Mainline are still being produced by its designer, Francis Tresham (who by the way is 78 this year), in his "garage"
As far as I know he has no web presence nor e-mail address and you will have to write old fashioned letter/postcard to get in touch:-
Tresham Games Ltd.,
254 Bideford Green,
Linslade,
Leighton Buzzard,
LU7 2TT
UK
Or maybe you could fax him:-
FAX 44 (0) 1525 37 46 32
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to see a revamped version of 1825 with consistent rules across all sets, clear and complete, scenarios for different combinations of units and expensions, various tidying up and some general revisions and enhancements.

I occasionally daydream about taking on such a project. But it is Francis's game, not ours, and for him to do with as he wishes. In any case, if I did try and change the game, my daydream would encounter the reality that 99% of other 1825 players would disagree with my ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was talking to a UK retailer in 2013 who managed to see Francis with three copies of 1829 Mainline in his hands and managed to snag them. I got one of them for me, and one for a friend. When Francis builds up games it seems like its mostly out of his supply of components that he has on hand.

Doesn't seem like he's making much of anything anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought about the word "complete" in your title ...

in fact, 1825 is not complete - according to Francis it still misses the Steam Packet Lines and he had some plans with the windsacks on the boards (but he never revealed them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Also R4, which has surfaced from Francis a few different times in different forms, but has never been released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The Steam Packets are probably an important expansion because it's clear many areas of the map have been designed for it because they are suspiciously distant or expensive to built towards. Stranraer is a good example of this.

So yeah, I really look foward to it. And I would back a complete 1825 in a heartbeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi
France
Paris
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We are talking about a guy who doesn't have an email address. Chances for the kickstarter to happen are very slim.

Though, maybe we can take some collective action so he authorize us to make fan copies of his game. Something like being many to send some nice postcard to his home. All explaining nicely the situation (that $250 dollars is the current market price for all units, that a lot of people would love to play his game but that this is impossible, that we would save him the trouble of making the game himself by hand, etc...)

We would have P&P for those who care and we could get a copy from P&P Production for those who want it ready to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fletcher
England
flag msg tools
I must go down to the sea again
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 support for a slick Kickstarter edition with a full map of Britain and beautiful components in the ravishing 18OE style. Actually, I quite like the small tiles of 18OE that allow for more hexes per sqm. This could be used for a more detailed map of Britain with more options for beautiful lines. The design should make use of the steam companíes´logos and include as much flavour and rail history as possible. Eduardus vult!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordell Stetson
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't imagine there's much hope for a kickstarter. GMT seems to be dipping it's toe into the genre with it's recent P500 of 1846 ... if Mr. Tresham were actively seeking a publisher (and I don't believe he is) that might be a nice place to look. My hopes is that GMT would/will be less inclined to gaudy graphic redesign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1mileis2 wrote:
I don't imagine there's much hope for a kickstarter. GMT seems to be dipping it's toe into the genre with it's recent P500 of 1846 ... if Mr. Tresham were actively seeking a publisher (and I don't believe he is) that might be a nice place to look. My hopes is that GMT would/will be less inclined to gaudy graphic redesign.

You are not alone in that hope.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I fervently hope that GMT use DTG's art without change except as needed for their different component materials (eg tokens)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing nothing about copyright law, what happens to these game designs when Mr. Tresham is no longer with us*? Would someone be able to start a new production thereof?

*Please forgive the crassness of this speculation. I'm very fond of his designs, have immense respect for him as a designer, and would certainly like to see them available to future players many years from now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit Geezer wrote:
Knowing nothing about copyright law, what happens to these game designs when Mr. Tresham is no longer with us*? Would someone be able to start a new production thereof?

*Please forgive the crassness of this speculation. I'm very fond of his designs, have immense respect for him as a designer, and would certainly like to see them available to future players many years from now!

In such a future case, I'd suspect 'someone' would have as much claim to reprint Mr. Tresham's games as they would to publish George Michael's albums. That is, they'd have none. His games are properties of Tresham Games which would presumably go to the hands of his heirs (unless there are business partners involved in TG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
8bit Geezer wrote:

In such a future case, I'd suspect 'someone' would have as much claim to reprint Mr. Tresham's games as they would to publish George Michael's albums. That is, they'd have none. His games are properties of Tresham Games which would presumably go to the hands of his heirs (unless there are business partners involved in TG).

That is what I assumed, so my question was really leading to: has Mr. Tresham considered this, and discussed selling rights to other parties?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We are the wrong people to ask. (None of us are Francis, outside of any privacy considerations)

This is the wrong place to ask. (Assumably none of us are his heirs, executors or estate managers)

That's really Francis' personal business and not our's.

The designs are his to dispose of as he sees fit for his own reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
We are the wrong people to ask. (None of us are Francis, outside of any privacy considerations)

This is the wrong place to ask. (Assumably none of us are his heirs, executors or estate managers)

That's really Francis' personal business and not our's.

The designs are his to dispose of as he sees fit for his own reasons.

Yes...wishful thinking on my part. I'd hoped that someone here might be on speaking terms with him and would have some insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I tend to think that people's wills and testaments are their business and not for our gossip, even if we do know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard copyright terms here in the UK are life of the author plus 70 years. Only at that point does the work fall into the public domain. So it will be a long time before 1825 (or indeed most other games) will be available to be published without the permission of Mr Tresham (long may he live!) or his estate.

It's similar in most countries, because copyright, which was originally meant to give the author a limited monopoly on distributing and profiting from their own work, has been constantly changed due to the influence of large companies who don't want the work of their long-dead artists to become the property of the public.

In the US, generally if it looks like the early works of Disney are about to fall into the public domain, the copyright term is extended. In 1976, the copyright term was extended from a maximum of 56 years to life of the author plus 50 years or a flat 75 years for corporate works (e.g. a movie where multiple authors work for hire). Then in 1998 it was extended to life of the author plus 70 years or 120 years from creation (or 95 years after publication) for corporate works.

The earliest Mickey Mouse cartoons are now due to enter the public domain in 2023. So I strongly suspect that some time in the next 5 years or so, that copyright term limits will be extended again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hernandez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Mayfair Games might give it a go. They are established, have published 18xx games before, and may likely have had correspondence in the past with Francis Tresham.

In this scenario, I'd like to see the rulebook in the original style, with either a Q&A section based on players' experience, or with Mr. Tresham's rules interpretations included in updated rules. The tile upgrade chart could be made clearer. The important thing is to not make any significant changes (beyond clarifying rules and upgrading components) to the game, as happened when Avalon Hill took on 1830 (though admittedly that game was in development and 1825 is established). In this regard, the only major addition I would like to see in the new version would be the steam packet lines. Presumably these would be not dissimilar to those of 1829. (The windsocks might have something to do with early airports, but only Mr. Tresham knows for sure. If he has that worked out, by all means include whatever he meant!)

Units 1, 2 and 3 would still be separate, possibly including some of the expansions if this is practical. These should also include something like the nice color counters, shares and tokens I have seen elsewhere (I like the charters with the company advertising pictures, but haven't decided on the excellent tokens that go with them, or the tokens with the actual company crests from the fellow in Brazil. Both have merit.) Also a stock chart something like Mr. Berry's seems ideal. And yes, this will make these items more expensive.

Unit 4 would have the remaining expansions, plus a unified stock market chart for Units 1-3, ditto a unified tile upgrade chart, and anything else that doesn't go in one of the other units. Expansion D1 might be an example. Here also is a place for some of the optional rules and variants I have seen.

Unless Mr. Tresham really likes assembling the games himself, by using established publishers like Mayfair he can collect the royalties and keep working on games, as he apparently has not exhausted his stock of ideas. Maybe his experience with Avalon Hill soured him on that. I don't know.

Ever since I saw the two versions of 1829 and longed to put them together, I have wanted to see a unified game like 1825, and not as a limited offer. Hope springs eternal. Meanwhile I will break out my copy of 1830 again and ponder how the Delaware & Hudson managed to survive (as an independent entity) all the major companies in the game except CP (and maybe C&O, depending on how you view the original C&O/B&O merger). No quibbling about B&M - Guilford picked that up before acquiring the D&H.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.