Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New to boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O
msg tools
Hey guys, I'm new to boardgames and I'm trying to decide what would be a good sci-fi type boardgame to get. I'm currently thinking of buying Android :Netrunner and maybe one or two of its addon packs, but I'm open to other ideas, would really appreciate some suggestions, thanks for yer help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people that like the theme of Android are going to prefer it probably to Race for the Galaxy. I think you are on the right track.

I do not play a lot of scifi or space themed games. But I do own and want to try Core Worlds and it's expansion Core Worlds: Galactic Orders which I think might have some light deck building elements.

Among the Stars is a 7 wonders drafting kind of thing as far as I have heard. It seems terribly expensive but people say it is fun.

Alien Frontiers seems high too but you might be into the dice placement kind of thing. I feel that I have enough and likely better games that have this mechanic (that I am only slightly fond of usually).

I have heard of Mission: Red Planet, Eclipse, Exodus: Proxima Centauri, and Empires of the Void.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played A:N, but here are a few things you could look at.

Battle Beyond Space. This one is cool. You get around 20 ships, there are asteroids to avoid and victory point 'satellites' to collect, various different powers for the four races, and more.

Earth Reborn. Moving soldiers around on a map shooting each other. This one takes a bit longer to set up and play, but is really fun.

Firefly: The Game. We just got this, and it rocks. It is mostly a pick up and deliver game, but the theme fits well, and it is pretty damn cool.

Hope this might help.

-Brian

edit: Holy hell, almost forgot about Star Realms! Fantastic, quick deckbuilder that is fun as you could ask for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quatre Skies
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the best places to get information about board games. I'd recommend Eminent Domain as a good sci-fi game.

I've also heard a lot about Cosmic Encounter and the many expansions for that game.

Also check out YouTube for reviews and game demos to see if the games are interesting for you and if you can, check out your friendly local game store and see what the owner recommends and see if you can demo or play a copy with a regular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of the ones I have:

1. Alien Frontiers is a fairly light on rules and easy to get to the table for both newbies and experienced folks alike. It looks very nice and the theme makes sense. In this one you are grabbing various resources to build space colonies, getting special powers to help you do so along the way. I'd recommend it, though it likely will be more expensive than some other options.

2. Galaxy Trucker is a game all about building space ships from a variety of parts and then flying (usually unsuccessfully) through space. This is generally a big hit with folks and can be played either very competitively or very casually depending on the group. It does have a lot of explanation up front, but if you love building things it is a great game.

3. Cosmic Encounter is a fairly simple game of space negotiation. You are trying to colonize planets by attacking other folks and avoiding being attacked by others. This definitely is a group dependent game; some love it and some hate it. I always say "if you liked the part of Risk where you argue with your friends, but hate the tedious map movement and die rolling this is a great game for you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How log a game do you want to play? How many players? How often are you likely to play?

I think the only SciFi games I have are Race for the Galaxy (which is probably my favourite game) and The Resistance which doesn't have a strong theme. They are both good games, but you might hate them both! Race for the Galaxy isn't a game I'd recommend if you were going to play every few months as knowing the cards is reasonably important.

scarecrowking wrote:
almost forgot about Star Realms! Fantastic, quick deckbuilder that is fun as you could ask for.

Is Star Realms still available? I like the look of it but couldn't find it anywhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android Netrunner is an excellent choice if you don't mind strictly 2-player and like cyberpunk like William Gibson novels and Bladerunner. I ended up selling this off however because personally I don't care for pre-game deck constructing and being tempted to keep up with the joneses by buying more and more data packs.

Firefly I hear good things about. A little more old-school is the reprint of Merchant of Venus.

You might look at a 4x game like the aptly named Space Empires 4x.

Also, coming out soon is a co-op game called Alien Uprising which looks very interesting to me.

If you want a little sillier sci-fi theme check out the old school Awful Green Things from Outer Space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

scarecrowking wrote:
almost forgot about Star Realms! Fantastic, quick deckbuilder that is fun as you could ask for.

Is Star Realms still available? I like the look of it but couldn't find it anywhere...

The second print run should be hitting soon.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to add Eminent Domain to the list of fun, fairly light sci-fi card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cosmic Encounter - Cool player powers, simple rules, lots of player interaction, ton of replay-ability.

Try Nexus Ops - Combat game with soldiers and bugs. Has a great secret objective component and catch up mechanism to keep games close, yet very strategic.

Personally, Netrunner was not for me. It needs a strong commitment to deck building and hours of preparation to get the most out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
msg tools
Thanks for all yer suggestions guys, appreciate the responses. Just to say, I was thinking Netrunner because I'm more into an in depth kind of game, with a cyberpunk sci fi or space opera kind of feel. Amount of players doesn't bother me, probably be playing between 2-5/6, time commitment doesn't bother me either, longer the better I guess. Would be playing it once a week or maybe a bit less. I've also been looking at eclipse, twilight imperium (although its pretty expensive) and battlestar galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

There are a ton of great science fiction games, but if you're new to gaming, some of them might be a bit daunting (Earth Reborn). I really enjoy Race for the Galaxy and think it plays very smoothly (and pretty quickly), but my friends don't like the iconography. It makes perfect sense after you play it about 4 or 5 times, but those first few games can be rough.

I love Netrunner, I think it's the best of all the LCGs. I'd highly recommend getting it! The core set has a lot of game, and the expansions add a ton. It can be expensive to just jump in and buy all the data packs at first, so I'd recommend just grabbing a core or two and going from there.

Gears of War: The Board Game is a great action-packed co-op that is based off the video game of the same name. It has great minis, and a variable map. I really enjoy it.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game is also pretty fun. It's more like a cheesy 50s B movie (in theme) and has cooperative, competitive, and solo variants included in the box. It's not the most balanced game, but it's a lot of fun.

Quote:
eclipse, twilight imperium (although its pretty expensive) and battlestar galactica.

If you say Length doesn't matter, Twilight Imperium is great. But it lasts about six hours (AT LEAST) every time to play. So it's an all day or two commitment.

I like both Eclipse and BSG, they're both very good games. BSG is a ton of fun if your group appreciates the theme, and you have 4-5 people (it tends to play better with more). Eclipse plays sort of like an economic management game in space. Combat is random, but I think the game is very solid. You really can't go wrong with any of the three.

When you say you like "in depth" games, what do you mean? Lots of strategic options? Lots of variability between play? Low levels of randomness? Lots of fluff and story? Something that builds a cool narrative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
msg tools
If I was to get Netrunner (hoping to get it tomorrow), what would ye guys say are the best/most important expansions to get? And ya in relation to it being in depth, all of those but mostly just depth in terms of variability and range of options in gameplay etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you say "the longer the better" than you should probably reconsider.
Android: Netrunner is an awesome game, but a short one. I'd say the playing time of 45 minutes is exaggerated.

I'd have a hard time telling you which expansions to get because that totally depends on which factions you want to play and in which way you want to play them. Just get the base set, get your feet wet and then decide for yourself. No need to rush. There's plenty to explore in the base set.

Between 2-6 players is a pretty wide range. If you often have 5-6 players available and they don't mind a long playing time either than Twilight Imperium is the way to go. But most people don't play it too often because it's not as easy to gather enough players who have the time for it.

Battlestar Galactica is a cool game IF you often have exactly 5 players. With less than 5 players I'd probably always skip it. With the Daybreak expansion I MIGHT play it with 4 or 6.

Eclipse plays well with most of the player numbers it supports but I'd be hesitant to recommend it because I don't know your taste and it's more on the economic side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab Alien Frontiers now, the current print run just sold out, so what you see for sale now is all that's left. Once they get sold, you'll either have to wait a year or so for the next print run, or pay high OoP prices. Good luck!

Currently $60 on Amazon + free super saver shipping, it's a steal. Go, go, go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
msg tools
I don't mind economic orientated gameplay. If there is resource management and things like that then that would also be something I'd be looking for! With the expansions can netrunner be elongated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Achilles45 wrote:
Thanks for all yer suggestions guys, appreciate the responses. Just to say, I was thinking Netrunner because I'm more into an in depth kind of game, with a cyberpunk sci fi or space opera kind of feel. Amount of players doesn't bother me, probably be playing between 2-5/6, time commitment doesn't bother me either, longer the better I guess. Would be playing it once a week or maybe a bit less. I've also been looking at eclipse, twilight imperium (although its pretty expensive) and battlestar galactica.

Consider Exodus: Proxima Centauri, TI3 lite (ie: faster play time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:

Consider Exodus: Proxima Centauri, TI3 lite (ie: faster play time).

I'm glad you said Exodus.

If someone tells you Eclipse is TI3 lite, don't believe them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum is a fantastic entry level board game. All around top notch from theme to components* to gameplay.

*There have been issues with bad dice quality. Mine were fine but I've seen horror stories.

Android: Netrunner is great as well, but like others have said- its a 2 player head to head type game. With all the continued support and large playerbase, it could very well be the only game you ever buy. wow

Enter at your own risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Achilles45 wrote:
I don't mind economic orientated gameplay. If there is resource management and things like that then that would also be something I'd be looking for! With the expansions can netrunner be elongated?

Okay... well Eclispse basically drops almost the entire diplomacy element and takes in a lot more resource management which makes it shift more in the Euro direction.

In Twilight Imperium there's much more politics and diplomacy going on.

No, the expansions don't make Netrunner a longer game. They give you many more options for create your deck. But they don't change the playing time and they are not supposed to. With Netrunner you are more likely to play several rounds in a row than have a single long round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
Achilles45 wrote:

Okay... well Eclispse basically drops almost the entire diplomacy element and takes in a lot more resource management which makes it shift more in the Euro direction.

In Twilight Imperium there's much more politics and diplomacy going on.

No, the expansions don't make Netrunner a longer game. They give you many more options for create your deck. But they don't change the playing time and they are not supposed to. With Netrunner you are more likely to play several rounds in a row than have a single long round.

Truth be told, in a Netrunner tournament, you're supposed to play Best of 3, so that gets it to the 45 min to an hour for experience players mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.