James Last
msg tools
mb
Hello,
It is my turn , I am encountering a monster & I want to use the spell card " force of missile" to replace the combat check to arcane check , which will be (arcane die + 2d4).

If I have a character that doesn't have arcane skills , and I still want to play the card I know that I will roll 1d4(because I don't have the skill) + 2d4 .
My questions :
1-does this check consider arcane check although I don't have the skill ? if so, can I play in the (play cards & use powers that affect the check) stage ally card like "acolyte" and also other players can play cards based on arcane check ?

2-the spell card " force of missile" traits are (magic,arcane,attack,force,basic) , so what the use of mentioning in the powers section " ........with the force trait" ? what is the need to mention with the force trait , we already know that from the trait card list beside the the spill not just force trait it is also magic , arcane , attack , basic, so why only mention the force trait?
is this something need to consider later in the next stages of the attempting a check ?

thanks

ps : there are other cards have same thing with magic trait..etc in the power section of the card .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
james0007 wrote:
Hello,

My questions :
1-does this check consider arcane check although I don't have the skill ? if so, can I play in the (play cards & use powers that affect the check) stage ally card like "acolyte" and also other players can play cards based on arcane check ?

Yes, it would be an Arcane check. Thus, it would be possible to Recharge your Acolyte to get an additionnal d4. In that case, you would throw 1d4 (Arcane) + 2d4 (Force Missile) + 1d4 (Acolyte).
Others players could play cards to increase your check... mainly Blessings, but in that case, a Divine spellcaster could help you by using the Aid Spell (you would gain a d6).

james0007 wrote:
Hello,

2-the spell card " force of missile" traits are (magic,arcane,attack,force,basic) , so what the use of mentioning in the powers section " ........with the force trait" ? what is the need to mention with the force trait , we already know that from the trait card list beside the the spill not just force trait it is also magic , arcane , attack , basic, so why only mention the force trait?
is this something need to consider later in the next stages of the attempting a check ?

thanks

The second question is more tricky. If a card is played during the "Determine which die you are using" step, then it adds traits of the card (those in the upper left column : Magic, Arcane, Attack, Force and Basic). In the case when it is played at any other point, a card only adds traits that are indicated in the powers box (the Force Trait, here).

In the present case, you play Force Missile in the step "Determine which die you are using". Indeed, you will use your Arcane die because of that. Thus, you will add the full list of Traits to your check (Magic, Attack, Force, Arcane and Basic). In case another character would enhance your check by playing the aid Spell, you would not add the Divine trait to your check (because that Spell would have been played after the "Determine which die you are using" step).

I hope this helps.

I don't know exactly why the power box only indicates the Force Trait. For the moment, I don't see a way to play Force Missile after the "Determine which die you are using" step... but may be there will be a way to achieve that in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
james0007 wrote:
Hello,
It is my turn , I am encountering a monster & I want to use the spell card " force of missile" to replace the combat check to arcane check , which will be (arcane die + 2d4).

If I have a character that doesn't have arcane skills , and I still want to play the card I know that I will roll 1d4(because I don't have the skill) + 2d4 .
My questions :

Yes. The card you play to "Determine which die your using" adds all its traits to the check. Force Missile has the Arcane trait. So it would be an Arcane check, and thus the Acolyte would affect it. Look at Wand of Force Missile, which doesn't use the Arcane die, but has the Arcane trait. You can use the Acolyte there too.

james0007 wrote:

Nope. It is redundant, but true and due to an editorial oversight.
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q9ph?A-traits-question-about-Fi...

There are some cards that the traits mentioned are important. Lots of weapons let you reveal for the traits on the card, but then additionally discard for extra dice and another trait (like Fire). But lots of them are just redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to banish that card after you play it, since you don't have the Arcane skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you all for these answer sure it will help to enjoy the game & Sylvain it seems that the traits mentioned in the power box , It is just redundant , so they shouldn't mention force trait in the power box, so here now both of us knew the asnswer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Sure i will Lars ... thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
james0007 wrote:
Thank you all for these answer sure it will help to enjoy the game & Sylvain it seems that the traits mentioned in the power box , It is just redundant , so they shouldn't mention force trait in the power box, so here now both of us knew the asnswer.

Yes, I eventually understood that. It was quite confusing, as indicated by the designer on Paizo web page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.