Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theron Seckington
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I'm planning a homebrewed megagame-style event for some friends and I realize I don't know enough about how modern warfare is represented by hex-and-counter style games. Since I'm planning something for friends only I'm not too proud to steal outright and I reach out to you now for advice: I'm looking for a robust combat system to handle a near future conflict.

The ideal candidate system:
-Doesn't require a PhD in Military Science to understand
-involves dice
-Uses a hex map
-involves American military units
-handles combined arms (tanks, mechanized infantry, fighters, bombers, destroyers, carriers, submarines)
-is still in print

I'm happy to answer questions and provide clarifications. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex!...tons of expansions and options.

Although for a homebrew, you might look at Imperial Starfire. You can download the system (not free, but there are a lot of freebies there) from their homepage. It's a pretty good system for fighting fleets of ships in space. It could easily be adapted to simulate a surface combat, though. I think there are even downloads to make your own counters there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next War: Korea is the first in the Next War series from GMT that's designed to simulate potential near future conflicts. It's not a simple system, though you can play with the basic or advanced rules. Next War: Taiwan and Next War: India/Pakistan are in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.