Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to arkayn's suggestion, I decided to post about some of my favorite cards and why I think they are good. Now my disclaimer: I really only have cards from Pandora Prime, Coronis Campaign, and Invasion: Verdicon (and not all of them) so I will only comment on cards that I have. Second, I only played this against a real opponent twice, 10 years ago, so my evaluation is primarily based on how I think the card would play, not on how they actually play. Also, I'm a sucker for cool art, so the card has to look cool for me to like it. And no, this list is not exhaustive:

First up is Mardrethir Pathfinders:

Why this card? Well for one thing I love the hidden sniper depiction. The stats (1/2/1) certainly aren't that impressive, but I love having lots of sixes in my deck. The command line definitely is useful, though not amazing. It comes back to the card's ability: "BA Lock (6+):Lock all copies of one unit. Infiltrate a unit from your hand with the same die as the units locked this way." That test can be hard to pass, but with the right deck (remember I like a lot of sixes) the odds can definitely be in your favor. I like that it can lock down a large number of enemy units and then on top of that, you infiltrate another unit! Are there better cards? Sure, but the ability, dice, and art combine to make this one a favorite.

Next up is the Thunderhawk Gunship:

Sweet art. Amazing speed. Great Defense. The command line rallies ALL of your assault units with a fairly passable test! Any Troop Capacity: 3 is valuable, but when combined with that reaction that can give you an additional BA you have some serious damage output that is hitting them fast.

My favorite common, Squad Damocles:

The 3/2/3 stats are solid. Add in Counterattack and you have a great standard unit that ends up in every Space Marine deck of mine, no matter the army (Blood Angels, Dark Angels, etc.). And yes, it's always 4 copies.

From the Imperial Guard, Leman Russ:

Because I also enjoy the playing the Imperial Guard, I had to include at least one, but it was difficult to decide, so I just chose one that represents what I like about a lot of them. I really like the synergy that the Imperial Guard often relies on. Between requirements for artillery (Kane's Squad), fortifications (Veteran Cityfighters), or line units (Leman Russ) these cards can make for some cool combos.

Last up is Commander Azrael:

I'm not into the whole WH40K universe, but when I got this card, I had to look up who Azrael was, this being a foil and all. Basically it said he's a super hardcore dude. So why doesn't this card reflect his awesomeness? I personally find this card to be fairly disappointing. His abilities and command line are pretty bland and there are other cards that can do the same things, but better. It's certainly nice that his dice is a 6, but that certainly isn't enough. So he's not a favorite, but I wish he was. This was my first foil character card so I really want to like this card, but I can't see myself eager to use him. A simple change they could have made to his design that would make him appealing to me would be if instead of "E: You get +1 flag" he had "E: You get +2 flags". Just one more flag would make him so much more useful. But maybe I'm overlooking something about him? If anyone has some incite as to a combo that makes him awesome or something, please let me know!

Bonus disappointing card, Venerari. How is this card any good?

So share some of your favorites. And please tell me how to use Azrael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMav wrote:
Thanks to arkayn's suggestion, I decided to post about some of my favorite cards and why I think they are good.

Nice work.. I like it.

Mardrethir Pathfinders:
I'm not a huge fan of 6+ tests because they can cause so much heartache. But if you have someone like Fuegan (Command Line: M: If you have a psyker, change the roll to a 6), or a ton of 6's in the deck, that helps. Against Chaos, I'm afraid this guy is pure deadweight. I hate Chaos.

Thunderhawk Gunship
Such a good troop capacity unit. 0/5/4, Troop Capacity: 3, multi-action on a 3+, and a great command line. Unfortunately, I don't have any, but I was never a Space Marine player, and the one Marines deck I have together now is Blood Angels.

Squad Damocles
Pretty much the poster child for Space Marines and how they're better unit-for-unit than any other faction. Their only weakness is that they're Ultramarines. They don't go great in Blood Angels (because your hand size = number of Blood Angels, so you want to be so careful about non-BA's in your deck), or Space Wolves (both because they're not an assault unit and not SW's). But they're fantastic in vanilla Marines or Dark Angels decks.

Leman Russ
Gotta love the IG heavy machinery. Guard infantry are so weak and smooshy, but they make up for with stuff like the Leman Russ and all their artillery. Shooting for 3 and boost all my line units? Yes, please.

Commander Azrael
Quote:
This was my first foil character card so I really want to like this card, but I can't see myself eager to use him. A simple change they could have made to his design that would make him appealing to me would be if instead of "E: You get +1 flag" he had "E: You get +2 flags". Just one more flag would make him so much more useful. But maybe I'm overlooking something about him? If anyone has some incite as to a combo that makes him awesome or something, please let me know!

I don't think there's any secret to him, but he's just a well-rounded good character. And he addresses some of the Marines' few weaknesses. a) They need characters to do well, but that can leave them without enough flags to take sectors. Ta-da: character with a flag. b) They have strong units, but few of them. Here you go: rally one to get double use out of him, and oh hey, give your Dark Angels some counterattack to potentially get another kill. Counterattack is really good, although sometimes I do think that the designers overvalued it slightly. c) He's a 6. Space Marines have some great units that are mostly in the 2-4 range, but once you get to their 5's and 6's, they drop off pretty quickly. Even look at Squad Hesperos, which is only a 5. It's an MH rare, so you may not have seen it, but it contrasts with Squad Damocles really well... both are 3/2/3 Counterattack. But Squad Hesperos has no flag and is unique (and he moves to another sector as an E:, which is usually a disadvantage but since he has no flag anyway, it's not bad). His Command Line is: "BA: Infiltrate this unit. Only usable if this is your first BA." Which could be good, but there are a lot of things you want to do with your first BA. Most of their 6 die units, meanwhile, look more like IG units with 1/2/1, 1/3/2, 2/2/2 stat lines and a weak assault.

Quote:

Wow, no. Just awful. laugh That one should have had at least a die of 4. And maybe a useful command line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
I hate Chaos.

Ditto. Ended up with a bunch when I bought an old collection and don't plan to use them. Ever.

Quote:
Commander Azrael
I don't think there's any secret to him, but he's just a well-rounded good character. And he addresses some of the Marines' few weaknesses. a) They need characters to do well, but that can leave them without enough flags to take sectors. Ta-da: character with a flag. b) They have strong units, but few of them. Here you go: rally one to get double use out of him, and oh hey, give your Dark Angels some counterattack to potentially get another kill. Counterattack is really good, although sometimes I do think that the designers overvalued it slightly. c) He's a 6. Space Marines have some great units that are mostly in the 2-4 range, but once you get to their 5's and 6's, they drop off pretty quickly.

Well, you've convinced me that he's not so bad I'll have to include him in the Dark Angels deck I'm building.

Quote:
Quote:

Wow, no. Just awful. laugh That one should have had at least a die of 4. And maybe a useful command line.

You're right about that die value. I think I would actually find it pretty useful if he had a die of 4 or 5. The ability to give ANY unit +1 firepower is actually pretty nice when you're trying to build a counterattack deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMav wrote:
Well, you've convinced me that he's not so bad I'll have to include him in the Dark Angels deck I'm building.

Heh. Yeah, he's probably pretty good in a Dark Angels deck focused around counterattacking. I don't think I'd ever include him in a Space Wolves or Blood Angels deck (seems like a common theme, I guess, though some cards are good enough to get past the faction bias of those two fleet cards).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're right about that die value. I think I would actually find it pretty useful if he had a die of 4 or 5. The ability to give ANY unit +1 firepower is actually pretty nice when you're trying to build a counterattack deck.

Hmm... yeah, giving away +1 firepower is pretty good, it just doesn't quite make up for a Space Marine unit with 2/1/3 and a die of 2 that can't pass its own test, when Space Marines have some of the best statlines across the board. With a die of 5, that card would actually be really good in a deck that can use the synergy of its FP boost and commandline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMav wrote:
arkayn wrote:
I hate Chaos.

Ditto. Ended up with a bunch when I bought an old collection and don't plan to use them. Ever.

Then you guys are missing out on one of the most synergistic factions that the game produced.

If you want to see how insidious a Chaos deck can be, check out my post from 6 years ago that listed some of my decks.

Found My Old Tournament Decks

I had to retire that Chaos one in order to give the other players in my area (Los Angeles) a chance at tournaments. While I'm not a fan of denial deck strategies in any game, this one pretty much built itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
TheMav wrote:
arkayn wrote:
I hate Chaos.

Then you guys are missing out on one of the most synergistic factions that the game produced.

If you want to see how insidious a Chaos deck can be, check out my post from 6 years ago that listed some of my decks.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it. That's why I hate Chaos. I do a 2+ test: Okay, you get -5 to your roll and I rally all of my guys. Then I take 6 BA's in a row and wipe out your forces because Chaos troops are just about as good as Space Marines (but with higher First Wave and better card synergy), and meanwhile my Dark Eldar are mostly 0/2/2 with a crappy assault.

I didn't hate other people playing Chaos because they were easy to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:

Are you saying Chaos decks were easy to beat? I'm sincerely curious as to how you beat a deck that never let's you succeed a roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMav wrote:
arkayn wrote:

Are you saying Chaos decks were easy to beat?

Quite the opposite.

I realize that sentence parses weird when it's written down. If I said it out loud, you'd hear the emphasis. (edit: maybe this rephrasing makes more sense... "I hated playing against Chaos - and it wasn't because they were easy to beat (because they weren't).")

The thing about playing against Chaos - the "obvious" answer is, don't rely on your tests because you won't pass them, and don't even try them because the Chaos player has reactions they can play when you fail.

But that's a problem when half the Chaos units are 3/2/3. Especially if you're playing Dark Eldar - their units can shoot yours down and the only way you can kill theirs are assaults (at the worst, you charge, they kill, you charge, they kill - at best, you use troop capacity and trade them units 2 for 1), or tests, or assaults PLUS tests. And then on top of that all the multi-BA's that Chaos had (before most of them were banned)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Szoke
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have the same feelings for Chaos decks. I managed to build an Ork Cult of Speed deck that won against Chaos in 70% of the cases, which I considered a major success. No other deck was able to get any close to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.