Subject: Another house rules for culling and other things rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christophe Sicard
France
SETE
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, I write these house rules, inspired by what I read here and elsewhere, what do you think?

1) If you choose to score glory, you cull the scoring dice or cull an assistant of your used pile for each scoring creature you do not want to cull.
1) If you choose to score glory, you cull no dice unless special ability.
2) If you do not scoring glory (by choose or not), you can choose up to two dices from your used pile and cull it.
3) When a player has enough glory to win the game; continue to play until the player who last played in the first round play one more turn, unless if it is the same player who Scored.

Goals:
- Cancel the first player bonus.
- Cancel the "win-win" effect.
- Give a true role for these assistants (because they are there every game, it's better to give them a true interest).
- Give more tactical choices: eg score glory (and perhaps must to cull a good creature)or build your deck dice; manage your number of assistants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Another house rules for culling, assistants and other things
Assistant already has a role - it's a good dice to use for rerolls and it serves as a basic solder for certain purposes, so for some strategies it's good to have several of them.

I've basically found that the rule "either score the glory and cull the scoring die or not score the glory and cull any one die from used pile" that is most common here is just fine and fixes most of problems. Other variations of this seem to either speed up or slow down the game too much. But the reality is, that unless you increase the end game trigger (more points), it's almost always beneficial to just score. With longer game, your engine strategy makes more sense and has the time to spread its wings, but then again not everyone is interested in longer game.

I also play with corrupted quiddity variant on score track (works nice to headwind the leading player) and in general, always with few corruption cards, to increase the interaction between players. I think that there was another interesting variant somewhere with saving quiddity or something like that (to mitigate no quiddity rolls in the long run).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Sicard
France
SETE
flag msg tools
mb
rattkin wrote:
Assistant already has a role - it's a good dice to use for rerolls and it serves as a basic solder for certain purposes, so for some strategies it's good to have several of them.

Yes if they have an interest but not enough to buy (something I've never seen, even if then 1pt),so yes if you have nothing else (at the begining), but in general the best we can do with this is cull it (after scoring glory if possible ^ ^) IMO

Well, to be honest, at first I had not included the rule for assistants, I myself may be too carried away by my enthusiasm (too is the enemy of good)?laugh

Without caring assistants, my rule would rather this one, do you think this is viable and / or interesting?

2) If you do not scoring glory (by choose or not), you can choose up to two dices from your used pile and cull it.
3) When a player has enough glory to win the game; continue to play until the player who last played in the first round play one more turn, unless if it is the same player who Scored.

Quote:
But the reality is, that unless you increase the end game trigger (more points), it's almost always beneficial to just score.

In agreement with this, and more, I think it's against-intuitive to lose dice that score glory, so that I am a bit reluctant with this rule.

Otherwise thank you for your comments !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
chsic wrote:

This would easily turn on the snowball effect. Play the game more, test your variants, you'll see where the weaknesses are. With these things, discussing is rarely productive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Sicard
France
SETE
flag msg tools
mb
I will follow your advice (I'm not very experienced), even if I want to change some things, I will think more and test.
But I am open to other comments on these proposals (1, 2 and 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vito Arcidiacono
Italy
milano
italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i use the following rules:

1) Assistants and creatures with glory greater then two (at scoring time) don't make you cull any dice.
2) For each two assistant scored at same time you can cull one dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.