United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: have since then played RoV on iOS.
Also, added the "cards you can only Acquire by defeating Monsters" subsection

My shorthand notation for referring to cards…
(x/y, faction/type, description) for non-monsters where:
x = cost in runes
y = honor value (bottom left corner of card)
faction = v for void, m for mechana, l for lifebound, and e for enlightened
type = h for hero, c for construct
(x/y, description) for monsters where:
x in red = power to defeat it
y = intrinsic honor value as part of reward for defeating the monster

Other abbreviations:
CR = center row
My = Mystic
HI = Heavy Infantry

CotG = Chronicle Of The Godslayer = base game
RotF = Return Of The Fallen = 1st expansion
SoS = Storm Of Souls = 2nd expansion
IH = Immortal Heroes = 3rd expansion
RoV = Rise Of Vigil = 4th expansion
DU = Darkness Unleashed = 5th expansion
RU = Realms Unraveled = 6th expansion

DBG = deck building game

Some interesting facts about this set:
-There is nothing that can destroy constructs in this game. Once you put any of them into play, they’ll stay there for the rest of the game.
-There’s finally a 2-cost construct! (2/2 m/c)*
-new borders on cards. See components section below in this review

-There’s finally a 2 cost monster (2/1) that appears in the CR! Shakes things up from the Cultist since 1) its reward lets you banish a card in the CR which can affect things and 2) there was at least one card which triggers an effect when you defeat a CR monster (draw 2 cards upon doing so) *
-There’s finally a case where the amount of honor you get from defeating a Monster is more than the amount of power power to defeat it (Sadistic Giants 4/5)!*

Disclaimer: I have yet to play RoV and DU

COMPONENTS
Pretty standard stuff. Honor tokens are clear/small and red/medium, all plastic and pointy, just like all of the other sets, except for the flat cardboard ones in Ascension: Apprentice Edition. The Cultist card here explicitly states it doesn’t go to the Void when killed, and you can kill as many of them as you can per turn (which was a source of confusion and arguments for CotG).

What’s different here are the board and card layouts (the way the features of the front of the card are laid out). The board has a yellow motif, and features art from the box and cards. Otherwise, there’s still the same spaces for My, HI, Cultist, Void, Portal Deck, Honor Pool, and 6 CR slots (Event and Fanatic now omitted since SoS and IH). The card layout differs where there’s now a thick, colored border on each one. White denotes starter card (ie. Apprentice and militia), gray-ish/tan border for non-CR cards (ie. My, HI, transformed cards), and black for CR cards (ie. monsters, other heroes and constructs). Makes setting up and putting the game away much easier when you see a card with a distinctly different colored border in say, you’re Portal Deck. There’s still background color on the rest of the card itself used to denote the in game elements color coded for your convenience… light blue for Enlightened, light green for Lifebound, brown-ish tan for Mechana, light purple for Void, and red for Monsters. Last but not least, the number of cards in the game is indicated with a number of pips/dots in the lower right hand corner. No more color coded nonsense from previous sets.

Oh, the “Transformed” cards are offered in a 2-sided version (simply flip the card to easily transform it, but then I’m not sure how that would work since it’d stand out in your player deck), or the standard version for those who sleeve their cards.

standout gameplay elements
Multi-Unite: This one’s new to RU.... Much like the Unite effect from sets like SoS and IH (and Dandelion Witch from RotF minus the actual word “Unite” from its text) and Fate from RotF and SoS, it actually tells you how this works on the card itself. The overview of it is when you play a card with a multi-unite effect, anytime you play another hero of the same faction, you get that Multi-Unite effect as well.

For example below with Deathdealer Noble (2/1, v/h), you get 2 power from playing him. Play a 2nd v/h and you’ll now have 3 power. Play a 3rd v/h that gives you 1 power anyways and you’ll now have 5 power (1+1).
If his power was “Unite” instead of “Multi-Unite”, the 2nd v/h you played would get you a 3rd power, but the 3rd v/h would give you a 4th power. No more additional power from that Unite effect after the 1st time it’s been done.

Speaking of which, Unite was something that was only found in l/h. Now, you see Multi-Unite with the other factions as well, as clearly was the case with the sample card above.

Transform: was in DU IIRC. Reminds me of the Prizes In Dominion Cornucopia where they can only be earned, not bought. When a condition is met on a card (examples include if you have played 2 or more v/h, l/h, m/h, or e/h this turn, or if there are 8 or more Monsters in the Void), the card in your hand gets “upgraded”/” transmogrified”, it gets replaced with the new, appropriate card. These can be from Heroes to Transformed Heroes, Enlightened Constructs to Transformed Enlightened Constructs, or defeating a Monster to get a Transformed Hero. The rulebook mentions that they stay Transformed until the end of the game, where they’re then reset. If this was the case, why bother putting honor value on the bottom left hand corners then? Is it so that you have something to go by if you combine this set with others that’ll look at honor values? Heck, there’s even an e/h in this set that lets you “upgrade” (think Journeyman Sage promo, 4/2, e/h; or Remodel in Dominion terms). How do you set it back then? Still, they do add a new gameplay element that encourages you to go different ways. Especially with steering towards purchases certain factions of heroes when typically, you may have just gone for sheer honor or conventional engine instead. Speaking of which….

multi-faction cards: A paladin of sorts decides to strap on some power suit or laser gun. Now he’s both Enlightened and Mechana Hero. “Enlightened Mechana Hero”, or as I’ll call abbreviate it, em/h. This is of course nice if you have synergies that look for specific factions to trigger benefits, like Transform conditions, when you purchase a Mechana card, Multi-Unite, declare a faction and gain 1 honor per hero of that faction played this turn, etc. Oh, and the background for this particular card is half blue, half brown.

cards you can only Acquire by defeating Monsters:
There are several of these. It's not some huge gameplay thing per say, but like what Fanatics and Event cards did for those incorporating a power deck in SoS and IH, it certainly gives some exclusive options to such paths.

Nihilistic monster (3/? acquire the Borderland Mercenary, see photo down below in this thread) is the only way to get the Borderland Mercenary.

Adayu The Serene is acquired by defeating Adayu The Tormented (7/0)

actual gameplay
I’ve only played 3 games with just this set alone. For the most part, it’s similar to previous sets. There are several paths you can go for victory such as getting the right factions to trigger Construct effects, Transformations. Each game will feel like there’s enough meaningful choices. I found myself skipping the typical 1/1 purchases for cards that’ll provide a better engine or more potential if the game's still before the halfway point. There were some effects that were new to me, like gain 3 honor if you have the most honor (encouraging you to take the lead there and maintain it), defeating a 3/2 Monster or 5/3 Monster that gives you an additional +1 or +2 honor respectively for each card that was played that turn of a faction you name (so if you played 3 Voids that turn, declare Void to get +3 or +6 honor respectively which encourages you to focus on one faction), or a card that’s a hybrid of Askara Tower and Elder Skeptic from SoS. Here, it’s draw 2 cards and discard 1 from hand. Take it back into your hand if it’s an enlightened card.

Some of the constructs are relatively weak to account for the fact that you got no way to destroy them (forced by opponents or by yourself for benefit), but others end up being strong, like one m/c that lets you top deck a hero (or was it put it in your hand?). A Transformed construct gives you 2 honor per turn. I suppose in these cases, you need to end the game ASAP. However, I do acknowledge that those who invested heavily in constructs in previous sets can get really hosed if they put a mess of them out, and a bad timing of defeating a monster right there destroys most/all of them. That player never gets to use the full potential of his constructs and synergies and will come out behind.

However, in the end, it’s still an Ascension game, let alone a euro-card game, so expect to get hosed or blessed by the way the CR won’t have any cards you’d like (kill that 5/3? Monster, banish 2 cards in your discard pile… except you don’t have a discard pile angry Someone else buys out the card you wanted. All cards in the CR are monsters, or non-monsters) or doles out just the cards you need.

The 3p games I've played have all lasted about 45 minutes. However, everyone's either played before, or were at least very familiar with previous Ascension sets, especially those implemented on iOS.

However, what’ll probably keep me from purchasing this game are the power creeps that range from large to VERY large that can result in some 20+ honor turns that can occur in this game. It just kind of feels bad for the other players when something like this happens, and that could hurt the longevity of such a game.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I transformed a 6 or 7 cost v/h card into a Transformed Emri. He let me kill 2 Monsters in the Void. Contrast that to the Sadronis 7/4, v/h card from RotF that only lets you defeat one Monster in the Void as if it were in the CR

There’s a card like Pathwarden (promo, 6/3, l/h, use runes as if they were power) in this set too, of which I always thought that effect can be OP since it's sooo flexible).

Then you have an expensive e/h card (7 or 8 runes IIRC) that let’s you reveal the top card of the Portal Deck and just acquire it. Swingy, but not that bad. However, this is a Multi-Unite effect. That means if you have enough e/h in your deck, this can be spammable. Combine this with a Sage Of Lucid Dreams (4/2/ e/h that lets you banish a card in hand and acquire a new hero with up to 1 honor more than that, aka like Journeyman Sage promo 4/2, e/h), and someone was able to score a 100pt turn due to this alone! I believe one game, someone scored 175pts from going through 75% of the Portal deck right then and there! (very long term ), with a total score of 314 or so.

However, not everyone would mind it either. You see this sort of thing in previous Ascension sets, and to a lesser extents, other DBG. I can see myself playing this game again even not being pushed to buy it.

Also, I don’t think I’d mind this sort of thing if it was a digital game, multiplayer async play where at least the sheer time it takes and being demolished by that many points is easier to deal with. Even less of an issue if an AI opponent can pull it off (usually not, so it won’t be an issue anyways)

Last but not least, while this set works standalone, I would relish the chance to try this with other sets. Perhaps add the ability to destroy constructs, Event cards, and other synergies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Then you have an expensive e/h card (7 or 8 runes IIRC) that let’s you reveal the top card of the Portal Deck and just acquire it. Swingy, but not that bad. However, this is a Multi-Unite effect. That means if you have enough e/h in your deck, this can be spammable. Combine this with a Sage Of Lucid Dreams (4/2/ e/h that lets you banish a card in hand and acquire a new hero with up to 1 honor more than that, aka like Journeyman Sage promo 4/2, e/h), and someone was able to score a 100pt turn due to this alone! I believe one game, someone scored 175pts from going through 75% of the Portal deck right then and there! (very long term ), with a total score of 314 or so.[/o]

I am not sure if the multi-unite feature is being understood. To repeat you have to play another hero of the type necessary. It is not an infinite repeat. If somehow you were able to draw 6 enlightened cards into your hand and there happened to be more enlightened cards in the center row/deck that you could upgrade into then you might get 8-10 honor in cards. While this set makes it more likely, I don't see how you can get through 2/3s of the center deck. Please explain how this was done.

I agree with swingy with this set as the ability to upgrade cards depends very much on your card draw assuming that you bought the right card(s). My concern for this set lies in the high number of cards that banish and/or draw. The decks got thin quick and I think for 4-5 turns both players (2 player game) were playing their entire deck each turn. The player who just so happen to buy the transform cards and transform them had a huge leg up. This feels very reminiscent of playing Rise of the Vigil by itself. I did not find that much fun as turns tended to run long and you never knew what was going to happen based on the energy that you drew.

This is another case where playing the set as a 'block' turned out not to be that enjoyable. As I am very experienced with Ascension I cannot speak to if this is a good set for new players (perhaps it is).

I hope that it suffers the same fate at Rise of the Vigil when it was mixed into the rest of the sets (I have all of them and all the promos). It made the novelty of the new mechanic(energy in the case of RotV) a feature of the game and not the focus of the play. It became one more thing to consider not the only thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Oh, the “Transformed” cards are offered in a 2-sided version (simply flip the card to easily transform it, but then I’m not sure how that would work since it’d stand out in your player deck), or the standard version for those who sleeve their cards.

I believe the intent was the normal version for unsleeved cards and if you sleeve cards you use the double side and flip the card in the sleeve when it transforms. That's how I've been using them when my wife and I play anyway and it works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great extensive summary of what's new/different in Realms Unraveled!

bookblogger wrote:
I believe the intent was the normal version for unsleeved cards and if you sleeve cards you use the double side and flip the card in the sleeve when it transforms. That's how I've been using them when my wife and I play anyway and it works just fine.

The double sided cards really only work if you have opaque sleeves so that you can't tell them apart in your deck or portal deck.

NoDicePlease wrote:
My concern for this set lies in the high number of cards that banish and/or draw. The decks got thin quick and I think for 4-5 turns both players (2 player game) were playing their entire deck each turn.

I haven't noticed this to be significantly different from previous sets (except for RoV which was low on both until DU is added). The major change to banishing is that it is strictly from your discard pile (much like Dark Energy in DU) so it will trigger less often in the beginning of the game when your deck is small and you have an increased chance of drawing banishers right after shuffling. I'm not sure I like this change but I'll have to play more games to find out. Also the fact that constructs remain in play means that they won't be cycling through your deck which also keeps decks thin. Here's how the number of cards that banish and draw compare to previous base sets:

CotG / SoS / RoV / RU
Draw 25 24* 16 26
Banish 12 12* 12** 16

*Also shows up on an Event
**5 of these are Energize effects

I have noticed so far that games don't last as long on average because of the increased number of cards that provide honor (I believe, will have to check) and how quickly decks can ramp up due to multi-unite abilities and what seems to be a generally power-level increase overall. I've enjoyed the faster pace of this set so far but, again, I'll have to play more to get a feeling for if my limited experience so far truly reflects what RU offers or was just based on what showed up in the games I've played so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
The double sided cards really only work if you have opaque sleeves so that you can't tell them apart in your deck or portal deck.

We use the official Ascension sleeves. You can get them for a pretty good price if you buy the travel box that comes with 200 sleeves, the case, and a promo card.

I didn't sleeve them for my first 3 or so games and I really like playing sleeved better, especially with the transformation cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bookblogger wrote:

We use the official Ascension sleeves. You can get them for a pretty good price if you buy the travel box that comes with 200 sleeves, the case, and a promo card.

I didn't sleeve them for my first 3 or so games and I really like playing sleeved better, especially with the transformation cards.

I started sleeving when DU introduced the transform cards. I haven't sleeved any other games but absolutely agree that sleeves make the transform mechanic play much smoother. The introduction of grey borders on transformed cards makes switching them back much easier than in DU too. I also use the Ascension sleeves and travel case which are both great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Then you have an expensive e/h card (7 or 8 runes IIRC) that let’s you reveal the top card of the Portal Deck and just acquire it. Swingy, but not that bad. However, this is a Multi-Unite effect. That means if you have enough e/h in your deck, this can be spammable. Combine this with a Sage Of Lucid Dreams (4/2/ e/h that lets you banish a card in hand and acquire a new hero with up to 1 honor more than that, aka like Journeyman Sage promo 4/2, e/h), and someone was able to score a 100pt turn due to this alone! I believe one game, someone scored 175pts from going through 75% of the Portal deck right then and there! (very long term ), with a total score of 314 or so.[/o]

I am not sure if the multi-unite feature is being understood. To repeat you have to play another hero of the type necessary. It is not an infinite repeat. If somehow you were able to draw 6 enlightened cards into your hand and there happened to be more enlightened cards in the center row/deck that you could upgrade into then you might get 8-10 honor in cards. While this set makes it more likely, I don't see how you can get through 2/3s of the center deck. Please explain how this was done.
[/q]

They did had an extra e/h for each time they activated the Multi-Unite effect. For my table, the guy wasn't getting a so called "100 pt turn", but he was scoring ALOT from it, as he was successfully firing off the Multi-Unite in succession on single turns (around 3 to 5x per turn)

AFAIK, there were other things that helped along with this. I wasn't in that game, and I've only just started playing RU, so don't know the full details. For the table that got a huge amount of points, they at the very least were seasoned Ascension players from previous sets (especially the iOS version), with some folks already have played RU a few times before.

In all fairness, I don't know if anybody else caught the rule that at the end of the game, Transformed Heroes and Transformed Constructs revert to their former selves, which means they score you less honor in that regard)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmonual wrote:

In all fairness, I don't know if anybody else caught the rule that at the end of the game, Transformed Heroes and Transformed Constructs revert to their former selves, which means they score you less honor in that regard)

I don't think this is correct. It's worded confusingly in the rulebook but i believe the intent is that you score first then revert cards for the next game. I would use this rule to support my opinion:

Transform cards, page 6, third paragraph

"When counting your score at the end of the game, add only the Honor value of the version of the card that was in your deck when the game ended"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
Really great extensive summary of what's new/different in Realms Unraveled!

bookblogger wrote:

NoDicePlease wrote:
My concern for this set lies in the high number of cards that banish and/or draw. The decks got thin quick and I think for 4-5 turns both players (2 player game) were playing their entire deck each turn.

I haven't noticed this to be significantly different from previous sets (except for RoV which was low on both until DU is added). The major change to banishing is that it is strictly from your discard pile (much like Dark Energy in DU) so it will trigger less often in the beginning of the game when your deck is small and you have an increased chance of drawing banishers right after shuffling. I'm not sure I like this change but I'll have to play more games to find out. Also the fact that constructs remain in play means that they won't be cycling through your deck which also keeps decks thin. Here's how the number of cards that banish and draw compare to previous base sets:

CotG / SoS / RoV / RU
Draw 25 24* 16 26
Banish 12 12* 12** 16

*Also shows up on an Event
**5 of these are Energize effects

I have noticed so far that games don't last as long on average because of the increased number of cards that provide honor (I believe, will have to check) and how quickly decks can ramp up due to multi-unite abilities and what seems to be a generally power-level increase overall. I've enjoyed the faster pace of this set so far but, again, I'll have to play more to get a feeling for if my limited experience so far truly reflects what RU offers or was just based on what showed up in the games I've played so far.

Are you including monsters in your numbers? I was surprised how much banishing they were doing. The card that upgrades to another hero +1 honor can clean you up quick if gotten early and then it is/was off to the races. This is much like Arbiter of Precipice in the base set.

There are a number of monsters that also help you draw cards and all of this accelerated the decks. I think in the last game by the 3rd or 4th shuffle between the players only 4 apprentices and 2 militia remained. That was the quickest I have ever seen. It seemed that I was banishing 2 cards each run through and if I beat a monster another 1 or 2.

Maybe it was just the way the cards fell ... your numbers seem to bear this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:

Are you including monsters in your numbers? I was surprised how much banishing they were doing. The card that

Yeah, I included monsters (though I did forget Adayu for card draw). They are especially effective at both drawing and banishing so if they show up early and often it could lead to what you experienced. I wouldn't expect it to be the norm though.

Here's the list:
Draw
4 x Borderland Nihilist\Mercenary (3)
3 x Terrorizing Fiend - draw 2 (4)
1 x Adayu

Banish
3 x Wailing Spectre - banish 2 (5)

The monsters in DU as a whole seem to emphasize honor gain more than previous sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Definitely not. That's one of the perks of transforming them -- it gets you more honor. Also for Adayu and Erabus (from DU), it functions as the honor reward for defeating them (the reward for both is just transforming them, with no honor gain).

You do obviously switch them back for the original versions for the next game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first physical Ascension set I have purchased; I have played others on my iPad. It's true that the game is still swingy and sometimes despite your plays being about as theoretically optimal as possible that you'll still lose out.

However, I feel the mechanics in this one are, in general, the most interesting of any Ascension set thus far. Multi-unite gives you the strongest reason I have seen to specialize, yet the multi-faction cards allow you to still be a little more diverse at the same time. The transformation mechanic is a blast (although it is also equally painful when you see your opponent transform something fantastic even though you've been stuck with something in base form for umpteen turns).

Clearly, it's still Ascension. It's just the most interesting one yet.

Side note: it's quick enough and easy enough that my wife will join me for a match on weeknights. That's pretty much enough to justify owning it right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
...and rebuild it stronger!
badge
That's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to throw out there that we've played the new version several times. In one four player game, I ended the game on Turn 7, with a total of 278 points (everyone else was around 30 points). In a game we played two nights ago, I caused the end game to trigger around the usual time, but on my friend's last turn, he played for an hour and half by himself and racked up 600 points to my 82.

Yes, we know how Multi-unite works and did, in fact, play it correctly. What happens is one player will get Neophyte Mentor, perhaps Borderland Mercenaries, etc. Sometimes Lucid card-upgrade guy too. They will use these to acquire Dhartha, and they filter through the deck so fast that they easily shortly after will have a turn that lets them Dhartha several cards. IF they happen to Dhartha into Adayu, the game is over. One the turn when they can play Dhartha and Adayu with a few other enlightened heroes, these insane swings will happen. These cards let them acquire so many cards from the portal deck - if they then hit Cetra or Emri, the swing magnifies even further.

You think 100 point swings in a single turn can't happen? I watched a 500+ point swing happen in a single turn.

We are working on modifying our copy of Realms with the (matching frame) cards from Apprentice Edition to try and remove these degenerate combos. We love so much about the new edition, but so far it has played swingier than Rise of Vigil. Hopefully with a bit of tweaking and testing we can tame it and keep it tight and fun. Multi-unite is a super fun mechanic, but needs to be carefully placed on cards to prevent these kinds of scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day2Dan wrote:
Just wanted to throw out there that we've played the new version several times. In one four player game, I ended the game on Turn 7, with a total of 278 points (everyone else was around 30 points). In a game we played two nights ago, I caused the end game to trigger around the usual time, but on my friend's last turn, he played for an hour and half by himself and racked up 600 points to my 82.

Yes, we know how Multi-unite works and did, in fact, play it correctly. What happens is one player will get Neophyte Mentor, perhaps Borderland Mercenaries, etc. Sometimes Lucid card-upgrade guy too. They will use these to acquire Dhartha, and they filter through the deck so fast that they easily shortly after will have a turn that lets them Dhartha several cards. IF they happen to Dhartha into Adayu, the game is over. One the turn when they can play Dhartha and Adayu with a few other enlightened heroes, these insane swings will happen. These cards let them acquire so many cards from the portal deck - if they then hit Cetra or Emri, the swing magnifies even further.

These are among some of the "offending" or "enabling" cards....

Day2Dan wrote:
You think 100 point swings in a single turn can't happen? I watched a 500+ point swing happen in a single turn.

We are working on modifying our copy of Realms with the (matching frame) cards from Apprentice Edition to try and remove these degenerate combos. We love so much about the new edition, but so far it has played swingier than Rise of Vigil. Hopefully with a bit of tweaking and testing we can tame it and keep it tight and fun. Multi-unite is a super fun mechanic, but needs to be carefully placed on cards to prevent these kinds of scenarios.
I was thinking about such house rules and mods too. All I got thus far was to limit those Multi-Unite effects to no more than 3x to 5x per turn, combined. You'd need a list of all the cards that will have this limitation, as not all Multi-Unites are this "hideous".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day2Dan wrote:
... I caused the end game to trigger around the usual time, but on my friend's last turn, he played for an hour and half by himself and racked up 600 points to my 82.

I want more details. How did he go for an hour and a half?

Just a thought: did he make sure to only discard his played cards at the end of his turn, or did he discard as he went?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
It's possible that since acquired cards go to your discard pile, that the player was replenishing his discard pile. Then when he could draw a card, he would just reshuffle his newly acquired cards and draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still he must never encountered a monster and only gotten enlighted heroes... (as far as I understand those cards... don't have this set yet)
Sounds very unlikely to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
That's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
dieseledge wrote:
It's possible that since acquired cards go to your discard pile, that the player was replenishing his discard pile. Then when he could draw a card, he would just reshuffle his newly acquired cards and draw.

This is precisely right.

I assure you all, we are well aware of how the game plays. Purchased cards went to the discard, played cards stayed in play. I actually stepped away from the game while he played this time, having done this combo myself (while 3 other players watched) in our second time playing.

He encountered plenty of monsters, and killed them all. Adayu gives you all the resources you need, and they build up as you play more cards, which he was acquiring for free with Cetra and Dhartha. He had Emri as well, so he could kill monsters from the void. There are 4 monsters in the set that draw you 2 cards when you kill them, which help you keep going. Borderland Mercenary is acquired when defeated and draws another card and can count as enlightened, so playing those with Adayu and Dhartha effectively makes the effect read: "Draw 2 cards. Acquire or defeat the top card of the center deck." Neophyte Mentor makes your Mystics Enlightened, in this scenario adding card draw and card acquiring to them. Voidforged Paladin (name might be off, this is top-of-my-head right now) in this context gives you 3 power, 1 card, acquires the top card of the center deck, and if you defeat a monster in the center row, you draw 2 more cards.

I shouldn't need to go on - this combination of cards in a slim-enough deck (which is not hard with the Multi-Unite Upgrader turning your apprentices/militia into Mystics or better) easily gets entirely out of hand. Yeah, it usually depends on Dhartha hitting Adayu to get going, but we've seen it happen several times now. It's totally ludicrous when it gets going.

If you want to see if it is possible yourself, try fixing the deck to set it up in a solo game and have fun. Try to top 600, the new high score!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day2Dan wrote:
dieseledge wrote:

This is precisely right.

I assure you all, we are well aware of how the game plays. Purchased cards went to the discard, played cards stayed in play. I actually stepped away from the game while he played this time, having done this combo myself (while 3 other players watched) in our second time playing.

He encountered plenty of monsters, and killed them all. Adayu gives you all the resources you need, and they build up as you play more cards, which he was acquiring for free with Cetra and Dhartha. He had Emri as well, so he could kill monsters from the void. There are 4 monsters in the set that draw you 2 cards when you kill them, which help you keep going. Borderland Mercenary is acquired when defeated and draws another card and can count as enlightened, so playing those with Adayu and Dhartha effectively makes the effect read: "Draw 2 cards. Acquire or defeat the top card of the center deck." Neophyte Mentor makes your Mystics Enlightened, in this scenario adding card draw and card acquiring to them. Voidforged Paladin (name might be off, this is top-of-my-head right now) in this context gives you 3 power, 1 card, acquires the top card of the center deck, and if you defeat a monster in the center row, you draw 2 more cards.

I shouldn't need to go on - this combination of cards in a slim-enough deck (which is not hard with the Multi-Unite Upgrader turning your apprentices/militia into Mystics or better) easily gets entirely out of hand. Yeah, it usually depends on Dhartha hitting Adayu to get going, but we've seen it happen several times now. It's totally ludicrous when it gets going.

If you want to see if it is possible yourself, try fixing the deck to set it up in a solo game and have fun. Try to top 600, the new high score!!

I was recently playing a solo game and scored 310 points after a 1 hour turn... so... yeah I get it now

Jimminy. I'm really glad I have the Apprentice Edition to switch out some of the crazier stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
That's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:

I was recently playing a solo game and scored 310 points after a 1 hour turn... so... yeah I get it now

Jimminy. I'm really glad I have the Apprentice Edition to switch out some of the crazier stuff.

Haha, glad to hear it corroborated finally...we haven't gotten a chance to test many of our Apprentice Edition changes yet, but maybe we will have to swap notes once we've gotten some more playtests in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day2Dan wrote:
Quizoid wrote:

Haha, glad to hear it corroborated finally...we haven't gotten a chance to test many of our Apprentice Edition changes yet, but maybe we will have to swap notes once we've gotten some more playtests in.

I've had success with the scenario called, Ascension: Realms Restored.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksysg6th2uxz0vm/AscensionScenarios...

It's like Realms Unraveled after Adayu's all better. It's a very simple switch-out for the big four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think this is a set with some great ideas but very poor testing. I won't play it anymore as is. I like the big turns of earlier sets, where your plays are cool enough that it can be fun even for the other players to watch. But with the non-stop multi-unite madness, it isn't even fun for the person playing. In a recent game, I lost count of the number of transform abilities I had available, and I thought it wouldn't matter, but I kept on drawing cards and finding transform targets. I am a big fan of Ascension, but this is the first set I will avoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
Yes, I think this is a set with some great ideas but very poor testing. I won't play it anymore as is. I like the big turns of earlier sets, where your plays are cool enough that it can be fun even for the other players to watch. But with the non-stop multi-unite madness, it isn't even fun for the person playing. In a recent game, I lost count of the number of transform abilities I had available, and I thought it wouldn't matter, but I kept on drawing cards and finding transform targets. I am a big fan of Ascension, but this is the first set I will avoid.

I wouldn't avoid it entirely. The more powerful nature of lower-cost cards really makes this one of the more fun ones. The switch-out (or just removal) of the big four really just puts an end to the silly-long turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:

After playing Realms Unleashed a great deal on Android, I have grown to like it very much. The worst card in the paper version has been replaced. Also, if both players expect that things can get crazy from time to time, the negative reaction I mentioned before isn't a problem. It can be cool to see someone pull off something insane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
Rainstar wrote:

After playing Realms Unleashed a great deal on Android, I have grown to like it very much. The worst card in the paper version has been replaced. Also, if both players expect that things can get crazy from time to time, the negative reaction I mentioned before isn't a problem. It can be cool to see someone pull off something insane

The crazy combos are much more fun on iOS. You can hit "play all" and watch cards fly to help prevent running out of time. In person, they just aren't fun, though. The games are too long and meaningful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.