Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking into adding an 'epic' game to my collection. In doing research, it seems that Rex: Fall of an Empire or The Game of Thrones Board Game will suit my needs. So which is better based on my needs for this type of game, or am I overlooking another title that would be even better?

What I'm looking for:

-plays well with 3 or 4 as that is the player count that will be most common.
-plays in under 3 hours consistently
-relatively simple rules to be able to easily introduce more novice gamers without sacrificing depth and tactical play
-theme isn't the be all end all, but something that's really dry probably wouldn't go over well

I'm honestly leaning more towards Rex (the battle system looks very fun), but I've heard you have to get to the 5-6 player count for it to really shine. I've played GoT before, and fear it might give my more novice friends AP even though it would probably play better with the lower player count.

What say you, BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and love both games and would suggest it comes down mainly to your gaming group. In GoT you need the other players to help you to the point where you can win, then you stab them in the back so that you can win (much like the books and show). In Rex the treachery is driven by cards and gameplay rather than table talk and alliances.

So if you've got a group who are happy to shaft each other and then laugh about it afterwards go GoT. If relationships may be in danger then go with Rex so you can blame it on the game!

Also, if you're going 4 player with GoT then pick up the Feast for Crows expansion, purpose built for four players and takes some of the backstabbing out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Rex plays with three it's not the best that way. It starts playing nice at 4+ (at least that's how I feel)
If you're looking for something big, I could recommend Warrior Knights. It scales from 2-6, takes place in (hypothetical?) medieval Europe, has interesting combat and action resolution mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
terpitude71 wrote:
-plays well with 3 or 4 as that is the player count that will be most common.
-plays in under 3 hours consistently
-relatively simple rules to be able to easily introduce more novice gamers without sacrificing depth and tactical play

Neither game fits any of these criteria. Anyway, I don't know of any "epic" game that takes less than three hours and/or is newbie-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, Game of Thrones will only be good for four players with the addition of the Feast for Crows expansion. Otherwise it is okay for five but definitely best with the maximum six players.

I think with that expansion you should be able to get in under three hours, especially after your first game. The base game with the full player count will probably go longer.

One game that plays fast but still has an epic feel is Kemet. It has an Ancient Egyptian theme (with magic and giant monsters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World sounds like your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Farrell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think you might be hard-pressed to find an "epic" game that is under 3 hours and easy to learn. Most games that I would classify as "epic" take a while and/or they are complex and have a learning curve.

I have never played Rex, so I cannot directly speak into it. I own GoT and I would say do not even attempt it with less than 6 people, unless you have the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) – A Feast for Crows (which let's you play with 4, not 3). It changes the game a lot and may be less complex for newbies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Globus
United States
Derby
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Chaos in the Old World. It has the depth I think you're looking for, is best with 4 but plays well with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaseki wrote:
Although Rex plays with three it's not the best that way. It starts playing nice at 4+ (at least that's how I feel).

I agree. I love Rex, but the biggest drawback is that it really only gets good with exactly six players. It's ok with 3-5, but the limitations make it not scale well IMO. But when you do have 6, it's totally worth getting to the table!

The only reason I don't currently own is that my FLGS has an open copy that we can use on boardgame night.

You might take a look at Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Rex, but have had significant time with Dune for the past 25 years. Unless FFG changed a number of very fundamental aspects, it is in no way "Epic". It is concise, elegant and fun, but it can literally be over in less than 30 minutes. One mistake, one lapse of concentration, one misdial in battle, and the game is over. With no exaggeration, games can last from 20-120 minutes, and though I never tracked it, I believe by far the majority of games will be ended by a careless mistake before the hour is up. Also, while it might be mechanically easy for new players to learn, they will be continually slaughtered by people familiar with its intricacies.

It's a fantastic game, but I believe it meets only one of your criteria.

I'll throw my advice onto Kemet as well. It'll never ever take anywhere near three hours, it's has easy mechanics to pick up, it has a cool tech tree of sorts, feels like an epic area based struggle, and happens to be gorgeous. Though I think the rules and mechanics are mismatched with its theme, it works well enough in Egypt.

If you're not married to the area based, map conquest concept, but just want a good "Big Game" that meets your criteria, I'll suggest Spartacus. It is dead simple, but deep and satisfying. It's the most fun I've had in a long, long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone for your suggestions. I actually own Kemet, and while it's a great game, it misses the negotiation and forming alliances mechanics I'm looking more for here. I will look into Chaos in the Old World, as it was suggested by many of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually play Game of Thrones all the time with 3 and 4 using just the base game. It works fine, and it's actually really easy to teach someone with at least some "gamer acumen". You just need a good teacher with a good grasp of the rules, and understanding of how the map layouts will change based on player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
terpitude71 wrote:
Thanks, everyone for your suggestions. I actually own Kemet, and while it's a great game, it misses the negotiation and forming alliances mechanics I'm looking more for here. I will look into Chaos in the Old World, as it was suggested by many of you.

Well, Rex has alliances, but they were criticized a lot, because the only way to get into an alliance or out of it is when a specific event card shows up (I think there are three of these in the deck), and the only time you can stab your allies in the back is if the team wins the game AND you (as a single player) achieve a secret goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As pretty as Kemet was, I felt it was bland without something to do other than attack each turn, as odd as that sounds. I really wanted to like it, but it fell flat with me (despite winning every game I played of it!).

Although it's a civ game and not sci-if or fantasy, I'd recommend Clash of Cultures. It plays great with 2, 3 or 4, usually under 3 hours and gives me that epic feel. It will be even more epic with the upcoming expansion.

You might want to check out Runewars, more suited for 3/4 than either Rex or Game of Thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love Clash of Cultures, one of the OP's requirements was that the game be easy to teach and grok for newer players. I think it's anything but. That tech-tree board is a beast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree...I think one of the basic appeals of the game is how common sense the rules are, which I find makes it far easier to teach than any other civ game. The tech tree is involved, but that's something you can discover while playing. We give tips to new players during the game on things like grabbing agriculture early and such. Teaching Through the Ages or Sid Meier's Civ is far more involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis Murray wrote:
Teaching Through the Ages or Sid Meier's Civ is far more involved.

No question about that. It's just been my experience that Clash is difficult to pick up with folks, even seasoned gamers. I'm not saying it's a giant brain burn or anything, but we've had to replay missteps more than a few times... even coming back to the game recently after a bit of a hiatus.

Could be I'm just bad at teaching it though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.