Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 1 game of TS, but would like to play more.

I would almost never have time to play a game live, but have scraps of time where I could play a non-live game.

My one game was via the TS Excel engine, but I am familiar with Vassal and ACTS for playing other games (Here I Stand). Am willing to try other platforms as people suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Avila
Australia
North Lakes
QLD
flag msg tools
hey scott I just check out and at that page is not available Twilight Struggle. There is just Through The Ages..

I just know http://chantry-games.com/lobby to play Twilight Struggle. But as far as I know is online.. I don't know if it is possible to leave it on stand by..

I am beginner at TS as well if you find out how to play offline let me know

In addition, I found this page 2 days ago. It has some cool games and the interface is pretty nice. Unfortunately does not have TS. http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!welcome

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
You can play async at the Chantry website, but if your game is older than five days it may drop off the list. Just bookmark a direct link to the game and you're golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
that website is down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
No?

See the discussion starting here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! worked on my firefox (not workign on chrome)

anyone want to play async newbie game? i know the rules but nothing of strategy.

my username is archdevil86

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grigoras
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would.

Let me know if you're still interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jorgeavilaim wrote:
hey scott I just check out and at that page is not available Twilight Struggle. There is just Through The Ages..

I just know http://chantry-games.com/lobby to play Twilight Struggle. But as far as I know is online.. I don't know if it is possible to leave it on stand by..

I am beginner at TS as well if you find out how to play offline let me know

In addition, I found this page 2 days ago. It has some cool games and the interface is pretty nice. Unfortunately does not have TS. http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!welcome

Cheers!

I'm a complete idiot. I posted late last night, wasn't paying attention, and thought this was the Through the Ages forum, not TS. My bad. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested at some point as well. I'm not sure if Mkiefte's TS Vassal module works well for PBEM or not, but there is a PBEM one available as well. I like the main TS Vassal module because it tracks everything for you very well. Anyone have experience playing TS PBEM with either one?

Before it gets said, after playing with the fancy Vassal module, I'll never go back to Wargameroom/ACTS. Far too clunky comparatively, imho.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grigoras
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not really.
Using only Vassal for PBEM is a bad idea. Reasons are posted here.

If you want a friendly game, you could do it with Vassal only. If you want a proper game, using ACTS for cards and dice management and PBEM vassal module for tracking the board is the best option, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangulica wrote:
No, not really.
Using only Vassal for PBEM is a bad idea. Reasons are posted here.

If you want a friendly game, you could do it with Vassal only. If you want a proper game, using ACTS for cards and dice management and PBEM vassal module for tracking the board is the best option, in my opinion.

Since when is a friendly game not proper? Thanks for the link!

Edit: Just to point out I will wait until the actual GMT TS game is released to do a tournament for TS online anyway, but all games are friendly games unless they are tournament. It seems you default, in all your arguments, that everyone wants to play a tournament instead of friendly games, whereas I believe that the actual default is generally friendly games. That is, I believe more games of TS are "friendly" than "tournament," so your concerns don't really bother me. Thanks again though for your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to jump in here and point out that it is very difficult to cheat using the module when playing online. The problems people are referring to are related to the fact that, if something random happens in an offline game, you can simply quit the game, reload, and keep trying until you get the result you like. You can't do that in a live game.

The module was actually designed for tournament play when played live and was designed from the ground up to do that. I asked the play testers to try to break it, in fact. The module does not let you get away with anything and was inspired, in part, by the WGR implementation.

The only way to prevent cheating in offline play is to use an online dice server and if someone could point me to a reliable one, I could, in theory, hard code it into the module. However, there are actually other ways to cheat that relate to your ability to quit, reload, retry, that still wouldn't be solved this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grigoras
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@jacovis

to each his own, I guess.

I have had my share of friendly games when I was green. I also have a PBEM game with Vassal where all my oppoenents coup rolls were sixes and all space rolls where ones and twos.
After that, I started playing "proper" games.

But again, if you really don't care about this stuff, then using Vassal module only for PBEM is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.