Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a defined order for the recruit and/or activate action? In our game tonight, I had a character left over from a previous round that gave 2 mana upon activation. Could I activate him and then use the mana to recruit on the same turn, or do I have to wait until my next recruit/activate turn?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Official rules page 12:

"Note: A player may only purchase 1 character tile, but may activate multiple tiles, per turn. Only when it is
the player’s turn again, can he purchase another character tile and/or activate multiple tiles.
Players take turns puchasing and/or activating character tiles, until all players either cannot or do not wish
to continue. In this way, it is possible for a player to purchase and/or activate more than 1 character tile in
Phase 2. After all players have decided not to continue with Phase 2, Phase 3 of the round begins."

You must wait your turndevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post, but this still isn't totally clear for me.blush

So I realize that I can only recruit and/or activate once on my turn, but can I do them in any order? The and/or does not imply order to me. If order were critical, I'd expect words like "and then/or", not and/or, so I'm leaning towards being able to do them in any order but looking for definitive confirmation/denial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the German rules are pretty clear on that:
- you can buy one (or no) character during your turn
- you can activate as many characters as you want
- you can choose any order you want, even "activate - buy - activate" is possible

When it is your turn again, you can buy another character. So during the "character phase", you can buy as many characters as you want (unless some opponent picks them first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Malte
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ E Thomas

Yes you can! You can first activate a character, gain mana (from activation), buy a character, than activate this char again and THEN is the next player´s turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
colemunrochitty wrote:
Official rules page 12:

"Note: A player may only purchase 1 character tile, but may activate multiple tiles, per turn. Only when it is
the player’s turn again, can he purchase another character tile and/or activate multiple tiles.
Players take turns puchasing and/or activating character tiles, until all players either cannot or do not wish
to continue. In this way, it is possible for a player to purchase and/or activate more than 1 character tile in
Phase 2.
After all players have decided not to continue with Phase 2, Phase 3 of the round begins."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Sounds like the German rules are clearer on this point. We played it wrong, but lucky for me my wife didn't hate draft the character I was planning to recruit so it didn't affect the outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavedog98 wrote:
Is there a defined order for the recruit and/or activate action? In our game tonight, I had a character left over from a previous round that gave 2 mana upon activation. Could I activate him and then use the mana to recruit on the same turn, or do I have to wait until my next recruit/activate turn?

Thanks for your help!

necroposting here, but careful examination of the rules seems to indicate that on your turn, you can:
1) buy ONE character, OR
2) activate ANY NUMBER of characters you already have.
you cannot do both in the same round.

the and/or is merely poor phrasing indicating that you can do both in the same *phase*, not the same *round*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infomage27 wrote:
you cannot do both in the same round.

In Helios terminology I don't think round means what you think it means. You probably mean "you cannot do both in the same turn".

colemunrochitty wrote:
Official rules page 12:

Phase 2.
After all players have decided not to continue with Phase 2, Phase 3 of the round begins."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.