kevin darville
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello!

I've been lurking on BGG and figured I should post my work in progress!

I appreciate all the information on this site!

The cards are here: https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/mneutopia

P.S. - Please be easy on me, I drew the pictures myself... while holding a baby (no lie).

The point is Spanish education and fun!

Mnemonics use visual memory to help form word picture associations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic)

I really appreciate all you helpful people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin darville
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello!
I thought I would add some more details and clarification about my game as time lets me (Ollie is napping)

What is Mneutopia?

Mneutopia is a TCG/CCG designed to help people remember spanish nouns. It helps form mnemonic visual/word associations.

Why is this better than regular memorization?

According to "Your Memory: How it works and how to improve it" (Highbee, K.L., p. 38) Visual memory is better than verbal memory. That's why the mnemonic devices tend to use visual memory. Furthermore, making it a game removes the chore of studying. There is a lot of study about this. Mnemonics date back to 500 B.C.

What ages is this game intended for?

Well this game will likely be most entertaining for 11-14 year olds as far as the game mechanics. They're pretty simple. However, anyone can enjoy it. Older people who want to learn Spanish will enjoy it significantly more than just flash cards (plus it's more effective).

Why are the images bizarre?

Well there are really two reasons:
1. Bizarre images may help with memory recall either directly or indirectly
2. It's hard to make good interacting images that aren't bizarre when it comes to some of the word/picture associations

Card of the day:

Moan-Oh is a monkey. He's sick and has a tummy-ache. He moans, "Ohh." The way you would use this is to remember the picture. Adding motion helps. Maybe imagine him rocking back and forth moaning ("Ohhh"). When you want to remember the word, you imaging the picture. The Moaning "Ohh" reminds your brain of the word! Voila!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.