Hide
20 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Great game but f***ing publisher rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus H.
msg tools
I'm a big MARVEL Comics fan and although I'm not so much into deckbuilding games I totally love this game.

BUT

Unfortunately the gameboard was damaged on purchase and a few cards from some expansions were missing/damaged too.

So I emailed UpperDeck (back in march) in hope to get some replacements.
First of all, they told me the damaged board would be still functional (although realy ugly) and so they will not replace it. It's ok I can live with that.
They promised me to send the cards within 2-3 week. 3 weeks later I emailed again to ask where my cards would be?
Just than I got to know, that UpperDeck would have to reprint the cards.
Some emails late they promised I would get the cards by end of june. Today (still no cards in sight) I emailed again and guess what? The cards will not be available before end of july.

Instead of informing me of further delays I constantly have to ask to learn about the fact.
It's more than 3 month by now and there is no guarantee I'll get my cards anytime soon or at all.

This was absolutely my last purchase of any upper deck stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird, my one need for a replacement card, after sending in pics of the card and the receipt for the purchase, arrived in under a week (from US to Finland).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Locke
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here...replacement card within 10 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus H.
msg tools
When did you sent your request? It seems they ran out of replacement cards this spring or at least they keep telling this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dam the Man wrote:
Weird, my one need for a replacement card, after sending in pics of the card and the receipt for the purchase, arrived in under a week (from US to Finland).

I likewise had a fine experience with replacement of a damaged card, even a funny note that went along with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ComStar wrote:

First of all, they told me the damaged board would be still functional (although realy ugly) and so they will not replace it. It's ok I can live with that.

That's really unfortunate. When I bought Yedo, the board was damaged along one side. It was useable, but quite visibly mangled. I sent pictures and a request for a new board to Pandasaurus Games and they promptly sent a replacement board for free and checked in to make sure it got to me and was in good condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ComStar wrote:
That's outrageous... When you buy a product it should be their responsibility to provide it as advertised, not your responsibility to "deal with it" if it doesn't. It is irrelevant if it is functional or not if it's not up to the quality of the product available (as in, if you had grabbed another box from the same printing, you wouldn't have to deal with it). This is the sort of attitude that will make me stay away from dealing with a company, not worth the risk of getting a sub-par product (because they failed quality control) and having to stick with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus H.
msg tools
Back in march I could have returned the game/expansions to the shop I bought it at and would have gotten a replacement or at last got my money back.
Because of the promisses made by UpperDeck I waited and by now the game is out of stock everywhere or costs double (here). soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ComStar wrote:
When did you sent your request? It seems they ran out of replacement cards this spring or at least they keep telling this.

Got my email confirming that they were sending the replacement March 26th, received the card April 1st (legit, no April Fools ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ComStar wrote:

Unfortunately the gameboard was damaged on purchase and a few cards from some expansions were missing/damaged too.

First of all, they told me the damaged board would be still functional (although realy ugly) and so they will not replace it.

Not the first complaint about their boards, and the responses I've read have made me not bother with trying to get mine replaced (though it, as seems typical, was damaged when I got it). It's a learning lesson, and I don't intend on buying more games from them either. The game's fun enough, but the quality is poorer than what I expect from games I buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
ComStar wrote:

First of all, they told me the damaged board would be still functional (although realy ugly) and so they will not replace it.

Not the first complaint about their boards, and the responses I've read have made me not bother with trying to get mine replaced (though it, as seems typical, was damaged when I got it). It's a learning lesson, and I don't intend on buying more games from them either. The game's fun enough, but the quality is poorer than what I expect from games I buy.

Note that in the "new" Legendary games at least, the boards are now rubber style mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
MilesF wrote:
ComStar wrote:

Note that in the "new" Legendary games at least, the boards are now rubber style mats.

That's probably a good move for them. The board, with the insert the way it was set up, was just not working out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if the original one will be offered as a mat at some point? I'd like for things to match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
you mean like this one:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/197808
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the FF Expansion minus a "Bathe the Earth in Cosmic Rays" Scheme Card. Within a fortnight (transit to Australia takes longer) I received a replacement "Invisible Force Field" Scheme Card. Another email and approximately 10 days & I got the scheme card I was missing. Pretty happy with that.

If you are after an "Invisible Force Field" card...maybe I can help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
ComStar wrote:
Back in march I could have returned the game/expansions to the shop I bought it at and would have gotten a replacement or at last got my money back.
Because of the promisses made by UpperDeck I waited and by now the game is out of stock everywhere or costs double (here). soblue

I'm baffled why that wasn't the first thing you did. In Germany you would never contact the publisher or manufacturer of a product first. You go to the retailer where you got it and he has to exchange it since he sold you a defective product. The retailer can then contact the manufacturer. Not your problem. Is that handled differently in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was missing an Apocalypse tactics card from Legendary: Dark City, and they mailed it to me (in very nice condition, I must add) in Manila. So, 2 thumbs up for their customer service!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattimeo84 wrote:

Huh. Well how 'bout that? Yeah, like that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9inchnail wrote:
ComStar wrote:

I'm baffled why that wasn't the first thing you did. In Germany you would never contact the publisher or manufacturer of a product first. You go to the retailer where you got it and he has to exchange it since he sold you a defective product. The retailer can then contact the manufacturer. Not your problem. Is that handled differently in the US?

It's personal choice. I've purchased a few generic goods (a blender, a box fan, etc.) which contained notes that said stuff like "STOP! If there's a problem call us. DON'T return item to store!" They've always confused me. I don't think any retailer would refuse to exchange the item -- especially since I doubt the people at the service counter would even notice.

In the case of a small store, I can see people complaining directly to the manufacturer in the belief that returns cause the store trouble and/or cost them money.

In the case of a mail order product, an exchange risks another defective item. At a brick and mortar store you can open the box to check the contents first, but what mail order company is going to do that for every return they process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9inchnail wrote:
ComStar wrote:

I've had a few experiences like that, where I've bought a game at a FLGS, had a component missing or damaged, even though it was still in shrink. The store told me to contact the publisher, as they didn't carry replacement parts. I suppose they could have given me another copy, but maybe they didn't want to deal with the publisher themselves. Can't really blame them, that's not my idea of a great time. But both times I got my replacement parts quickly and without a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.