Subject: Solo games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Some brief notes on four solo games played over the last week in two sessions.

The first game saw me as Monty with much rules consulting and back and forth. Getting a handle on what to do and how was tricky to begin with but eventually Antwerp was cleared ready for a push over the Rhine. Victory came in well over 12 rounds and I lost count once all the axis markers had been flipped.

The second was as Brad. I decided to use the commander special abilities for this one and Brad raced over the Rhine in nine turns. Getting better! Except two rules mistakes were made. The first was not allowing counter attacks from neighbouring commander's areas and the second will be revealed below.

The next session saw me as Patton. Loaded up with fuel and raring to go I first used XV corps to bring ammo and some fuel closer to the front. With the two lead Corps loaded up off we roared, over the Rhine in six turns - yowzer! Seemed too easy so a re-read of the rules showed the error. Using the commanders special ability every turn rather than turning him face down until the next supply check - Doh!

The final session was hopefully with all the rules correct. Patton crossed the Rhine on the ninth turn. The general principal was to avoid the enemy strong points (ie Flags) so I had to fight only two divisions from the German Army deck all game. I guess this is where the solo game is so different to the face to face in that it was possible to dodge the randomly appearing Germans - I guess a face to face opponent will identify more easily the best place to put a German Division!

So my score to beat is nine turns as Patton. Shouldn't be too hard to beat as I have some ideas to improve it. I'll probably use this thread to keep track of my best with each commander. I think I will try with Monty again next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
Great to see some more sessions posted on this game. Keep posting your sessions, was an interesting read. I have just ordered the game from Poland so will be going through the solo experience as well soon. can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Got a game in last night as Monty. Solo game wise he definitely seems to have a more difficult time. Longer to get to the Rhine, four corps to move, less fuel to start, more fortified towns.

My plan was to leap frog the corps up the board leaving denuded corps behind to cover the supply line. Things didn't get off to a great start with four of the first six pursuit cards being bosche or German formations. Eventually I got the Canadians into position to make a lunge for Arnhem. A recon card allowed me to check the next pursuit card - anything but a bosche or german unit and I was home! It was a German unit so more fuel and ammo was required from my supply base. I ended up at supply level 3 in order to bring it to the front costing me at least two turns. Eventually crossed the river at Arnhem in turn 12 with the Canadians. Every corps was out of supplies though there was two fuel and a spare ammo in Antwerp (though the Schelde never got cleared) and the British XII corps never moved the whole game (lazy sods!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Another game as Monty. Managed it in turn eight. I pushed British XXX corps as fast as possible after loading it up with fuel and used the others to cover the supply line. Again over Arnhem and with a reckless disregard for supply line security. There is definite mileage in allowing some counter attacks if it doesn't entirely sever the line. It would have been quicker but a pesky additional German division popped up in just the wrong place at just the wrong time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't argue, just play!
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
" Eventually crossed the river at Arnhem in turn 12 with the Canadians."
With Polish 1st Armored Division led by gen. Maczek in the spearhead as I suppose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
How'd you get past all the numbered discs at the start of each game???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
klkitchens wrote:
How'd you get past all the numbered discs at the start of each game???

I don't understand your question. The numbered discs are used to see where an Axis Marker appears when you roll the dice. You simply displace any unflipped numbered discs as your Corps moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.