Subject: Adventurer's Mighty Blow vs. Monster's Slash, - 2LPs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MaL
United Kingdom
S YORKS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive only played DQ solo so not tied the actual combat rules yet but I am bit confused...

If the Adventurer chooses Mighty Blow and the Monster chooses Slash why is the result -2LPs too the Monster?

Surely this means a competitive Monster player would just always avoid using the Slash card?

If its Rock Paper Scissor based shouldn't it either a -1LP in any situation?

Each version of the game seems to have a different combat system from the original Swedish one to the current FFG versions, which do you guys prefer?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Mi7even wrote:
Surely this means a competitive Monster player would just always avoid using the Slash card?

Then the adventurer will know the monster has Mighty Blow or Leap Aside, and keep going Leap Aside. The monster has to use slash sometimes to keep the adventurer honest.

The game has a different Nash equilibrium to normal rock/paper/scissors, but it still has a Nash equilibrium. As such - and this isn't saying much - it's slightly more interesting because one can't just shuffle and pick at random for optimal play.

Quote:
Each version of the game seems to have a different combat system from the original Swedish one to the current FFG versions, which do you guys prefer?

Roll d10; 1-3 adventurer loses one LP, 4-6 both lose LP, 7-8 monster loses one LP, 9 monster loses two LP, 0 reroll.

The monster combat isn't interesting enough to let it tie up the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mi7even wrote:
If the Adventurer chooses Mighty Blow and the Monster chooses Slash why is the result -2LPs too the Monster?
Because that's how the rules are.

Quote:
So that means I know that you will never use the Slash against me? It just improves my odds, so go ahead.

Quote:
If its Rock Paper Scissor based shouldn't it either a -1LP in any situation?

Its RPS, with a twist. Having -2 LP on one result means your are less likely, or more likely, to choose that result, which your opponent knows, so you choose not to use that card, which he knows, so you choose to use it in any case. Bluff, counterbluff, and reversed counterbluff.

Quote:

Only ever played with the original swedish combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.