Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Small Box Worker placement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Hi All,

Anyone know what the best small box Worker Placement game is? (if one does exist).

Looking for a small portable game with alot of quality and fun. Ideally would be medium weight.

Thanks,
Scott
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Hopkins
United Kingdom
Pontypool
Torfaen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium is a pretty good worker placement game that comes in a small box; about the size of Carcassonne and Race for the Galaxy boxes.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Spyrium. If you're traveling you can even take it out of its box and it will fit in a deck box.

I'd also recommend Tournay. This is really an excellent, medium-weight WP game that can also be carried in a deck box.

We took both of these on a recent cruise and they worked wonderfully. Lots of replay value and heavy enough to want to play many times.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi
Le Havre inland port
Agricola acbas
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a nice game, and in a truly small box. It's only for 2 players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out these:

- +1 Spyrium
- OddVille
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbour is intended as a small box worker placement. The Kickstarter is still in process (but is has $100K funded of the $15K desired), but it has a Print and Play version you can try out and see if it will fit your needs/desires.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stohot wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know what the best small box Worker Placement game is? (if one does exist).

Looking for a small portable game with alot of quality and fun. Ideally would be medium weight.

Thanks,
Scott


Caylus Magna Carta
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with expansions and Caylus Magna Carta. Le Havre and Tournay are great too, but not exactly worker placement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Choubi wrote:


+1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
Le Havre and Tournay are great too, but not exactly worker placement.


Huh? In Tournay you place a meeple on a card in your tableau to activate its ability, blocking that space from further action until the meeple is removed. In Le Havre, you place a meeple on a space to take resources or an action, and block another player from using it.

What am I missing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
fateswanderer wrote:
Le Havre and Tournay are great too, but not exactly worker placement.


Huh? In Tournay you place a meeple on a card in your tableau to activate its ability, blocking that space from further action until the meeple is removed. In Le Havre, you place a meeple on a space to take resources or an action, and block another player from using it.

What am I missing?


Most people find WP to mean that you block actions from OTHER players, not yourself. Like most terms in our glorious hobby, it's not exactly formalized yet, so, there you go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My game Trick or Treat:

Trick or Treat

It fits in a two deck box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Lara
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
Targi
Le Havre inland port
Agricola acbas


+1 Targi is a great 2-Player game. My daughter and I love it and all our games have been within 2-3 points of each other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H M
Switzerland
Aargau
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Waggle Dance (like Harbor, mentioned above) is a current Kickstarter (ending in 3 days) with a 25 x 17 x 7.5cm (~10 x 7 x 2.5 inch / about the same size as 'Race to the Galaxy') box
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
Avatar
+1 targi. Its the one worker placement game I take with me when I go abroad. Great game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's precisely Worker Placement, but Sail to India kind of scratches that itch for me.

You place your workers at different parts of the "board" (made up of port cards), causing them to take different actions, which is why it fits for me.

The box is small, but the setup is fairly large - I'd look at the picture of the full game set up to see if it fits your portability needs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nudd
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TomcatChick wrote:
Waggle Dance (like Harbor, mentioned above) is a current Kickstarter (ending in 3 days) with a 25 x 17 x 7.5cm (~10 x 7 x 2.5 inch / about the same size as 'Race to the Galaxy') box


+1 for Waggle Dance! There still time to back the KS! cool

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.