Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://www.npr.org/2014/06/25/325462045/move-over-video-game...

The total story is only about 4 minutes, but it's still nice to have it nationally broadcasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting! Neat story. It's getting to be a meme though that there has to be an obligatory "Settlers of Catan" reference when talking about modern board gaming, right?

Citadels sounds really silly when heard out loud out of context -- "I kill the merchant," "where's the architect," etc. -- but it is interactive and lends itself to an audio piece, unlike Dominion or something.

All in all, good piece though, and maybe will get some people interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will sound weird, but I'm just glad they got it right. A lot of times people "not in the know" will try to do stories on popculture, and nerdcore specifically, and they will throw around insider terms badly. They end up sticking out like a sore thumb, and the community wishes they never would have done the piece. This did not feel like that at all.

Yeah, Settlers is becoming obligatory. But hey, it's the game that got me into Euro style games, so I'm ok with it. It's a fantastic game which works well for hooking newbies. Soon Ticket to Ride will be the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One commentor got in a wad about how this isn't new and how boardgaming is not really going mainstream. Well, I'm more inclined to believe the testimony of Tom Vassal who was shocked at Gencon at how many wives and children were there instead of the usual domination by middle-aged men.

Get ready old school: here comes everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Stein
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
This aired about a month ago on WNYC as well. http://www.wnyc.org/story/put-down-phone-board-games-are-coo...

While it isn't the most in depth article, it isn't aimed at convincing people that are already part of boardgamegeek or even casual catan players. From what I gathered it is more aimed at parents, and other folks looking for non digital entertainment.

note: I'm involved with http://www.brooklyngamelab.com more on the retail side than the after school program, interviewed for this piece but didn't end up in the recording. FWIW There were -a lot- of questions leading towards the 'are you reluctant about sharing the hobby' and the people interviewed around me resoundingly said they were not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprisingly, someone at work heard this story on the radio this morning, and came up to me wanting to start a tabletop gaming club, knowing that I was the resident trivia guy. She was excited to learn that some of us play games a few times a week during lunch and once in a while after hours. She's never played any modern games, but is excited that there are options out there with more strategy than, say, your Monopolies or Lifes. So this at least reached somebody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Tom Vassal who was shocked at Gencon at how many wives and children were there instead of the usual domination by middle-aged men.

That's pretty much the norm in Essen. It's really nice to see that the US seems to be going in that direction as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really believe people are beginning to value the face to face interaction of board gaming over the separation of video gaming.

Human beings want to be social. Multiplayer online video games aren't a substitute for being in a room with someone.

Parents (including moms) may be encouraging kids to seek out board games rather than stay online all the time.

On the other hand, I invited a college professor couple I know to play board games (and suggested we get a group together to do so), and I was told, "people who do sports and have family activities wouldn't want to do that...we haven't played games since we were in graduate school. I mean, we have lots of games on our shelves, but we don't play them anymore." (spoken condescendingly. It was so annoying). I think I dodged the bullet with these people, anyway, they are very, very pretentious and arrogant. I am sure I would have been posting a "is this rude" thread if I ever got them to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wuensche
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
mbialeck wrote:
That's pretty much the norm in Essen. It's really nice to see that the US seems to be going in that direction as well.

It's a side-effect of the way many of these games were first made available in the US: through the local comic book or rpg shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.