Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dig 1812, and want to enjoy 1775 more than I do. Unfortunately, I get hung up on the 'forward retreating' or the 'defensive maneuvering' of 1775's CD result.

I've played many games where the wise defender is just waiting to be attacked so they can hope for CD results and get out of turn movement. It just feels odd and gamey. What is the historical basis of this rule?

Yes, 1812's CD is more limited, but I understand it. Stay and fight or retreat to a friendly area. The CD result in 1812 is the middle result on the die, and what I would expect.

In 1775, we've found many times where the CD is the preferred result, particularly on defense.

How has your group come to accept this as it relates to the history of the conflict?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the colonists did employ the strategy of retreating quite frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but wise players don't really use it as 'retreating', but to grab new ground. That's what I have a hard time with.

Battle not going well? In 1812, retreat if you can. In 1775, gain new territories.

Also, on many occasions, I've seen it used by the attacker. Purposely attack in the hopes of getting CDs which will give you another space of movement beyond what your movement card allows. What is the justification for this? Is it to help represent cavalry or skirmishers in some way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CD = Command Decision in case anyone was wondering.

Quote:
Well, the colonists did employ the strategy of retreating quite frequently.

While that is true, his complaint is that it allows out-of-turn movement and a chance to grab up territory and hence feels gamey. I see the point and wonder if it would be better if CD's could only be used to move to other territories that already have friendly units in a kind of "supply line".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems someone has already suggested this in the variants subforum. The designer came on and said this:

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that a Command Decision is more that just a retreat. It is an order to your troops: Pull back to friendly territory, or Push forward to take the next town, etc.

With experience of the game comes the strategy that blocking the empty spaces is nearly as valuable as attacking directly.

The next game 1754: Conquest, will have a few tweaks on Command Decisions that we have found to be quite fun and unique.

First off, yay 1754! Secondly, the guy proposing the variant tried a few games, and changed his mind and went back to the standard rules it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just keep garrisons in the areas you wish to prevent the enemy retreating into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the necessary counters, but I'm more curious as to why the CDs were decided to be handled this way for this game.

Again, I understand how to play the game, but what is the historical basis for this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Right, but wise players don't really use it as 'retreating', but to grab new ground. That's what I have a hard time with.

If the territory is unoccupied (or some Natives can be swayed to your cause), so what if they retreat into empty areas? You can retreat into home empty areas in 1812, too (or empty enemy areas if by NA's, which is also "territory grabbing" in a relatively ahistorical manner).

If you don't like it, leave a small force behind to prevent these advances. Breaking behind enemy lines is a thing in wars, so why is it unthematic? An advance-retreat CD will not yield a new colony unless the opponent is playing VERY badly. It might deny one, in which case, you should have protected your colonies better, or come up with another strategy.

I often use the CD's for extra movement ON my turn... by making two adjacent battles. That's more effective than moving a mere 2-3 cubes into an empty area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
what is the historical basis for this rule?

Paraphrased from above, leaders gave orders to their armies, that is, made command decisions in the field, even during battle, that might be "retreat", "go find so friendly natives to help", "block the retreat path of the enemy","split off from this battle and seize that territory", etc.

Given this game is very abstract a simple command decision rule seems thematic at the appropriate level to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.