Heroes of Normandie» Forums » General

Subject: Tom Vassel's review is out! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zheng Xuan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tom's review of the game is out! Did he liked it? Or is it the worst game he has ever played? Click on to find out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom's review made me want this game so bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any resemblance to a miniatures game at all. Seems more like a simple tactical wargame. Isn't Tom familiar with basic wargames?

Saying this game is like a miniatures game is like saying Squad Leader is like a miniatures game, which it's not. The comment, mentioned at least twice in the review, seems a little shallow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
I don't see any resemblance to a miniatures game at all. Seems more like a simple tactical wargame. Isn't Tom familiar with basic wargames?

Saying this game is like a miniatures game is like saying Squad Leader is like a miniatures game, which it's not. The comment, mentioned at least twice in the review, seems a little shallow.

Perhaps, you didn't understand the explanation of why it is like a miniatures game.

Apart from the first few missions, in which you are given a select group of tiles to achieve your objective with, the game's central army-building mechanic is identical to a miniatures game. You choose an army based on an agreed points value and face an opponent who does the same. The models are in the same scale as Flames of War and I have the full intention on using components of both games as proxies for the other.

There are photos on the web of Flames of War units on top of the HoN counter. People have even challenge-joked that they want to see bases with stats that they can mount a Flames of War mini on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xKoBiEx wrote:
horrido wrote:

Perhaps, you didn't understand the explanation of why it is like a miniatures game.

Apart from the first few missions, in which you are given a select group of tiles to achieve your objective with, the game's central army-building mechanic is identical to a miniatures game. You choose an army based on an agreed points value and face an opponent who does the same. The models are in the same scale as Flames of War and I have the full intention on using components of both games as proxies for the other.

There are photos on the web of Flames of War units on top of the HoN counter. People have even challenge-joked that they want to see bases with stats that they can mount a Flames of War mini on.

Agreed. My personal feeling is that I just opened a new GW boxed set but I don't have to do any painting.

BRILLIANT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Do not click on it!
badge
I play with red!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a very in-deep review. I'm still on the fence whether I should buy this or not. I better keep waiting for other reviews...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:

It also resembles a miniatures game in the fact some of the terrain is moveable -- you can place most buildings and fortifications. And, unlike Squad Leader, the buildings are large with open interiors, more reminiscent of a minis game.

This isn't a new concept in board gaming, though, even though it may seem new to many. S. Craig Taylor was an avid minis gamer, from what I understand, and it was reflected in many of his game designs. Close Assault even had moveable terrain, including buildings (with interiors), trees, hills and other features. Brilliant game, by a brilliant (and sorely missed) designer.

I've always favored Mr. Taylor's game designs, and maybe it was because they had a miniatures game feel to them. Close Assault and Mustangs are two of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
ar147 wrote:
Not a very in-deep review. I'm still on the fence whether I should buy this or not. I better keep waiting for other reviews...

typical of many of his videos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Doyle

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like how so much credit was given to iello and none to Devil Pig Games.

The only thing iello has done for this game is hinder it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:

Miniature games are nearly always a tactical wargame to begin with and came as an offshoot of "traditional" wargames, just usually without the premade maps so of course there's a resemblence.

The other main design point is that there are no unit stacks, so you can play this game with minis, unlike most boardgame wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AKDoyle wrote:
I didn't like how so much credit was given to iello and none to Devil Pig Games.

Just my guess, with no other factual info, is that it's iello who sent him the game, since he has a pretty good relationship with them.

Also Tom's mentioned many times he doesn't keep up with most KS projects so he probably wasn't aware of the history of who actually put in the blood and sweat for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbergen wrote:
AKDoyle wrote:

Just my guess, with no other factual info, is that it's iello who sent him the game, since he has a pretty good relationship with them.

Also Tom's mentioned many times he doesn't keep up with most KS projects so he probably wasn't aware of the history of who actually put in the blood and sweat for this game.

Tom mentioned in another interview that he missed the Kickstarter, yes. The box was stamped iello, so that is definitely how he got his copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erdem Tunakan
Austria
Wien
Österreich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what did you expect??? a 60 minute preview - if u wanna know more about the game just read the rulebook.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbergen wrote:

Unless Tom bought it at Origins from the Iello booth like I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:

Let's see, the game designers have already stated that they designed the game with the intent in mind to design it as a miniatures game for those who don't have the time to paint pieces, nor the skills, nor the money to paint and build large armies of minis.

So...you might want to get up to speed with what is going on with HoN before you start implying others are shallow, because it makes you look, well...you know.

I bought SL, CoI, CoD & GI:AoV when they first came out. I picked up HoN at Origins, and I can tell you, that even though SL has evolved into ASL, these two games don't even belong in the same conversation. Let alone throwing out comments that that would be like saying ASL is like a minis game.

Maybe you have an Axe to grind with Tom, I don't know, but I've been playing wargames for nearly 40 years now, and I respect the opinion of Tom. I'd go as far as to say that Tom is more familiar with "basic wargames", as you say, than you are with HoN.

HoN is a terrific little game, but its going to be more along the lines of something like CC, although I personally feel HoN has entered a new territory for tactical level WWII wargames. To be clear, ASL, PanzerGrenadier, Ln'L, & even CoH are much different games by design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.