Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hartig
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

After having played my first match of "Champions 2020" here are some first impressions.

First of all, the components of the game are of great quality. The cardboard map and tiles are colorful and pleasing to the eye.
The rulebook is written in four languages and has a lot of play examples, which is always a good thing.

-----------
For my first (solo) game I chose Germany vs. Portugal (using the Argentine player tiles).
After kick-off the game went smoothly, but, as usual with a new game, one have to reference the rules quite some times.
The first shot on goal was done by CR7, after his second ball contact, but Neuer saved with a fine catch.
In minute 36. Müller scored with a hard shot, after a fine pass from Lahm. 1:0 for Germany.

The second half saw more action.
In minute 54. Almeida received a dream flanking shot from Ronaldo and scored for Portugal. 1:1
In minute 66., after a rebound from Patricio, Müller was there and scored again! 2:1 for Germany.
In minute 72. Mario Götze, again after a short rebound from Patricio, scored for a 3:1 for Germany.

Now it looks like all is fine for the DFB eleven, but guess what; in minute 78. Ronaldo finally got his goal (with an assist from Veloso). 3:2

Portugal had one or two more chances but then the referee blows the whistle and Germany won 3:2.

------------

Champions 2020 has the right mix of luck(dice rolls) and tactics to allow for a smooth and interesting game.
The game plays amazingly well solitaire, because each turn at most 2 players of one side move.
For me, this is a big asset, because you can play whenever you want to.

This is a fast and very good game about soccer, capturing the essence of the fight on the pitch.

Last but not least, the designer is very supportive if it comes to rules questions. This aspect of after-sales support is very important for me.

All in all recommended for soccer fans!

Fred
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ondatje
United States
Marina Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
Agreed on all points.
For 11on11 football, with plenty of tactics and subtleties, its got good fun factor and good tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.