Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Game Idea

This is a fairly lightweight game for 3 to 5 players. Players buy cards via auction. These cards award money, stars or modifiers, usually determined by placing dice on the card. The player with the highest total stars when 50 stars is crossed, or when the deck runs out, wins.

History

I first playtested this game with friends back in January, and a handful of times since. The core concept of the game hasn't changed, just some playability tweaks and card values. Every game will play out a little differently as the available choices for each auction are randomized. The possibilities for cards are near endless. My thoughts on the actual cards come in 7 flavors: The communal cards (pink), Pure Money (green), Pure Modifier (Blue), Pure VP (Orange), Split Modifier/Money, Split Modifier/VP, Split Money/VP. The current card selection was simply to test the game viability.

I have debated for several months whether I should post this game on idea on BGG. I received quite good feedback from playtesters, yet poor feedback from people who read through the rules and did not play. I have finally decided to post to BGG as I am not generating enough motivation by myself. I am hoping to either here good feedback, prompting me to organize more playtests, or lack of interest, in which case I'll shelve the idea without guilt .

If there is interest, I will make a PDF or ZIP file of the cards for others to try the game. Personally, I prefer ZIP files as I often print cards on index cards for early playtests ... no cutting necessary!

Furthermore, if someone identifies a theme (applicable across the 4 card types) that makes me say "Oh wow, that is freakin' perfect!" there will be a 100 reward!

Game Phases

Roll Dice
Auction Phase
Placement Phase
Game End

Components

Cards
6 Dice (5 per player should be enough, we used 12mm)
Stars (We used Red Poker chips)
5db Coins (We used White Poker chips)

Game Setup

Give each player 3 dice and 3 money.
Randomly determine a Start Player.

Roll Dice

Players gather their dice and roll them.

Auction Phase

The auction is to determine order in selecting either:
Usage of a communal card.
Purchasing one of the available cards.

There are Z(3 included) communal cards available for temporary usage, and each round PLAYER number of available cards are drawn. If there are not enough cards, go to Game End.

Bidding Round
In clockwise order, from the Start Player, players bid or pass.
A bid cannot have the same value as another player.
A bid can never be less than your previous bid in this round.
In addition to money, a player may bid with their dice, with each die being valued 1 money.
Note that Communal cards require a player to place all their dice on the card, and thus if you bid with dice, you cannot choose a Communal card.
If no player changes their bid for a full round, the Bidding Round ends.
The highest bidder becomes the Start Player.

Card Selection
The order of card selection is from highest to lowest bid.
A player may choose an unchosen Communal card or an Available card as long as their bid is at or above the minimum bid for that card (red number in upper right).
If a player chooses a Communal card, all of their dice are placed on the card (as indicated on the card itself).
If a player chooses an Available card, the player places the card in front of them and it is no longer considered available.
The selecting player pays their bid to the bank, unless a player cannot choose any card.

After all players have picked, unchosen available cards are discarded.

Placement Phase (To keep gameplay fast, we played this simultaneously, though serious gamers may wish to go in player order)
Players allocate their dice to the possible locations on their cards.
Money is gained and Stars are awarded.

Game End
The game can end when either:
At least one player has 50 or more stars,
The available cards deck runs out.

The winner is the player with the highest total stars.

Sample Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hyperlink Subjugator: A Themeless Dice Rolling Auction Game
I guess that answers that question. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think this idea has merit, putting it back out there after almost a year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Looking at the cards and thinking about other games that use similar mechanisms effectively, I don't see anything wrong with the fundamental concept. Have you considered using a light theme to make it seem friendlier to new players? I understand that you have made this intentionally themeless, but I wonder why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.