Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What Games Will You Never Fart With? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry--upon seeing this other thread title, I couldn't resist.

What the question means is, Which wargames have you refused to buy because they left you shaking your head and saying to yourself, "Nah--I'd never play that; I'd never even fart around with it a little. It'd just take up shelf space."? Could be because of complexity, size, subject, or whatever.

There have been many for me. Let's see if I can name a few.

Case Blue. Since the name comes up all the time, I had to take a peek and see what this game actually was. The size and complexity would have been enough to make me realize I'd never even fart around with it, but I've never liked east-front WW2 games either (just one of the ways I differ from most wargamers).

Fields of Fire. This one looked appealing, as it's a solitaire game and has features in common with Up Front, which I liked years ago. But upon reading ads and reviews and skimming the rules, I decided it was a game I'd never do anything with. Too much work for what, IMO, would have to end up being just an illusion of realism.

Bismarck and Midway. Back when I started out in wargaming, I wanted to get all the AH games ... except these. I heard good things about them, and a couple times I was tempted to buy one and take a look. But then I thought, Nah. I'd really need another player to make the search system work, and farting around with it solo wouldn't be any good. Also, the subject didn't grab me; I was never much into naval warfare, especially in the modern era.

So, how 'bout you? What wargames have you turned your back on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Storm over Arnhem, because it came in a zip-lock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Early eighties - got my hands on an AH catalogue - I wanted them all ... except the monster that was The Longest Day - even as a teenager I realized I'd never have time to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Fire for meas well.

I'm on the farting fence with It Never Snows. I don't think I have the space for it but I'm really digging SCS now that I've tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"never" is such a strong word. I set-up The Longest Day once, realized I'd never finish it, packed it up and gave it to a friend. So I farted with it and would most likely be willing to do the same with almost anything if somebody else wanted to try it.

But I see why you went with "never". If it was "most likely won't try" then the list would be long indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Early eighties - got my hands on an AH catalogue - I wanted them all ... except the monster that was The Longest Day - even as a teenager I realized I'd never have time to play it.

One I am very unlikely to - unless I find a thrift copy.

A couple I'm even less likely to touch:

Pacific War War in the Pacific(especially the new edition), Campaign for North Africa.

Also, I highly doubt I'll pick up any more block games. I picked up
a few recently and yes - the mechanical issues with the stupid wooden
pieces pisses me off enough not to be interested in another - especially
since I don't see much with to them for me. Pity too: I really wanted
Pax Baltica for the topic; same with the War of the Roses one.

Guns of August - I've heard too much ill about it to pick it up other than
cheap without shipping.

SPI's (or TSRs or DGs) ETO - I don't have room for another WWII strategic
without much to add.

B17 - another that just ain't worth it unless I get it stupid cheap.

Oh - and most of all - that terribly huge Europa replacement system
that shows up at CSWE every year. Good gods it's everything I don't want
in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
But I see why you went with "never". If it was "most likely won't try" then the list would be long indeed!

Of course the main reason I went with "never" was to copy another currently active BGG thread: "What games Will You Never Part With?" (Just in case somebody missed that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:

Mine came in a box ... way back when. I farted around with it awhile solo and then put it on a shelf and eventually sold it. But later I got curious about the next game in the area-impulse family, Turning Point: Stalingrad, so I tried that--and liked it at first but soon put it away. Now I'm curious about Breakout: Normandy and wondering if I should try all three games again. I've really waffled on these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, when I was a teenager, that game for me was Harpoon (what edition, I have no idea). The rules seemed like too much of a data-ridden beast to even bother with. A friend had a copy, and the game made its rounds, being bought and sold among our group of friends, with no one ever getting through the rules or playing it.

However, I haven't looked at a copy in about 25 years. Maybe it's not as bad as I once thought? Dunno.

Also seem to remember having a similar general reaction to Air Superiority.

Maybe I should give these games another look, with the perspective of a 40-something-year-old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Pacific War (especially the new edition), Campaign for North Africa.

Ah--I guess those should be in a sticky at the top of the list, as hardly anybody really ever gets into these. Do they?

Quote:
Also, I highly doubt I'll pick up any more block games. I picked up
a few recently and yes - the mechanical issues with the stupid wooden
pieces pisses me off enough not to be interested in another ...

Same with me. I haven't played one since the first couple that came out, many years ago (when I was still in high school)--Quebec 1759 and War of 1812. Oh, and Napoleon; I belatedly tried that. The blocks seemed like a good idea but just didn't work for me.

Quote:
Guns of August - I've heard too much ill about it to pick it up other than cheap without shipping.

I bought this when it was brand-new and played it just once, I believe. Thought it had potential, so I sent a copy to a friend who was into World War I. Never heard from him or thought much about the game again until recent BGG days, when I seem to keep hearing ill about it too.

Quote:
B17 - another that just ain't worth it unless I get it stupid cheap.

This one is still hugely popular in some circles. And it has generated a couple spin-offs that are also reputed to be excellent. I bought my copy when it was pretty new and played it a few times, but I soon got tired of having to refer to so many charts all the time. And the subject had never fascinated me anyway (I wasn't a fan of the Twelve o'Clock High TV show). Yet when I hear solo wargamers raving about how much fun they still have with it, sometimes I wish I'd kept my copy so I could see if it's really better than I thought it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
Years ago, when I was a teenager, that game for me was Harpoon (what edition, I have no idea).

I gather there are board-game and computer-game versions of Harpoon. Is that right? I always heard it was possibly the most realistic, true-to-life, accurate wargame in the world, and that impressed me. But for one thing, I wasn't much into naval combat or modern warfare; so I passed.

Years ago, though, my wife brought home a copy of the computer game Harpoon and said a friend at work had offered it to her. She thought I might like to try it out. So I did--very briefly.

I thought I might get back to it and see if I could figure it out, but before I could, my wife's friend said she wanted the game back. Her boyfriend or whoever she got it from had changed his mind. So I shrugged and gave it up. That was the end of my Harpoon experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
grouchysmurf wrote:

Mine came in a box ... way back when. I farted around with it awhile solo and then put it on a shelf and eventually sold it. But later I got curious about the next game in the area-impulse family, Turning Point: Stalingrad, so I tried that--and liked it at first but soon put it away. Now I'm curious about Breakout: Normandy and wondering if I should try all three games again. I've really waffled on these.

Haha. When you said farted, I thought it would be funny to interpret it is a box fart and posted a funny -- only to me -- comment. You know, no box, no far, I will never fart with it, haha.

Silly of me.

Now, there is The Burning Blue, a game I purchased few years ago, I've read the rules and then sold my copy only to repurchase it few months ago. So far I've read the rules, again. And as there is noone around I can play it with, Vassal module sucks and it can't be played solo, it will remain on shelf, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
calandale wrote:
Pacific War War in the Pacific (especially the new edition), Campaign for North Africa.

Ah--I guess those should be in a sticky at the top of the list, as hardly anybody really ever gets into these. Do they?

I've seen PW WitP (SPI version) played twice (never to completion). As to CNA, if it
wasn't for DAK, I'd've bought a copy with every intention to play now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
grouchysmurf wrote:

Haha. When you said farted, I thought it would be funny to interpret it is a box fart and posted a funny -- only to me -- comment. You know, no box, no far, I will never fart with it, haha.

Many of us enjoy the gas release from a fresh young game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
What the question means is, Which wargames have you refused to buy because they left you shaking your head and saying to yourself, "Nah--I'd never play that; I'd never even fart around with it a little. It'd just take up shelf space."? Could be because of complexity, size, subject, or whatever.

These days, pretty much anything that sets up with with more than two maps. I just don't have the space anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
As to CNA, if it wasn't for DAK, I'd've bought a copy with every intention to play now.

DAK? Is that some part of the game, or an extension or something? Or do you mean you don't like games that feature Das Afrika Korps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Proud Monster Deluxe

I pick it up every time I'm at the store, and then I quietly put it back.

The new one I do that with is The Eastern Front: 1914-1917 but I still haven't quite decided if I won't pick it up. Given that it's only a monster if you link it all, and also given that I can't find any other titles in the series without paying a ridiculous amount of money (moreso, I mean), and given that each of the 6 games contained within are playable.... I will quietly put it back on the shelf until either:

a) I cave
b) someone else takes it and then I go on a rampant hunt for it
c) I actually decide to put it in the spot that Proud Monster occupies.

All three have an equal chance of winning right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any monster game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A World At War. Can't be arsed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Why would anyone lump Pacific War with CNA??? I've played full Campaigns of PW and multiple scenarios. This is no more complex than OCS. People are playing this on a regular basis. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
calandale wrote:
As to CNA, if it wasn't for DAK, I'd've bought a copy with every intention to play now.

DAK? Is that some part of the game, or an extension or something? Or do you mean you don't like games that feature Das Afrika Korps?

DAK

Completely separate design on the same subject. And slightly more manageable scale.
Well designed to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
calandale wrote:

DAK

Completely separate design on the same subject. And slightly more manageable scale.
Well designed to boot.

A very good game. As easy to play as Pacific War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
calandale wrote:

Why would anyone lump Pacific War with CNA??? I've played full Campaigns of PW and multiple scenarios. This is no more complex than OCS. People are playing this on a regular basis. shake

Heck... *I* was able to play the opening scenario of Pacific War after 1 day.

I think Pacific War was easier to figure out than No Retreat.

The hardest part I had with Pacific War is that I kept having to wipe the tears from my eyes because Mark Herman's words are poetry and they hit you where you live. But once I dried my eyes, it was a piece of cake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
billyboy wrote:
calandale wrote:

Because they're stupid.

I meant War in the Pacific.

Sorry all. I have every intention to play VG's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
I meant War in the Pacific.

I must've known that; it was what I thought of when you named the other game by mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.