Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read through the rules and set the game up for "The Fall of House Lynch". Now... "without giving away any Spoilers please"... I glanced through the cards that I have as the Keeper and I am not sure of how Monsters appear on the board. I did NOT read all the text on all the cards as I wanted it 'fresh' for gameplay. The only thing I saw was a card for placing a Zombie and a Maniac. So.... how would the other monsters appear? OR did I miss something in the rules?

As of right now, this was just a set up experience for me to understand the game, but we are planning on a regular game this weekend.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fall of House Lynch does not have many monsters in it; most of the types of monsters are not required. One extra type of monster can be triggered if you choose the corresponding Objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, the monsters come out via Keeper action cards or event cards (the game's timekeeper). In theory you are supposed to put all the monsters on the table and grab them as they appear. Personally, I feel this a bit overkill, but I think they are trying to keep which ones appear a surprise. There are forums that discuss which monsters appear in each story if you are looking for that info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh... thanks guys!! I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was having rule overload for a minute there! Then, after reading your answers, I DID go back and look through the rules and found:

Placing Monsters
Some Keeper Action cards (and Event cards) allow the keeper to place
specific monster figures on the game board. To do so, he randomly
takes a monster figure of the specified type (without looking at the
bottom of its monster token) and places it in the specified space.
If the card only specifies the room where the monster is placed, then
the keeper may place the monster in any space of that room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
If you start to experience rules overload again try looking up Rodney Smith's first Watch it Played video series (not actually called Watch it Played back then). It'll be on YouTube. The first game he went through was MoM and was a huge help in my learning to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I looked at that video! I suppose you mean this one:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/8825/mansions-madness/learn-p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That video series was awesome. I watched every single episode like it was "Dancing with the Stars." There were like 24 episodes. It was amazing! Getcha popcorn ready!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite rules to the contrary, I strongly suggest that the keeper actually read through the scenarios prior to playing.
I think that it will help understand what is going on and why stuff is happening.
The first couple of games my group and I played with this, I was doing stuff 'because I could'. And when anyone said "Why did this or that happen? I was like "I don't know. the card told me so." Which did not help with the thematic feel of the game.
On the other hand if you know what the scenario is about (especially if you can sort of relate it to a lovecraft novel), the motives and actions make much more sense. And the monster appearances do as well.
The answer to an investigator/player who asks "How did that Zombie just appear in the middle of the mansion?!?!?!"
sounds better as "A freshly dead corpse stuffed in a closet seems to have been re-animated, perhaps by some dark forces invoked by the psychotic doctor you are searching for." Sounds 100% better than
"I don't know. The card says I can put a zombie in your room. So I did."
-Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew B
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I disagree with this. Not knowing exactly what the cards say keeps the feeling of mystery to the game. If you are a good keeper, you pretty much understand why, as you stated, a zombie appeared in the middle of the mansion. The investigators have no reason to know why there is a zombie there because they do not know they objective yet. All they know is why they are there and some creepy stuff is going down. They receive a story in the beginning, which gives them insight on what this mansion is all about. If the investigators cannot figure out why and where monsters are coming from, maybe they are not ready for the intellectual aspect of the game. Just my opinion.

-Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game at the thrift store ($2.95!) ... played my first game today and had the same question as the OP... but.. I just shrugged and played on... the monsters come in via the event cards... don't worry.. stumble along and do each step for your turn... when you have no monsters just move to the next step and put a marker on the event deck.

Actually.. I didn't even have the event deck set-up until after the first turn ended... but we got through it. I didn't read ahead.. but trusted it would all work out... it did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat2surf wrote:
I just got this game at the thrift store ($2.95!) ... played my first game today and had the same question as the OP... but.. I just shrugged and played on... the monsters come in via the event cards... don't worry.. stumble along and do each step for your turn... when you have no monsters just move to the next step and put a marker on the event deck.

Actually.. I didn't even have the event deck set-up until after the first turn ended... but we got through it. I didn't read ahead.. but trusted it would all work out... it did.

WOW, What a deal you got! Our local thrift store is always...ALWAYS a jumble of JUNK! We did play one game so far and it worked out except I had (I was the Keeper) put another Maniac on the board when I wasn't supposed too. Eh...That's OK, it was FUN!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest beginner confusion involved ladders. If there is no matching ladder (the destination) then you presume that the source ladder is locked, or some such. If the flow of events creates the "destination" ladder, then the ladder is now usable to go from point A to point B.

I don't recall a rule that made that clear for a first timer. I assumed the missing ladder was an editing mistake and mucked up the whole scenario trying to "fix" it.

And in spite of that, it was still a great session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.