• [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest thing I can think of is Magic's Archenemy format. That could be worth having a look at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the cards do opposite things for the heroes and the villains. In Dominion terms, a point card for the heroes would be an action for the villain and vice versa. You could include some cards that are neutral and do the same thing for both, essentially like Dominion treasure cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea... try giving the sides different goals. For example, maybe the good guys have to kill the bad guy, but the bad guy has to raze a city. The good guys then have to try and balance out their own offense and defense, while also defending the city.

Jlerpy wrote:
The closest thing I can think of is Magic's Archenemy format. That could be worth having a look at?

Star Realms has adopted this as one of the official multiplayer variants; one player gets a larger hand and more life, depending on the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Let them buy cards from different decks.
I was thinking about something similar where 1 player plays the dungeon master, buys cards to improve his dungeon and minions and the other player recruits more heroes.
Seems the most obvious idea to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
That was similar to what I was thinking as well. I wanted the villain to play monsters that the other players have to fight against. I guess my concern is with cycling through cards and having a majority of cards in play, will that make the card cycling awkward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5Elements wrote:
That was similar to what I was thinking as well. I wanted the villain to play monsters that the other players have to fight against. I guess my concern is with cycling through cards and having a majority of cards in play, will that make the card cycling awkward?

If they put monster cards out in a tableau, that will take them out of their deck, which will speed up their deck cycling. That's a boon for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just not sure what the wincondition for the evil player would be.
For the "good" player it would probably be to kill the evil player (get damage past his minions).
I'm not quite familar with netrunner, how does he asymmetry work there regarding winconditions?
Would it be possible for the evil player to set up quests with a timer that he gets points for if the good player fails to complete them within the given time? At a risk of giving the good player a reward if he succeeds?

Gameplay could even revolve around a tricktaking style gameplay where both players throw cards at quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Originally, I was thinking that the villain would try to defeat the other players by dealing damage. In that case, it think it would would have to be careful about power balancing. But Quests is something I haven't thought of. Thanks for the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5Elements wrote:
Originally, I was thinking that the villain would try to defeat the other players by dealing damage. In that case, it think it would would have to be careful about power balancing. But Quests is something I haven't thought of. Thanks for the idea.

I thought the evil player controled a dungeon and minions, the good player sends heroes into the dungeon. Where in that scenario does the evil player interact in a way with the good player that he could deal damage directly (thematically, what would that mean?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The idea was more of a traditional deck builder, but 2/3 vs 1. The villain would build a deck to stop the other players using monsters and spells. The heroes would acquire weapons and spell cards to kill monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that sounds like most cards either faction plays could be mechanically identical, just with different art and names.
Why not actually make the mechanics asymmetrical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
That's what I would ultimately want but I am stuck on how to accomplish that. I wanted the villain to play around monsters that would stay in play until the heroes kill it.

I was thinking it would be best to have the villains spells be more disruptive rather than damaging. Lots of discard and hindering of resources to slow them down. I was also thinking of adding an RPG element to the game where each player picks a character that has different passive effects or classes(warrior, cleric, mage etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
I'm not quite familar with netrunner, how does he asymmetry work there regarding winconditions?

"The objective for both players is to score seven agenda points.
The Corporation scores agenda points by advancing agendas; the Runner scores agenda points by stealing agendas from the Corporation. Agendas are cards that only appear in the Corporation’s deck.
The Corporation also wins if the Runner is flatlined (see “Damage” on page 20) and the Runner wins if the Corporation must draw a card from his empty draw deck."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for the advise guys! I have been thinking a lot about your input and this is where I’m at.

There will be multiple villains you can choose (maybe 3 to start)
Each villain has a 20 card premade deck of spells and items that they use as their main deck.
there will be a deck of monster cards that the villain can buy from that he can put into play to protect domain cards.

The villains job is to protect their domains and stack victory points on them. Each is guarded by monsters that must be killed before the heroes and attack the domain. If a monster dies, the villain can replace that spot with a new monster on their next turn. When a hero deals damage to a domain, it loses victory points

The villain wins by acquiring a total 20 victory points across their domains. Depending on what character you play, the conditions acquiring victory points will be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.