The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Iron Shackles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
sauron

Fairly new to this one and am a bit confused by the ruling on this sequence.

Iron Shackles came up during questing so I knowingly put it on the top of my first player deck, but then during travel phase I had an opportunity to go to the Tower Gate which creates enemies using the top card. Is this a clever way out of the Iron Shackles or am I still obliged to essentially not draw with my player one.

sauron

(sorry if this is a noob question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you treat the card as a normal card in your deck and it becomes the enemy as you say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question, but I think you'll be disappointed with the answer.

Iron Shackles attaches to the top of your deck and reads "The next time a player would draw 1 or more cards from attached deck, discard Iron Shackles instead." Emphasize the *draw* part of this sentence.

Since the effects of Tower Gate ("each player places the top card of his deck, face down in front of him, as if it just engaged him from the staging area") do not instruct you to *draw* a card, then the effects of Iron Shackles have not activated yet. You'd discard it next time you are drawing a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't answer what you should use as the tower gate enemy - the next card in your deck ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, discard the shackles and use the top card of your deck as the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

I don't think you'd discard Iron Shackles; you don't discard it until you actually "draw" a card. You'd use the card beneath Iron Shackles as the enemy, and Iron Shackles would remain attached to the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Andersson
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougtempel wrote:
Robrob wrote:

I don't think you'd discard Iron Shackles; you don't discard it until you actually "draw" a card. You'd use the card beneath Iron Shackles as the enemy, and Iron Shackles would remain attached to the deck.

+1

Had the same situation a couple of days ago and I did what dougtempel wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougtempel wrote:
Robrob wrote:

This is correct. You don't actually place Iron Shackles on top of your deck (at least that's not what the card instructs you to do, you could place it on top as a reminder). It simply attaches to the "top" of your deck, not to a particular card. When you move the top card off your deck to become an enemy, the Iron Shackles remains with the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.