Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toys R Us on-line seems to be branching out... I noticed a game when I was in TRU yesterday and thought I would see if could find the name to check if it were in the database. Well what do I notice on-line? Carcassonne? Settlers? Yep... Phalanx games, Rio Grande, check... Kramer, Knizia, check...

No great deal on price though, so I would go to my FLGS before buying on-line from them. But at least this may get a bit more exposure to the hobby....

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Denhup
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, noticed that too, in addition to their offerings of Axis & Allies and Risk games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean they even had GIPF project games - what a surprise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
United States
scotia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The tru online store has had that stuff for quite sometime i noticed it around 6 months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya. I started a thread like this a little while back. I was kind of shocked that they had some good designer games online but offline they have a bunch of junk. The prices are too high though to compete with the rest of the online game stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I've almost always just seen single copies of these games on the shelf, so I think (but haven't confirmed) that they are returns from the online store.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if we could only get them to start carrying some of the entry level wargames like the ASL Starter Kits and some of the GMT line...just maybe we can get even more new blood into the hobby...

If only we had PanzLeader and PanzerBlitz republished....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer wrote:
Now if we could only get them to start carrying some of the entry level wargames like the ASL Starter Kits and some of the GMT line...just maybe we can get even more new blood into the hobby...

If only we had PanzLeader and PanzerBlitz republished....

No, I'd just settle for the Euros they have listed. At least those would have a chance of selling enough for TRU management to take notice.

Last year our local store had Carcassonne, and it appeared to sell through stock a couple of times. I thought that would be a turning point, but sadly no--no new titles came in that same vein, and now they don't even carry Carc anymore.

They do have Narnia, Risk, and Star Wars Stratego, though--BONUS!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Hollingsworth
United Kingdom
manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still crap in the UK though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making this up (or stating the obvious), but what if TRU corporate sets up deals with vendors and it's up to each locally-run store to decide what out of those vendors they offer? Sure, there will be absolutes that stores must carry, and possibly local products, but this would allow TRU to negotiate a better overall deal.

I guess my point is that it may be simple to walk into a TRU that doesn't carry something that the online store does and request it. A half-dozen of those might wake the manager up to just ordering a stack, depending on the manager. Of course, if they were then returned it would offset the total demand. The net effect is that the local manager is most interested in stocking whatever has the greatest turnaround. Even if they were a Eurogamer it would take some determination to stock a number of shelves that might not move as fast or with as great a profit as other items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see Catan, TTR and ASL Starter kit sitting beside A&A, Zertz, and Blokus on the TRU game shelves. Something for everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
I'm making this up (or stating the obvious), but what if TRU corporate sets up deals with vendors and it's up to each locally-run store to decide what out of those vendors they offer? Sure, there will be absolutes that stores must carry, and possibly local products, but this would allow TRU to negotiate a better overall deal.

I guess my point is that it may be simple to walk into a TRU that doesn't carry something that the online store does and request it. A half-dozen of those might wake the manager up to just ordering a stack, depending on the manager. Of course, if they were then returned it would offset the total demand. The net effect is that the local manager is most interested in stocking whatever has the greatest turnaround. Even if they were a Eurogamer it would take some determination to stock a number of shelves that might not move as fast or with as great a profit as other items.

Uhm, doesn't bricks-and-mortar TRU work on the concept of 'selling shelf space'? It's not a matter of what products TRU could actually sell to the end consumer. It's a matter of how much Hasbro is paying TRU to exclusively occupy N feet of shelving in their board game section.

As I understand it, to get a foot in the door at TRU, Rio Grande or whoever would have to pay a fixed fee for a certain amount of shelf space (chain-wide). Which would likely just be met with Hasbro paying more to buy it back and Rio still having no shelf space. And Rio can't win a bidding war against Hasbro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranier Knizia
msg tools
wow, they have the Settlers of Catan anniversary edition as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.