Subject: Can you make a "private" guild? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Is it possible to make a guild that no one can see, or join with out a invite or manually added by the manager? A completely "hidden" guild?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think so, but take solace in the knowledge that many folks consider them "hidden" by nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Thing is we just started a guild called Tube Tables. The idea is to have a place that collects uTuber content creators in a single place to chat and interact with our viewers.

We want to host events like PBF games that are played out visually on our chans, doing play throughs with many chans all working together stuff like that.. but looking for a way to organise it.

We started using GeekMail but it is becoming a bit cumbersome already with just the 5 uTubers we have and we hope to attract more. Also any information sent in GeekMail needs to be sent again to any new uTubers.

So the idea was to make a new guild called "Tube Tables - Admin" or something like that and have all the content creators only in that place.. there we can chat and organise things with out spamming the other channel and keep any plans as a surprise. Also any admin type things can be posted and will remain there for prosperity.

So we were hoping that we can either make a guild completely hidden or make a way to have it invite only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think that's Octavian's territory. Maybe he would make a special exception. Have you considered Yahoo Groups (or something similar)? - somewhere where there are very precise controls for membership, etc. Downside - it's not BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
yeah, or Google or even host a simple phpBB forum or something.. it is just in my experience when trying to set up communities if you can keep it on one site and one registration then everything goes easier. Like getting the people to click "join" and set up Geek Subscriptions on the forms is a lot easier than getting them to register on a new site and then have them check it regularly in addition to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
Is it possible to make a guild that no one can see, or join with out a invite or manually added by the manager? A completely "hidden" guild?

No.

BGG is not about privacy, or group controls, or anything of the kind: never has, and never will. At least not until Aldie wins the lottery and can hire people to recode the website for him. Everything you do on this website, save geekmail, is open for everyone to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
Pity.

Perhaps. It also means there are no difficult controls to master, or shady EULAs to decypher.

In the interest of fairness I think I ought to point out that BGG came to be in a time when 'privacy' was something you only associated with 'adult activities in the master bedroom'. It is not feasible to bolt privacy onto a system which was developed from day zero without privacy in mind: it leaves too many gaps and openings which can be abused. So Aldie and the rest of the administration have in the vast majority of cases rejected any proposal in that direction.

Until, of course, he wins the Powerball (or OzLotto, as I think the equivalent is in Aussieland).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGgeek has people who do PBF games in guilds. Some games groups from particular towns in various countries use guilds that are, for all intents and purposes, "private" as well, were they organize game days and discuss plays, etc.

You might geekmail
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
and ask him about the best way to handle this. He's pretty fantastic, and I'm sure he'll have some very useful suggestions (and the authority to help).

You are probably out of luck on the completely private part, but my suggestion is to simply post clearly in the header and OP what the guild/page is for and that you would prefer people who are not part of the guild NOT post so as not to cause confusion within the pbf game.

Most everyone on the geek will support you in your wishes. The one case I saw where someone did not respect those wishes, all it took was a private geekmail with a polite request to stop and an explanation of what the guild was for. If someone made a nuisance of themself and it came to that, you could always ask Octavian or Evil Bob or someone to intercede on your behalf. I see no reason why you can't implement your idea successfully.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.