United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This past Sunday I attended an event at one of our FLGS here in the Indianapolis area, Saltire Games on the north side of Indy. It was the first time I had been to this store specifically and I can say that I was generally impressed with the layout and appearance of the store so if you live in the area I would suggest checking it out. They had ample play space and seemed to have an active table top and RPG community, but that’s not what brought me there that day.

My friend and I decided to check out their OP1 event not knowing what to expect. We tested and tuned for well over 10 hours the day before just to get comfortable with the game. I come from a competitive MtG background so I was expecting tuned lists and relatively high level play, I’m not sure what my friend was expecting but neither of us considered the fact that actually getting the product is so problematic that expecting to run into a highly competitive environment was absurd.

On the day we arrived well over 2 hours early because we failed to call or check online to see when the event ACTUALLY started so we had time to get some lunch and play a few games with our lists while people arrived. We ended up having 6 players with 3 best of 3 rounds.

I brought the following:

4 Beast – Mutate #666
3 Gambit – Ace in the Hole
5 Storm – Wind Rider
3 Mr. Fantastic – The Invincible Man
1 Doctor Strange – Master of the Mystic Arts
1 Mystique – Shapeshifter
2 Loki – Gem-Keeper
1 Professor X - Charles Francis Xavier
Power Bolt // Distraction

The idea was to stall long enough with Beasts and Gambits and then finish off with Storm and a final push, and really abusing Fantastic’s global to trigger all the Beast and resetting Gambit. If I were to run this list again I would go down to 1 Fantastic and go with 4 Gambit 2 Professor X and Drop Mystique for Colossus - Pitor Rasputin. As I found out in round 3 Venom shuts this down HARD.

Round 1 vs Michael 2-0

2 Cyclops – If Looks Could Kill
3 Storm – Goddess of the Plains
3 Mystique – Unknown
3 Phoenix – Ms. Psychic
3 Silver Surfer – Sentinel
3 Gambit – Ace in the Hole
1 Professor X – Charles Francis Xavier
2 Nova – Quasar
Gearing Up // Force Beam

Game 1

Turn 1 and 2 saw me buying all of my Beast to set up turn 3 with all sidekicks and 4 beast in the bag. My opponent meanwhile was using Surfer’s global pretty aggressively activating it every turn for his first 4 turns. Ended up pulling sidekicks turn 3 and 4 just buying up gambits and fielding 2 pawns. Turn 5 was the turn I was waiting for, my bag was all beasts and I knew I had a big turn coming, rolled a lvl 1 beast and 3 double masks. Perfect, Fielded Beast and grabbed a Storm leaving a mask open to force an attack on my opponents following turn. The rest of the game consisted of me drawing most of my bag every turn while he was forced to attack into Beast until eventually I dropped 3 storms on all of the pawns he had sitting on his side and finished him off.

Game 2

I had a pretty rocky start game 2 and utilized Surfer’s global turn 1, 2, and 3 to start digging. Meanwhile my opponent had bought most if not all of his Storm dice. I managed to get Professor X turn 4 which ended up being the key to my opponent’s undoing forcing him to pay 2 every turn, coupled with his Surfer activations he had himself at 10 by turn 6 and I didn’t even have to lift a finger. By the time I had established myself with the standard “ALL THE BEASTS AND GAMBITS” ground game he was fielding his Storm dice and forcing me to reroll everything, this is the point where I think I saw him die a little inside because in doing so he gave me sooo many dice the following turn. He knocked me all the way down from 20 to 5 in one turn but in doing so he gave me 13 dice to roll the following turn only 3 of which were sidekick dice. I grabbed my fist full and let em fly, 12 energy available I buy 2 Storm field 3 Beasts, Professor X, a Gambit (forcing me to refill my bag) pulling a Storm which ends up hitting my opponent for 4, and a second Gambit pulling a Storm hitting for 2. At this point my opponents board position has been literally blown away and I easily march through for lethal.

Round 2 vs Ray 2-1

3 Black Widow – Killer Instinct
2 Ironman – Playboy
2 Human Torch – Johnny Storm
3 Storm – Wind Rider
3 Nick Fury – Mr. Anger
2 Captain America – American Hero
2 Hulk – Green Goliath
3 Hawkeye - Robin Hood
Gearing Up // Thrown Car

Game 1

Ray was the 9 year old son of the TO so I wasn’t expecting much which I should have known better as he swept me game 1 simply because I underestimated this kid. He played all the avengers and Nick Fury – Mr. Anger to field them for free. The only think of note this game is that I actually got Mystique to work when I turned her into his Hulk. I had declared the night before that Mystique was not garbage and I would prove it. She’s garbage, wait till the card pool is much larger.

Game 2

Game 2 was uneventful, it went something like turn 1 Beast, Beast. Turn 2 Beast, Beast. Turn 3 Storm. Turn 4 Storm. Turn 5 Storm. Turn 6+ field storms and buy gambit where possible and win through attrition.

Game 3

This game was a blast and really showed me the potential of Doctor Strange, I decided to try something different and grabbed a turn 3 Strange and then just bought up Gearing Up and Power Bolt in between Beasts and Gambits and a Loki. I maintained total board control with him, Loki, and all the action dice from then on out hitting my opponent whenever possible and then clearing out enough blockers when the time was right. All I have to say is drawing 2 dice feels good, drawing 2 dice and dealing 2 damage to something feels like cheating.

Round 3 vs Courtney 0-2
This was the match I was dreading, Courtney is the guy I came with. The guy I tested hours the day before and the day of with. The guy I loaned Tsarina to. I knew how to beat it and I had won all 5 games earlier in the day when we tested but somehow I knew that when it really mattered his poor rolls would disappear.

4 Black Widow – Tsarina
3 Spiderman – Webslinger
3 Hawkeye – Longbow
1 Thor – God of Thunder
2 Human Torch – Johnny Storm
2 Nick Fury – Patch
3 Venom – Angelo Fortunato
2 Deadpool – Assassin
Force Beam // Power Bolt

Game 1

Turn 1 and 2 saw him buying all 4 Widow, Turn 3 he grabbed a Venom which I was pretty sure meant game over to my all mask team. I had 1 turn to grab a Loki and I pulled all sidekicks, Turn 6 his Venom hit the table wiping my entire field out and he attacked with 3 widows which was more than enough to seal my fate, I conceded and went to game 2.

Game 2

Almost and exact repeat of game 1. His dice were just too hot when it mattered.

Courtney ended up taking first and getting the Thor promo and someone I didn’t play (sorry I forget his name) ended up taking the other one for the fellowship prize. The event as a whole was a lot of fun and it was nice to play against other players but I couldn’t help but feel that I didn’t come away with a greater understanding of the game than when I arrived. A big part of that is players just not having access to enough product to field exactly what they want to and then on top of that I got the impression that these locals played in a vacuum which didn’t foster a learning environment for understanding the more subtle aspects of the game such as flow and transitions from early to mid to late game. And while all of that sounds pretty disparaging I truly enjoyed getting out and just playing with these guys and I look forward to going back in a few weeks to play with them again. The store was great, the event was great, and most importantly it sold me on the legitimacy and potential longevity of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I know some stores don't follow policy all the time, from what it looks like you got second, correct? Per the OP kits first and second should get Thor as well as a third Thor for fellowship. Might be something to look into.

All in all, nice team. Suprised that after seeing 4 out of 6 tournament teams in this report there wasn't a SINGLE Gobby and only 2 Johnnys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The store we played at splits their prizes as one to the TO one to first and then a Fellowship, which I don't really take issue with as they are tracking winners over their 3 planned events so no one will win multiples. The way I see it it promotes playing to have fun more than to win.

I think a very large part of not seeing Gobby is how hard it has been to find product in our area. Between my friend and I we were the only ones that had any super rares. Honestly I probably would have run Gobby if I had one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Grav feeds, not 1 super rare... le sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M Rich
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Grav feeds here also and pulled Mr Fantastic and Wolvie (the 2 that never get mentioned!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.