Heroes of Normandie» Forums » News

Subject: Shadows over Normandie kickstarter is live! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zheng Xuan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Couple of things happened since the KS started.

Pledge for SoN decreased to 70 pounds

Scenario packs and previous KS exclusives are available as add ons

Stretch goals changed
Premium shaped tokens -> Guardian Chronicles cross over punchboards

Necromancer punchboards -> kelly hero's PB (5 US heroes with alt clint and alt oddball)

DPG considering sending errata with the KS, provided people are willing to wait as the errata will be available separately in sept while the ks is projected to be fulfilled in dec.

US force in SoN consist of 4 heroes, 1 field command and 1 section. Heroes now come with their own recruitment tiles with 1 to 3 slots and options such as gears, traits and even their own vehicles (I find this quite interesting)

Posted 03/07/14:
It's live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1538673930/shadows-over...

Posted before KS:

So this image was posted on HoN website yesterday and it lead to a discussion on DPG's forum.

Turns out shadow over normandie is coming to kickstarter soon! Shadows over normandie was the cthulhu expansion available for purchase back when the original kickstarter was running. They are running the kickstarter to add more content to the expansion to make the cthulhu forces a full fledge third force.

Below is the post by Clem on the forum

clem wrote:
As Yann said :

There will be 2 pledges :

One for those who already purchased the game but want the stretch goals and the surprise. With some HoN components.

One for those who missed it during the previous KS and want the stretch goals and the surprise plus the SoN core box.

The scenarios packs will be also available.

We worked a lot on SoN box and we think it would be a shame to limit its content because of manufacturing cost.

This KS is designed to add more stuff in the Shadows Over Normandy core box and to include a complete third faction with its tokens, its cards and its dice.

People who already purchased it would of course benefit from the box updates without pledging. Same for scenarios packs.

We have still work to do to finish the 3 scenarios packs. It takes some time to do something good and keep the quality of our current graphics.

That's why we hired two additionnal graphic designers who are doing a great job and we will finish everything at the end of July.

We also decided to put the scenarios packs in boxes for storage instead of sleeves.

They will be more consistent than the DDAY with 12 tiles / punchboard instead of 9 as planned first.

An historical campaign of 10 scenarios will be included in each of the 3 scenarios pack.

All of this has a costs and we could have stick to the manufacturer's first invoice and shrink the contents of the box,

but this is not the "style of the house".

We designed this kickstarter campaign to not add too much work for us but to provide us support to finish on time and with the high quality we set for the collection. It will be maybe more beautifull.

The last point is a special stretch Goal to hire Axel at full time as community manager to keep the link with you.

Devil Pig Games is not a big company and we have faced a lot of bad surprises, errors and unexpected costs.

We count on your support and understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shadows over Normandie kickstarter coming soon!
Not interested personally, in fact if anyone wants to make a reasonable offer for my Cthulu and/or Dust units from the original KS project, go ahead.

UK offers preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.... Delivery of what we already paid for is now held hostage the product development, production and distribution involved in a new KS?

So they underfunded and over promised the first time, now need more funds but will increase the scope of the project even more. Meanwhile most backers of the 1st KS are still missing items which should have shipped in the first wave and have no idea when 2nd wave stuff will ship.

Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
So.... Delivery of what we already paid for is now held hostage the product development, production and distribution involved in a new KS?

So they underfunded and over promised the first time, now need more funds but will increase the scope of the project even more. Meanwhile most backers of the 1st KS are still missing items which should have shipped in the first wave and have no idea when 2nd wave stuff will ship.

Nice.

I, on the other hand, look at this in a positive light. The way I read it, since I've already pledged for the SoN and Scenario Bundles, the amount/quality of my rewards will be increased with no additional cost to me.

That offsets the fact that I paid extra for add-ons that got incorporated into free stretch goals for everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Doyle

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:

Nice.

It's not like they were going to get Wave 2 out this year anyway.shake

I agree they over promised. And did a poor job on planning how they would turn nearly all of the stretch goals into a marketable product.

I'm torn.
One the one hand, I am not happy they don't seem to be able to complete the Kickstarter. They still have not proven they learned how to overcome the delivery issues.
On the other, I understand they want to turn the Scenario Packs into more substantial product.

It is a bit disconcerting to think they need another fund raiser to finish what they started.

I think most people would be upset if they delivered a minimal product for the SPs to backers and then sold a beefier product as retail.

At least they are doing the right thing by provided what the final product will be to those of us already pledged.

So it puts me in an odd position. I'm not sure how to feel. I'm glad I will get a better product, while I'm not happy with the delay. I would like to help with a new KS and potentially get new HoN items, while I'm not happy with the way DPG mismanaged the first KS.

Over all, even though it will be very hard on me, I don't think I can support another DPG KS.

When it's all said and done. They will be at least a year late on delivery if the Wave 2 items. angry Assuming they have resolved they shipping issues that is.

zombie Sorry I'm rambling. Not sure if I'm making any sense either. Friends kept me out WAY too late last night playing Relic. Now I'm trying to make it through a very slow work day with not near enough sleep. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had held off on Shadows before just because I couldn't come up with any more money at the time. I'd be jumping on this even if it didn't promise upgraded components.

I have seen this happen to a KS company before. They over extend themself with stretch rewards, run into trouble with production and/or shipping, and find themself without enough capital to complete the project. At least DPG is doing something about it and rewarding anyone who will help them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zheng Xuan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think they definitely lost some money during the kickstarter due to the mistakes made. My order that has just reached today cost me a total of 173 pounds. It weight slightly over 10kg and to ship that to singapore using colissimo would cost 146.45 pounds. Now I'm sure philbert gets a cheaper rate as they are a fulfilment company with higher volume but if you were to include the charges of their service, I doubt DPG made a cent off my order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things.

There's already a third faction.
The brits. No?

Second, I'm not reading that it's being held hostage.
More so that they want to improve on it.
And for that they need more funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Doyle

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:

The brits. No?

The Brits are Allies. German Axis. I would assume both of those could fight against Cthulu.

ropya wrote:

What happens if the KS fails?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed "all in" for the original and been excited for the Shadows expansion. Not sure how I feel about the 2nd KS. If you don't back it but it succeeds then anyone that previously backed those items will get better stuff. So that's a big win.

But if you are a completionist, then this means even more stuff to have to buy to keep up. I've already spent over $400 on the game and so far only waffling on subscribing to the Gazette.

I'd be surprised if this isn't a success though. The game is getting glowing reviews and demand is there for the original KS exclusives so I'd be surprised if they don't make their goal. But man, the game is getting pretty expensive to collect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys Shadows over Normandie is the official boardgame of Achtung! Cthlhu and it's in safe hands with Clem and the guys. They're doing an amazing job on the artwork and bringing our world to life.

SoN is well under way in development and will be released regardless but this new kickstarter will mean everyone who pledged for SoN first time around will get even more cool stuff without lifting a finger.

We're 100% behind them and will help make sure it's a big success as we want an really awesome line of expansions to join the already very cool looking box set (I'm seeing the scenarios and contents - wow!)

chris
Modiphius
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

The game is getting glowing reviews

Where are these reviews?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who was interested in the Cthulhu-ified squad-level combat but didn't become aware of the game until the KS ended, there being a new campaign that entirely focuses on that greatly interests me. I will wait to see what the levels/prices are but I'm reasonably likely to pitch in.

Mini-side note: the banner on their page has been updated a tiny bit, it now says "July 2014."

There are five reviews of it here on BGG, one is not in English, and out of the other four, two seem like reviews, one is a general collection of thoughts, and the other sounds a bit more like a session report. Tom Vasel of the Dice Tower put up his review the other day and praised the game quite a bit (but thought the manual made the game seem more difficult to play than it really is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AKDoyle wrote:
ropya wrote:

The brits. No?

The Brits are Allies. German Axis. I would assume both of those could fight against Cthulu.

ropya wrote:

What happens if the KS fails?

Then you can bet we'll be getting our original not as awesome sets.
They won't make that mistake.

Beyond that, I don't think it will fail.
A
Odds are good I'll be in on it to get new stuff.
Be awesome if they the Gazette boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This news really is a nice surprise. I did not back the original scenario boxes because of costs, but I will definitely be looking at SoN this go around. HoN is a great game! I'm very happy with my KS experience and understand the pitfalls that plague KS first timers. DPG has done a good job with the adversities they've encountered. They are human... at least I think they are human. Maybe there is more to the Devil Pig than we know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
ScottE wrote:

The game is getting glowing reviews

Where are these reviews?
Okay, turn up the brightness on your display.

I like the game. It is fun to play. I think it looks great. Yes there are some counter errata (with fixes available and on the way) and there were some shipment issues (with fixes on the way) but there is so much fun packed in the base box that it is okay to wait a bit for more/the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious if the expansion of the scenario books might be influenced by the scattered complaints about the training scenarios in the core box being limited/simplistic.

But you can count me in... If the prices are good then I will be picking up all the scenario sets and hopefully some of the KS stuff I could not afford on the last go-round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the first Kickstarter.

Will this second Kickstarter allow me an opportunity to jump in and get the base game? With the original promos / stretch goals? Will I have to buy the expansion to get the base game?

And here is the biggest question ...

Will the new Kickstarter / base games have the errata included in the game? Or am I pledging for boxes that were already printed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
I missed the first Kickstarter.

Will this second Kickstarter allow me an opportunity to jump in and get the base game? With the original promos / stretch goals? Will I have to buy the expansion to get the base game?

And here is the biggest question ...

Will the new Kickstarter / base games have the errata included in the game? Or am I pledging for boxes that were already printed?

You can buy the base set NOW but it won't include any stretch goals because that was for KS only. Also the errata will be just the same as it was all printed at the same time.

If you wait for a second edition, hopefully the errata will be corrected but the stretch goals are now items for sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clem added some precisions about the KS.

I propose this translation:

Quote:
For us, the things that take time to do are the scenarios and the parts of the core box. We had to do it anyway.

By adding a third faction, we do not add a lot of work as it was already planned since the beginning, just without its deck and order token. Its specific cards would have been suffled to the mythos deck. So for this, there is no much work too.

Strech goals have been conceived in order to not create a work overload. (No scenario to test and to print, so we'll have time to develop them and they will be in the download section).

Furthermore, as Yann said, we still are a young and fragile companie that had to face unexpected situations. We need some cash flow to keep going forward, to create, to live. But since we still are Devil Pigs, we don't want to trick thoses of you who already helped us. This is why the SoN Core Box will see its content increased, the same for the scenario packs.

You will see what I mean when the KS will be online. I think you will be at ease when you will see what you will win even without spending another €uro (or just by taking the small pledge that should be around 20-25£). Think about thoses who did not take SoN and were skuling when we announced that it became a stand alone. And all the new players who discovered this game afterward and who will wanted new scenario packs. Thanks to them, we will be able to turn those products into crazy stuff!

So, no, we do not fall into ceaseless KS. The last one was more than a year ago and the financial model of the KS is hard to sustain.

Ultimately, go if you can, and if not, do not worry, the KS exclus should be in the next one.

Hope it answers some question.

Also, the new faction is the Deep Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Ones? Sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's coming!

Starting on July the third. 5PM (Paris).

Link to Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
£70 = $120

I want it, but can I afford it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can afford it but I don't want it. Happy to stick with WW2 on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.