Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Reitz
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
We purchased a copy of Romance of the Nine Empires at Origins. A question we have concerns bowing. The rules mention bowing for engaging, and some cards have text that say to bow to use an ability such as providing gold. But what about a card like Ecehatl? In bold the ability is Summer, 1 food. Do you need to bow the card to receive the food even though it doesn't mention bowing. After that the text says to bow this card to draw a card. So do I bow the card to receive 1 food and then draw a card; or do leave the card alone and receive 1 food? If I bow it do I draw a card, but then don't get the food? Or can I receive the food in summer, and then later bow the card and draw a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
The bold part of an ability is it's cost. In the case of Ecehatl, the ability may only be used during Summer and costs 1 Food - so to use the ability you pay 1 food. Then, the effect of the ability is to Bow the card and draw a card.

If bowing the card is neither part of the cost or effect of an ability then you don't bow the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsith wrote:
We purchased a copy of Romance of the Nine Empires at Origins. A question we have concerns bowing. The rules mention bowing for engaging, and some cards have text that say to bow to use an ability such as providing gold. But what about a card like Ecehatl? In bold the ability is Summer, 1 food. Do you need to bow the card to receive the food even though it doesn't mention bowing. After that the text says to bow this card to draw a card. So do I bow the card to receive 1 food and then draw a card; or do leave the card alone and receive 1 food? If I bow it do I draw a card, but then don't get the food? Or can I receive the food in summer, and then later bow the card and draw a card?

I don't know about in R9E. But in most card games (including L5R), if it doesn't say to bow the card, then you don't bow the card. That's not a "cost" of that ability. You can also use multiple abilities on the same card as long as you can pay all their costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
thanks for the clarification. The rules are a bit vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.