Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Applewhite
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 5 years of having this epic game on my shelf, I am very close to having the opportunity to play it soon!!!

Just downloaded Torque's abridged 2 page cheat sheet and while reviewing it, I noticed something I don't remember reading in the rules for the base game (no options, no expansions, no house rules): "max. 7 Action Cards and max. 5 Political Cards".

I knew about the max 7 action cards, but the max 5 political cards statement sent my mind searching to remember that one, and I came up empty. I really don't remember reading this and I have gone back and tried to find any reference to this to no avail. Can anyone help me with this? Is there a limit on the number of Political Cards in play?

Thank you in advance!

I am looking forward to playing this (most likely 3 player this time). Also, does anyone have any suggestions for my/our first game?

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FRM Vicious
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I believe this came into the game with the first expansion. In SE, when playing with the Assembly SC, every player is dealt political cards for his hand. But in the base game the political cards are only drawn while the political SC is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, it's from the Shattered Empire expansion, and really only comes into play when using Assembly (or Assembly II from Shards).

The rule itself is found on page 15 of the Shattered Empire rule in the little sidebar/box called "Political Cards and the Assembly Strategy Card".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Applewhite
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thank you for the quick response!

Makes me feel better knowing that my mind and my eyes are functioning well as I could not find it in any material shake I had. Since I do not have any of the expansions your responses helped a lot.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strike wrote:
After 5 years of having this epic game on my shelf, I am very close to having the opportunity to play it soon!!!

Just downloaded Torque's abridged 2 page cheat sheet and while reviewing it, I noticed something I don't remember reading in the rules for the base game (no options, no expansions, no house rules): "max. 7 Action Cards and max. 5 Political Cards".

I knew about the max 7 action cards, but the max 5 political cards statement sent my mind searching to remember that one, and I came up empty. I really don't remember reading this and I have gone back and tried to find any reference to this to no avail. Can anyone help me with this? Is there a limit on the number of Political Cards in play?

Thank you in advance!

I am looking forward to playing this (most likely 3 player this time). Also, does anyone have any suggestions for my/our first game?

Thanks again.

This is the best way to play your first game, IMHO. You can add in all the other stuff later per your group's tastes and preferences...optional rules, variants, house rules, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Applewhite
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
Strike wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Thanks again.

This is the best way to play your first game, IMHO. You can add in all the other stuff later per your group's tastes and preferences...optional rules, variants, house rules, etc.

Thanks Scott. I will take your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree with "No Expansions"

I much prefer to use the Shattered Empire objectives, and somewhat prefer to use the Shattered Empire strategy cards in a first game. I find that the SE objectives make the game better match player expectations. I find that the SE strategy cards make players "richer" and are therefore less punishing of the relatively loose play of beginners.

I also much prefer my houseruled galaxy generation, and have always had a negative experience when generating the galaxy RAW. I create a "balanced" starting galaxy and set-up the board before players arrive, at which point I randomly assign start locations. This saves time, reduces the probability that a new player has a terrible start position, and gives me a full board to teach on.

I also don't think anything is gained by omitting Mechanized units or the expansion technologies.

My one suggestion for a first game is: make it your job (if you are host) to always know whose turn it is and to make sure that that player knows that it is their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.