David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

Just wanted to share, because I'm excited ... I'm an illustrator/designer by trade, and I knew that making the art for Trove was going to take forever and be the part of the game I was least satisfied, due to my own perfectionism. I've been PnP-ready for about a month now, but haven't made any real forward progress because I keep re-drawing the same assets over and over and over.

Last night, I decided to go ahead and just use borrowed/found art from around the Internet to create my PnP version — and ROCKETED forward. I'm so excited to see how fast everything is coming together!

(All of this is for Trove, my totally asymmetric dungeon-crawl: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1175320/trove-crazy-asymmetr...)

I can't wait to get the rest of the cards, tiles, standups, etc. put together! I'll be sure to post up a picture of the full set when it's ready, and more when I get it back from TheGameCrafter.

(PS — I know it's all a jumbled stack and out of context without the rules ... but if anyone DOES have any comments/critiques on the art shown here, I love feedback, and would be hugely grateful for any insights you might have to offer!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Like it!
though i did like your hand drawn prototype art.... was hoping to see more of that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
Like it!
though i did like your hand drawn prototype art.... was hoping to see more of that...

Thanks, I appreciate that! I may circle back to that if I can't get any publishers to bite this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add more emphasis:
I REALLY liked your hand drawn stuff!!
I'd absolutely buy a game for that kind of art, even if it's not terribly polished (well, maybe a bit more polished than the hand drawn prototype of course, but still has that hand drawn feel to it, just a bit of colour added and a bit more detail).
As much as i like the new art (it's implemented well and it looks quite professional) it also looks a bit generic (as most artwork for boardgames does).
If i were you i'd totally go for a more unique look!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
Just to add more emphasis:
I REALLY liked your hand drawn stuff!!
I'd absolutely buy a game for that kind of art, even if it's not terribly polished (well, maybe a bit more polished than the hand drawn prototype of course, but still has that hand drawn feel to it, just a bit of colour added and a bit more detail).
As much as i like the new art (it's implemented well and it looks quite professional) it also looks a bit generic (as most artwork for boardgames does).
If i were you i'd totally go for a more unique look!

Huh, that's good input! I'd never considered that... I'll probably go ahead with the generic look for a prototype to shop around to publishers, so it's good and glossy... but that's a good note to keep in mind if I land a deal and am asked for art input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say borrowed/found, do you mean you got permission? As an illustrator I imagine you realise this, but if you're going to make these files available to the public as a P&P, you can't use any artwork without the express permission of the creator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ianotoole wrote:
When you say borrowed/found, do you mean you got permission? As an illustrator I imagine you realise this, but if you're going to make these files available to the public as a P&P, you can't use any artwork without the express permission of the creator.

Absolutely, Ian! When I say "PnP," I don't actually mean a public, free PnP — my intent is to provide specific prototype copies to private individuals, for noncommercial playtesting only, with full attribution to each artist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smrvl wrote:

my intent is to provide specific prototype copies to private individuals, for noncommercial playtesting only, with full attribution to each artist.

While that would likely be enough to satisfy most people, so far as I understand it, strictly speaking it's illegal as soon as you give it to another person - regardless of whether it's a friend, regardless of whether you charge for it and regardless of whether you attribute the work.

Strictly speaking, you're probably already breaching copyright by publishing the image at the top of this thread, because it's a derivative work of the work of several artists from whom you have not licensed their intellectual property. I'm not sure how easy it would be to argue fair use!

The safer approach would be to contact the artists in question and ask permission to use the images in such a manner - private, limited distribution, with full attribution, and without charging. Many will say yes, because it doesn't damage them at all and they may even potentially get some work out of it in the long run... and the ones that say no, you're avoiding potentially upsetting.

The not-quite-so-safe-but-still-more-polite option is to put 'FPO' or 'For Position Only' conspicuously over each piece of 'borrowed' art, to make it clear that you're using it only for the purpose of showing what the whole card composition will look broadly like once you have properly licensed artwork in place, and that you have no intention of making long-term unlicensed use of that material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yikes, okay — thank you for helping me understand that! I really appreciate you taking the time!! I'll change tactics accordingly.

Much appreciated, seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your graphic design is, as usual, gorgeous.

One thing though, shouldn't the cards have some kind of reference in the top left corner, just so you can see what they are when fanned out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:
Your graphic design is, as usual, gorgeous.

One thing though, shouldn't the cards have some kind of reference in the top left corner, just so you can see what they are when fanned out?

Thanks! And I'll give thought to the reference... It's a good idea, but I'm not totally sure what I'd put there. Different for every set, I guess.

BTW, I'm going to go dark on this thread for a week — going out of town and unplugging all the way. But if anyone has further comments to add, please do so! I'll look forward to checking in when I get back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.