19 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant Brainstorm: Transformers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
Ok, so there are plenty of characters to work with in the Transformers Franchise. Hell there are plenty of continuities. But man would it be fun.

A Soundwave Mastermind who always leads the cassettes? Perfect! I'm having trouble breaking them down into groups, but I'm guessing the Constructicons, or Insecticons... Hell get into certain continuities and you have Heralds of Unicron.

Less easy are the Heroes, which aren't necessarily as easily groups, not to mention the abundance of Tech cards.

Now I grew up more in the Beast Wars/Machines era, which admittedly has some fun possibilities of it's own, (BM Megatron leading the Vehicon Generals + Diagnostic Drone anyone?) but I guess I'm enlisting the help of the G1 fans, cause this could be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That shouldn't be so hard. You could just start small.

Mastermind: Megatron
Always leads: G1 Decepticons (Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, Skywarp)
(Make up your own mastermind ability)
As for henchmen, aren't there some sort of generic decepticons called Sweeps or something?

As for the Autobots, I'd go with something like:
Optimus Prime (duh)
Bumblebee

I think you could play around with a "Transform" Keyword, both for the Decepticons and the Autobots. Maybe something about 'transforming' recruit and attack. (Like, at the moment you play the card, you change around the current cumulative attack and recruit)

So say I play a bunch of genreric cards so I have 3 recruit and 2 attack. I then play my Common Optimus Prime which has 2 recruit. So I'd have 5 recruit and 2 attack, but then Transform kicks in and I switch them around. so I'd have 5 attack and 2 recruit instead. (I don't know what to do with the villain cards though)

I have to admit, my knowledge of Transformers is limited to only Armada, so I had to google some names and stuff. But I think it could be a fun variant.

And if you wanted to play with Unicron, you can easily take Galactus as a template.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nguyen
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
Mind each Transformers cluster has their own tricks thrown in there to get an idea of how much trouble you can get into with the smaller ones, as well as non-SHIELD Organizations (some being Vilians or even Unique characters that can complicate things)

For example, the Witwicky Family could be lurking in the Bystandard Deck that can be used as Trophies* in lieu of the usual Bystandard powers (but bigger penalties if they get carried off the board), due to how they seem to contribute in G1.

For SHIELD Replacements (if not using Marvel contiunity), you can have an Agent, Officer and Trooper set of the UN Forces (G1, some parts of the Bay films, though covers other Hasbro-based settings in some comics), the Organization NEST (Bay film contiunity forces that stood between the first film and Revenge of the Fallen) or even MECH (though villians in Transformers Prime, one could see them in a diffrent light)

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Human_organizations - To get an idea, use this reference when coming up with SHIELD replacements

*: Trophies are a term used in Ascention but some Monsters grant a passive ability for the rest of the game if you defeat certain targets, such as Avatar of the Fallen's ability to power up your strikes for each uniquely named Monster you defeated for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starscream leading the combaticons.

That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nguyen
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
Sly master9 wrote:
I think you could play around with a "Transform" Keyword, both for the Decepticons and the Autobots. Maybe something about 'transforming' recruit and attack. (Like, at the moment you play the card, you change around the current cumulative attack and recruit)

So say I play a bunch of genreric cards so I have 3 recruit and 2 attack. I then play my Common Optimus Prime which has 2 recruit. So I'd have 5 recruit and 2 attack, but then Transform kicks in and I switch them around. so I'd have 5 attack and 2 recruit instead. (I don't know what to do with the villain cards though)

Honestly, Villians and Henchmen could use it as a Second Chance to get out of being hit as a Fight Effect (basically, if this is subjected as a Battle target, pay extra or they Transform and temporary escape your grasp) but eh... that'd get out of hand/out of control...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
Ever get the feeling you have too many ideas, and not enough time to really flesh them all out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HATE THIS THREAD! FREAKING HATE IT! THIS MAKES MY SOUL HURT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
buck fuddr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have been working on this for about a month now. Here are some things im putting in my version.

bystandards are placed with drivers. And when you save them or draw them from your deck you can choose to keep the card placed infront of you and they provide a passive bonus. Switching out a hero shuffles them back into the "bystandard" deck.

Transforming for enemies was either going to be that 2 cards were robot, and 2 cards were vehicle or there is a vanilla transform card that works like the bystandards in the villan deck where it goes under the villan. and would give different bonuses, like star scream moves 2 now and you can place star scream on top of other villans (to not push them too fast).

Also one of the masterminds I had was devastator. and he leads the constructacons. He starts with 8 attack. and then gets a temporary +3 for every constructacon on the field and gets a permanent +3 for every one of them that escaped. The mechanics make them escape a little fast too. If a double escapes, then everyone takes a damage "wound"

and every damage does random effects and have different ways to fix "heal" themselves. when you draw a damage you place it in front of you and it will do something passive till its fixed (like drawing 5 cards instead of 6, or you can draw more than your original hand every turn, or you take 1 additional damage whenever your dealt damage)

The heroes were easy of course, optimus prime was like captain america where he got better with more avengers "autobots" that you played. Bumble bee helped with rescuing heroes. Rachet helping with repairs and so does the human sparkplug witwicky.

I added in other mechanics like you can place one of the cliffjumpers on any open spot on the encounter area and when a villain touches that spot you place cliffjumper under the card and you reduce the attack of that villain by 2. when that villain is defeated you place cliffjumper in your discard pile.

I can go on and on, but the sad thing is licensing. Breznor told me it cant happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:

If Brenzor (publisher of Lengendary) is hating on this... It makes the mind go wild... Is there something in the works... around the "transform" keyword or a possible Transformers game???

One can only hope...
*queue "conspiracy" music*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
Brenzor wrote:

You have my genuine sincere apologies Brenzor, it was never my intent to step on any toes. I'd delete the thread if I could, but since I can't, can someone else lock and/or delete it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL it sounds like Brenzor is a transformer's fan but UD cannot get the licensing.devil

Carry on. Autobots! Roll-Out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1havok12 wrote:
LOL it sounds like Brenzor is a transformer's fan but UD cannot get the licensing.devil

Pretty much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Tran
msg tools
So I'm a huge Transformers fan, maybe more then I am a Marvel fan. Don't really care for a Transformers version, but I sure love brainstorming.

Always Leads: Decepticons Troops (Reflector, Blitzwing, Astrotrain, Bludgeon)
Master Strike: "Fusion Cannon" - Each player KOs a hero from their hand.

Tactics 1: "I Still Function" - If this is not the last tactic, then put this tactic back under Megatron and recruit a hero in the HQ for free. (Megatron was thrown off of Astrotrain to make the trip back to Cybertron, thus lightening the load on the HQ, plus he is still in play)

Tactics 2: "Gladiator of Kaon" - Attacking player gains 3 wounds. (Megatron is supposed to be the toughest fighter in the TFU so you may hurt him, but his battle experience means he'll hurt you as well.)

Tactics 3: "Dark Energon" - Attacking player may draw up to 4 extra cards on their next draw, but must KO the same number of cards from the top of the deck. (Dark Energon/Blood of Unicron is a highly unstable form of energon and comes at a price.)

Tactics 4: "Starscream Intercept" - KO a hero from the HQ with a recruit cost of 4 or higher. (Megatron transforms into a gun and Starscream fires it.)

Reason for Decepticon Troops because the other big names can easily be their own Masterminds. Starscream - Combaticons, Soundwave - his tapes, Shockwave - Cybertronian Decepticons, Scrapper - Constructicons

Plus other names can be other villain groups. Seekers (Thundercracker and Skywarp), Insecticons, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
SoljaRTT wrote:
So I'm a huge Transformers fan, maybe more then I am a Marvel fan. Don't really care for a Transformers version, but I sure love brainstorming.

Always Leads: Decepticons Troops (Reflector, Blitzwing, Astrotrain, Bludgeon)
Master Strike: "Fusion Cannon" - Each player KOs a hero from their hand.

Tactics 1: "I Still Function" - If this is not the last tactic, then put this tactic back under Megatron and recruit a hero in the HQ for free. (Megatron was thrown off of Astrotrain to make the trip back to Cybertron, thus lightening the load on the HQ, plus he is still in play)

Tactics 2: "Gladiator of Kaon" - Attacking player gains 3 wounds. (Megatron is supposed to be the toughest fighter in the TFU so you may hurt him, but his battle experience means he'll hurt you as well.)

Tactics 3: "Dark Energon" - Attacking player may draw up to 4 extra cards on their next draw, but must KO the same number of cards from the top of the deck. (Dark Energon/Blood of Unicron is a highly unstable form of energon and comes at a price.)

Tactics 4: "Starscream Intercept" - KO a hero from the HQ with a recruit cost of 4 or higher. (Megatron transforms into a gun and Starscream fires it.)

Reason for Decepticon Troops because the other big names can easily be their own Masterminds. Starscream - Combaticons, Soundwave - his tapes, Shockwave - Cybertronian Decepticons, Scrapper - Constructicons

Plus other names can be other villain groups. Seekers (Thundercracker and Skywarp), Insecticons, etc.

Aside from (understandably) copying Red Skull's Master Strike, I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
1havok12 wrote:

Pretty much.

FACK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Tran
msg tools
Mastermind: Starscream
Always Leads: Combaticons
Master Strike: "Fly By" Each player reveal a "ranged" hero or discard to 4 cards.

Tactics 1: "Null-Ray Rifle" - Each other player must discard a card from their hand. (Not exactly lethal, but more like a stun gun.)

Tactics 2: "Ultimate Opportunist" - Each other player reveal the top card of their deck, attacking player may choose to gain one of those cards. (It's Starscream.)

Tactics 3: "Foiled Plan" - Each other player may draw an extra card, attacking player gains a wound for each player that does this. (Starscream's plans usually fail.)

Tactics 4: "Starscream's Ghost" - Attacking player may give this tactic to another player, attacking player may now gain any card from that players deck/discard pile. (Starscream's spark has possessed a couple of bots from various series.)

If you didn't caught the theme, Starscream is all about screwing over others for his gain.

I did also think of a Scheme for the Combaticons.

Rampage of Bruticus
8 Twist

Twist: Each player must put one Combaticons in their victory pile back on top of the villain deck, then play top card of villian deck. (Same as the Sinister Six one.)

Evil Wins: When each city space is occupied by a Combaticons. (no matter what name is on the card)

Figure a situation where each unique Combaticon would be in the city would be highly unlikely, so I just had it just the villain group in general. The point in the scheme is that the Combaticons would combine to form Bruticus and evil wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoljaRTT wrote:
Mastermind: Starscream
Always Leads: Combaticons
Master Strike: "Fly By" Each player reveal a "ranged" hero or discard to 4 cards.

Tactics 1: "Null-Ray Rifle" - Each other player must discard a card from their hand. (Not exactly lethal, but more like a stun gun.)

Tactics 2: "Ultimate Opportunist" - Each other player reveal the top card of their deck, attacking player may choose to gain one of those cards. (It's Starscream.)

Tactics 3: "Foiled Plan" - Each other player may draw an extra card, attacking player gains a wound for each player that does this. (Starscream's plans usually fail.)

Tactics 4: "Starscream's Ghost" - Attacking player may give this tactic to another player, attacking player may now gain any card from that players deck/discard pile. (Starscream's spark has possessed a couple of bots from various series.)

If you didn't caught the theme, Starscream is all about screwing over others for his gain.

I did also think of a Scheme for the Combaticons.

Rampage of Bruticus
8 Twist

Twist: Each player must put one Combaticons in their victory pile back on top of the villain deck, then play top card of villian deck. (Same as the Sinister Six one.)

Evil Wins: When each city space is occupied by a Combaticons. (no matter what name is on the card)

Figure a situation where each unique Combaticon would be in the city would be highly unlikely, so I just had it just the villain group in general. The point in the scheme is that the Combaticons would combine to form Bruticus and evil wins.

Yes, the Bruticus scheme is perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I know this post hasn't been active for a while but I subscribed hoping a transformers expansion would get posted so thought others might have too.

Anyway, I've just posted my attempt at a transformers expansion.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17432072#1743207

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Brenzor wrote:
1havok12 wrote:

Pretty much.

Just found this thread, hope's gone ;(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.