Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Coates
United States
Payson
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
I seem to be hearing a lot of confusion on the timing and availability of REACH and SCOUT.

The abilities seem pretty simple to me, so I imagine a slight rewording could clear this up. But maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps the real issue is confusion over the ASSISTING rules.

I am starting this thread for feedback.

REACH and SCOUT let you see rolls before combat and nothing else. They are unrelated to asking for assistance. You do not have to be the active hero to activate REACH or SCOUT.

Assisting is pretty simple from my view:

1 - You must do what you agree to do (so it's dangerous to say "I'll help you no matter what.)

2 - Once you commit to fight a monster, it is too late to pick an assistant or avoid the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best explanation I've seen for this yet! Very simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just to be sure I understand it right, since I am still confused on how these abilities are used as an assistant to an active player. I could see it going one of three ways:

1)If I am assisting another player in combat and I have reach or scout, it allows me to roll the appropriate dice before I commit to helping fight the monster. So I could offer to help, roll my dice and then decide not to commit, but the other player could still ask someone else for help?

2)Any abilities I use as an assistant are used FOR the active player. So if I agree to assist and I have reach/scout, I would then roll the appropriate dice and let the active player decide to then not fight it or fight it?

3) Or can you simply not use reach or scout as an assisting player?

Thanks for going clear up the confusion, you're post has helped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Coates
United States
Payson
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
1 - Yes.

2 - Yes. If you ignore SCOUT and REACH for the moment, it is very normal for the assistant and active player to discuss the strength of the monster together. A bad roll using reach is not much different than a third player threatening to use everything he has to stop you. As I see it, REACH and SCOUT are unrelated to this issue.

3 - Yes, you don't HAVE to use your abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoates2 wrote:
The abilities seem pretty simple to me, so I imagine a slight rewording could clear this up.

I think the difficulty is that what you want the abilities to do is not what people expect them to do. I would never in a million years have thought that someone could roll his dice on my turn before even discussing assistance. It defies my expectation of it being "my" turn.

Wording can make your expectations more clear, but it doesn't change the cognitive dissonance for me. I understand your vision of the rule clearly now, but I still think it clutters the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.