Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for clarification of where to place Barbarians and specifically para 30.5211

Rome is a primary victim of a Barbarian Hordes calamity. However, both of its starting locations are occupied by another player. In addition, one of the Egyptian starting locations is left unoccupied.

According to para 30.5211 "If the primary victim does not have units in any of his start areas, the Barbarians are initially placed in an empty start area".

According to that sentence, the Barbarian hordes would start in the Egyptian start area, on the other side of the board from the victim?!?

Is that a correct interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GordoMG wrote:
I'm looking for clarification of where to place Barbarians and specifically para 30.5211

Rome is a primary victim of a Barbarian Hordes calamity. However, both of its starting locations are occupied by another player. In addition, one of the Egyptian starting locations is left unoccupied.

According to para 30.5211 "If the primary victim does not have units in any of his start areas, the Barbarians are initially placed in an empty start area".

According to that sentence, the Barbarian hordes would start in the Egyptian start area, on the other side of the board from the victim?!?

I'm fairly sure that that isn't a correct interpretation. At least it's never been interpreted that way when I've been playing. I'm sure that it refers to an empty start area of the primary victim. So in this case as there is no empty area and there are none of the victims units in a start area, you look at the final sentence of rule 30.5211, which says "They may be placed in an area which contains units belonging to a player other than the primary victim only if no other area is available." So in this case you would place the barbarian units in one of the Roman start areas occupied by another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought. Appreciate the quick response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GordoMG wrote:

The simple version: The barbarians appear in the victim's start area and it doesn't matter who's units are there. They'll fight who's there the move on...but they have to move toward the primary victim's units even if they go through another player.

It's not always a bad idea to let other players go into your start area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.