Subject: Similarities to Pandemic and Flash Point rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Coley
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, so I am a big fan of co op games especially Pandemic, and Flah Point fire rescue. I own pandemic, and want to buy Flash point, but I just ordered this game. I have heard comparisons made to both Pandemic and Flash Point, and that the games are similar, but I was wondering from those who have played this if it is different enough to justify owning all three, or if I should skip buying Flash Point.

As an aside the biggest reason I want to buy Flash Point is that my wife is a huge fan. She has played Pandemic and doesn't really enjoy that game, mostly because of the theme of trying to save the world, and the fact that we lost pretty horrifically the two times she has played it. I am just worried looking at this game in videos and reviews that it plays a bit to closely to flash point.

TLDR: Should I own both this and Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fan of co-ops and having played all three I can attest that they all have a different theme, flavour and feel.

All co-ops will have similarities, I suppose you need to weigh-up if those similarities are too close. That's not a decision I can make for you, but I can give you my personal impressions.

Pandemic I love because it is, in my opinion, a foundational design upon which many subsequent co-ops have been based. In short a game that spurred a co-op revolution. Even after hundreds of plays, it still feels like a challenge to me and it is a game that will always have a place on my shelves.

Flash Point I like because of the theme immersion and greater accessibility for kids and non-gamers. Who doesn't want to be a fireman saving lives from a raging fire? I enjoy it because it thematically rich and quite simple in implementation. It may not have the elegance of Pandemic but it is sufficiently different to scratch my co-op itch. Add to this all the expansions and this is another game that has a permanent place on my gaming shelves.

Jupiter Rescue is only a recent acquisition and I've only played it twice, so it is difficult to assess against the other two games, but while it has a lot of fun elements, I haven't really enjoyed it as much as the other two. Even though it is fun to rescue people from the horrible aliens it doesn't really have enough of a 'hook' for me. I'm not sure there is enough variety to withstand repeated plays. I suspect the game will start to feel a bit 'samey' after a few more plays.

I'd definitely choose Flash Point over Jupiter Rescue - but that's just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Major
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Highly biased opinion here!

I've played Pandemic once and Flash Point a couple of times (and Jupiter Rescue, well, a lot). I'd say Jupiter Rescue is sort of like Flash Point with superpowers. You get a core ability (like Flash Point) but you're also getting more one-time-use abilities along the way and that REALLY adds some interesting options to the gameplay. Another big thing is getting around the board. One thing that frustrates me sometimes with Flash Point is when stuff starts exploding, you might have just wasted all your actions getting someplace only to have it blocked at the last second. Jupiter Rescue has a lot of cards and combos that can get you from place to place faster, and because the board is random each time, there are very few times where a path is truly blocked for you. That said, the random tile-placed board of Jupiter Rescue can occasionally get a bad shuffle, so having a board that you know is balanced from all sides is nice sometimes.

I also don't know how many people you tend to play games with, but I know some co-ops have a real scalability problem. Jupiter Rescue is nice and versatile; we've played scores of 2 player games, and those are fun and you get a real sense of teamwork there. The big 7-player games are also great, though things can get hilariously terrible by the time it gets back to your turn.

I totally get where the theme of Pandemic (and lean toward horrific losses) can be a downer, and I'd say about 30-40% of our games of Jupiter Rescue with new folks turn into losses, too. But I think the difference is that Jupiter Rescue's theme is a little less close to home. So it might strike a better chord with her thematically, especially if she's a sci-fi fan.

And if you want some really goofy co-ops that are faster paced, I also really recommend Red November and Space Alert, though they're both better with more people as opposed to fewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.