Subject: Tense, tactical conflict game for 2-4(5) players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poczet Herbut
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I'm looking for a new game that will fill a missing place in my collection. It should be a game with high interaction, conflict - more tactical than strategic, not a wargame or LCG format. I guess I'm looking for a hybrid between ameri and euro. Something with clever and surprising design filled with tense back and forth gameplay. Maybe it will be easier to show what kind of game I want by listing my current types and worries that stop me from buying them for now:

1. Theseus: The Dark Orbit - would be perfect but too many people claim that it doesn't work well for 3 people (which is my main playing group count)

2. Wiz-war - might not have enough game inside, besides i own too many pure ameritrash games already.

3. Quarriors - a lot of people say strategic choices are nonexistant

4. Quantum - haven't found big cons so far

5. Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game - I don't know, my heart just doesn't tick for this game

That's my short list for now, I'll be happy to hear what good people of BGG have to offer. :]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
When you say tactical conflict I think more on the lines of:

Eclipse
Runewars
Game of Thrones
Twilight Imperium
Descent

Or how about:

Rex
Terra Mystica
Kemet
Clash of Cultures
Dominent Species?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should give Quantum another look. I picked it up on a whim late last year and I've been enjoying it ever since. It's very luck-based, but I think it has everything you're looking for. Quick, intense conflict coupled with innovative and sleek ways of using dice for multiple ways of tracking stats makes this one a winner for me.

Blood Bowl: Team Manager is okay, but I think it shines best at 2 and 3 players. 4 players becomes a little too chaotic.

If I had to recommend something else, Small World is certainly worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Small World fits your requirements quite well, although I don't like this game much personally, I cannot really say why, it's just a good game that I don't feel like playing too often.

How about Cyclades?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I know you said not a wargame, but Conflict of Heroes seems to otherwise be spot on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet and Nexus Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poczet Herbut
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Lowecore wrote:
When you say tactical conflict I think more on the lines of:

Eclipse
Runewars
Game of Thrones
Twilight Imperium
Descent

Or how about:

Rex
Terra Mystica
Kemet
Clash of Cultures
Dominent Species?

Yeah, those are all great choices, but for now I'm looking for a game on a smaller scale :]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poczet Herbut
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
newkillerstar27 wrote:
You should give Quantum another look. I picked it up on a whim late last year and I've been enjoying it ever since. It's very luck-based, but I think it has everything you're looking for. Quick, intense conflict coupled with innovative and sleek ways of using dice for multiple ways of tracking stats makes this one a winner for me.

Blood Bowl: Team Manager is okay, but I think it shines best at 2 and 3 players. 4 players becomes a little too chaotic.

Quantum is slowly coming on top of my list. It seems like a great game so far.

Haven't considered Small world yet, I never played it and always considered it rather a lifght family game, but maybe i need to take a closer look, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me also recommend Quantum. It's a great game, very elegant and filled with interaction.

I only have two problems with it:

-The 2 player game isn't great.
-It only supports up to 4 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't want Quarriors!, based on the criteria you gave.

I'll give a +1 to Nexus Ops, even though it only plays up to 4.

Empires of the Void might work, but it also only plays to 4.

Both of those games play well at 3 players, which is your most common player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Punnuf wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

Quantum is slowly coming on top of my list. It seems like a great game so far.

Haven't considered Small world yet, I never played it and always considered it rather a lifght family game, but maybe i need to take a closer look, thanks!

It's fairly light, but not gateway game light. You can also check into Small World Underground if you want a slightly heavier experience. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lobotnik wrote:
Kemet and Nexus Ops.

And Cyclades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Avolio
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:

He said not a wargame. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kemet, Small World is definitely a light conflict game, with a very strong area control element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the following games:
Infamy - Harsh bidding and worker placement that can lock out your opponents. Player count 3-4.

Cuba Libre - I know you said no wargames, but I'm not a major wargame player, and this game (along with any COIN games) rocks. Small tight player board, back and forth balancing, making side deals is a major part of the game, along with some major backstabbing. It's been equated to a knife fight in a phone booth. Andean Abyss is also great, but longer playing time and a little harder to introduce to groups.

Duel of Ages II is majorly tactical, plays 2-8 players. The game is one of the most unique and gratifying games I've played - strong theme of characters, major tactical decisions - definitely does not have euro elements.

Ginkgopolis is largely tactical as you need to adapt to a changing board, plays 1-5 players - and one of my all time favorites

Finally, City of Remnants can have some nice tense gameplay, has area control, and deckbuilding elements.

Hope that gives you some games that haven't been recommended yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group was most often 4 players, rather than 3, I'd say you should pick up Chaos in the Old World. It's not as good with 3, but it's one of my favorite 4-player designs ever. And I think we have similar tastes, if you like tense, smart, hybrid-style designs with lots of player interaction and tactical challenges.

You know what? You should get it, and then also get one more regular gaming friend. That seems like the best idea from my perspective. I'm actually visiting Poland in a month, maybe I'll just volunteer for the position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum is where its at!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poczet Herbut
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
eastwoodk wrote:
Take a look at the following games:
Infamy - Harsh bidding and worker placement that can lock out your opponents. Player count 3-4.

Cuba Libre - I know you said no wargames, but I'm not a major wargame player, and this game (along with any COIN games) rocks. Small tight player board, back and forth balancing, making side deals is a major part of the game, along with some major backstabbing. It's been equated to a knife fight in a phone booth. Andean Abyss is also great, but longer playing time and a little harder to introduce to groups.

Duel of Ages II is majorly tactical, plays 2-8 players. The game is one of the most unique and gratifying games I've played - strong theme of characters, major tactical decisions - definitely does not have euro elements.

Ginkgopolis is largely tactical as you need to adapt to a changing board, plays 1-5 players - and one of my all time favorites

Finally, City of Remnants can have some nice tense gameplay, has area control, and deckbuilding elements.

Hope that gives you some games that haven't been recommended yet.

Oh, thanks a lot! You gave me a lot to think about. Duel of ages is on my list for a long time now. So was Tournay which is from what i know from the same designer as Ginkgopolis, so maybe i should take a look at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poczet Herbut
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
the pete wrote:
If your group was most often 4 players, rather than 3, I'd say you should pick up Chaos in the Old World. It's not as good with 3, but it's one of my favorite 4-player designs ever. And I think we have similar tastes, if you like tense, smart, hybrid-style designs with lots of player interaction and tactical challenges.

You know what? You should get it, and then also get one more regular gaming friend. That seems like the best idea from my perspective. I'm actually visiting Poland in a month, maybe I'll just volunteer for the position.

I would get Chaos ages ago if not that 4 player requirement. On the other hand a lot of people say that Theseus is bad with more than 2, but from time to time someone comes on BGG and says he had a blast with 3. If i listened too much to what people say I wouldn't get Battlestar Galactica because it is not recommended for 3 players and yet we have tons of fun with it (same was with King of tokyo or Robo Rally for only 2).
My big question is: is it worse with 3 players than with 4 or not fun at all for 3 players. If the first is correct i guess i would buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lord atreides
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, get Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game, really. You'll thank me later. It's just perfect with 2,3,4. Whatever.
Oh, and also Warhammer: Diskwars would be a great one. 3-way games were the most fun we had with this game so far. I love "lighter" games (both in shelf space and in price) who can deliver absurdly high fun and replayability. And those will fit the spot perfectly.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Addendum: if you was to but an heavier game and you can afford the price tag, getting a second Warhammer: Diskwars base game or Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game – Sudden Death would still fit your price and enhance your games even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised no one has mentioned Level 7 Omega Protocol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few games of CitOW with three players, but I had a good time. That might not be enough evidence for you but I think it's still very playable with three people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish!

Only goes up to four players (2 to 4).

It might look cute, but this turns into a vicious tactical game pretty quickly when cutthroat-minded adults start playing.

Might not be a direct-enough type of conflict for your niche, but aggressive is definitely part of the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
Lobotnik wrote:
Kemet and Nexus Ops.

And Cyclades.
The three I came here to post. These match your request perfectly (only Cyclades plays to five Nexus Ops only plays to four, though).

Chaos in the Old world (plays to five with the expansion) is heavier and less a fighting game - but is just incredible. The heaviness comes from the gameplay, not the length, though. It is not as good with three players as four - but still better than many other games at that player count.

Edit: Lobotnik reminded me that Kemet also plays to five. Good catch - my mistake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.