Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Carc vs Carc the City rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the rules to regular Carc because the only Carc game I have played (and own) is Carc the City and I wanted to read how the games were different. While I was reading I was baffled at one of the rules. It said a player can lay a tile down, place a meeple and score, and then remove the meeple. Carc the City does not play this way, you have to already have the meeple on the board from a previous turn to score. For example, if you place a tile that closes off a road you cannot score unless you already had a meeple on that road, placed there from a previous turn. That makes so much more sense. So what is the point of the meeples then if you can score at anytime? Yes I suppose it is to block other players but still, it just seems so foreign after playing the other way for so long.

Anyone who has played both games, I would like to hear your comment on why the regular Carc game rule is better, because I am not seeing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In regular Carcassonne you can sometimes score at any time, but that means that the feature you are scoring isn't already occupied by another player. Thus the quick scoring is usually only for a few points and as such doesn't make much of a difference.

Carcassonne, Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers, South Seas all work the same way.

Carcassonne the City is set in the Carcassonne universe, but it is a different game.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
Anyone who has played both games, I would like to hear your comment on why the regular Carc game rule is better, because I am not seeing it.

Why do you assume that the original version is better?
It was designed 4 years earlier, and it would only be natural that the game would evolve and improve over time.

Carcassonne is a family game and extremely popular. So there should be as few special rules as possible. The standard procedure of a turn consist of 4 actions:
Draw a tile
Place the tile
Add a follower to that tile (optional)
Score the tile.

It would require additional rules to explain why you couldn't add a follower and score the feature as normal.

Carcassonne: The City is a more complex game, aimed at experienced Carcassonne gamers, so naturally it will have more complex rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why do you assume that the original version is better?

I probably worded that bad. Since obviously I don't like the Carc rule as compared to Carc The City, I wanted to hear some view points on why the original rule was better to some people.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just really surprised that the rule was different because it seems like such a main mechanic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note for another comparison, in Carcassonne: The Discovery on your turn you can either place a pawn to claim a feature or remove an existing pawn for scoring. Not both. A different kind of tension.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
In regular Carcassonne you can sometimes score at any time, but that means that the feature you are scoring isn't already occupied by another player. Thus the quick scoring is usually only for a few points and as such doesn't make much of a difference...


I would just clarify the implied 'sometimes' above; you have to have a Meeple in your pool to achieve this score. I have seen many times, in the late part of the game where one player retains a single Meeple and is able to score in this fashion where their opponent has their resources tied up on the board with farmers and uncompleted features. This creates its own tension.

We have City but haven't got to it yet and are looking forward to it.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
So what is the point of the meeples then if you can score at anytime?

No-one seems to have addressed this question, so:

The point largely is that you have limited meeples, so you need to use them carefully. Running out of meeples is usually bad, because if something valuable comes up you won't be able to claim it (you can't claim anything if you have no meeples -- even if you will be getting a meeple back that turn from completing something else!).

When you lay down the first tile of a new city (or road, or farm), you could claim it right away, but you might want to save your meeples for something else, especially if you think it will be difficult to complete and/or won't be worth many points.

If you happen to lay down a tile that finishes an unclaimed feature (and if you have a meeple available), you can just claim it immediately and get your meeple back. Of course if the feature hasn't already been claimed it probably isn't worth many points, but if the game is close a few points can make the difference.

And of course, there's the possibility to connect features, allowing you to share a feature with another player or even take it from them. Without a way of claiming features, that wouldn't be possible.

I should probably also point out that I think base Carcassonne is a bit dull, but it's vastly improved by the Inns & Cathedrals expansion. I never play without it, and think it should have been part of the base game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2d20 wrote:
I would just clarify the implied 'sometimes' above; you have to have a Meeple in your pool to achieve this score. I have seen many times, in the late part of the game where one player retains a single Meeple and is able to score in this fashion where their opponent has their resources tied up on the board with farmers and uncompleted features. This creates its own tension.

Excellent point, now I am starting to see how the rule could be quite fun actually.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
I should probably also point out that I think base Carcassonne is a bit dull, but it's vastly improved by the Inns & Cathedrals expansion. I never play without it, and think it should have been part of the base game.

Interesting. After reading the rules, other than placing the city walls, this game seems very much like Carc the City. I have heard Carc the City is the better game, however, you can't play with any of the expansions which is a bummer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.