Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like you guys to look over the rule book for my game that I have been kicking around see if you understand it. I know there is formatting issues and I am working on that but I have been staring at the words too long. I have no idea if you can actually learn how to play it from the rule book. I'm giving an acquaintance a demo kit this weekend and it would be cool if I was 100% sure if he could learn how to play it without my help. Also, general comments on whether you would like to play it or not would be greatly appreciated. Super big hugs of friendship for taking your time to read the rule book.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B872PnrInGmfUS1yZ1hwNnczRVk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can add a print to play version very shortly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have a print and play version of this game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B872PnrInGmfVUU4Y3lFT1RkbzA...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts after reading the rules and skimming the PnP card file:

Setting Up
#6. Does each player place all three of the map cards they drew initially, or only one? The wording implies only one, but I think you mean all (see below).

Phase 1: Map Phase
When the player draws a map card, must they immediately place that same card (which is how the rules are written), or may they add it to the map cards in their hand and play any of them? If all map cards are placed during step 6 of Setting Up (see above), then this is okay as written. If only one map card is placed in step 6 of Setting Up (as might be understood from the wording of that section), then the player has two extra map cards in addition to their 4 action cards. I assume that all map cards should be placed during setup and that each new map card is placed immediately, but the wording in Setup is ambiguous about that.

Treasure cards:
Are these cards discarded when their abilities are used? I see at least one that specifically says to discard it, so I assume that they are otherwise retained. Some of them seem rather powerful, and keeping track of a dozen different abilities (in addition to action cards) can be mentally taxing. I personally am not a fan of games that are mainly driven or significantly affected by text on a large number of unique cards (but that's me) - I'd rather see a limited number of special abilities (maybe 4-5) that can be used as one-offs by discarding treasure cards. Also, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of difference between action card actions and treasure card actions, so why do both?
I might suggest changing the dollar values to points that are easier to add up (especially the strange ones like $3.5M or $7.2M), e.g. changing $15,000,000 to 15 or $7,200,000 to 7.

McGuffin Card:
Doubling -all- treasure cards seems a bit nasty, particularly as this card combined with the end-game conditions seems to guarantee a win for the player who holds it (see below). I might suggest that it doubles the single most valuable treasure instead.

Game conclusion:
Having the game end when the player with the McGuffin card reaches the start space pretty much guarantees that player will win as they can loiter in the tunnels to keep accumulating treasure points (which will all be doubled).
I suggest having the game end when the first player reaches the start space after the McGuffin card is drawn. This means someone with a valuable hand can wait by the exit, but at the same time it gives players with poor hands the opportunity to keep hunting in the tunnels and then grab the McGuffin card once they think they're in a better position. The tension for the one lurking by the exit is then whether to wait it out on the strength of their hand or go back in and either dig up more or steal from others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your criticisms! Yes all of the three map cards during set up are placed in turns, leaving the players with no map cards to start with. I will have a look at rephrasing the rule book.

As I was setting up the files I did notice some of the same abilities in action cards and treasure cards. I have to look at these again.

The McGuffin is where I must of had a huge set of blinders on! I have never thought to change the win condition on the McGuffin to the other way around . It usually becomes a dog pile on the McGuffin owner which is the effect I wanted. I will try your suggestion to see if it livens up the end game. It will probably make the game shorter by a half hour, but that might be a good thing.

Prices or points? Prices keep the treasures in theme. Treasure points sound like victory points to me, but if you think about it prices are just a different way of saying victory points as well. I think I might just abbreviate the prices to just like $7.2M.

Thanks again and I have some things to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have a black and white version of the map deck for print and players!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B872PnrInGmfb0s5LTFxdXVxOU0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a play testing party this Saturday so I combed over the manual to get it in tip top shape. I decided while I was at it I could make the print and play files a little more organized for any one that wanted to play test it. Each part of the game is separated into their respective .PDFs so they can be printed on different materials. As suggested in other threads card stock would work for the Action, Map, and Trap/Treasure Cards. The markers and Treasure Track should be printed on card stock as well. The manual and questions can be printed on normal paper.

Here is the files = https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B872PnrInGmfQzNqaDNP...

I will probably post pictures from the play testing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey update on progress! Play testing party went good and I feel more confident about how things are going. Also my game got picked to be played by a new YouTuber which I am pretty lucky that he will play prototypes! He is still looking for other games to play so take a look at his thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1209276
I am still looking for print and players in the seeking play testers thread.
Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have been waiting on The Board Game Crash Test video (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1209276/playtesters-seeking-...), I have been thinking about the treasure abilities. Reading Blogs and listening to Pod Casts has me thinking about the treasure Rosetta Stone.

As a thematic card I like it a great deal, because the ability is a tongue and cheek call back to a line of software of similar name. However the ability is funny but it might not be as fun for the player who possesses the treasure. The co-creator and I came up with a set of rules for making treasures. After a certain money value the treasures become more of a burden. Obviously the effect of owning this Treasure is terrible for non Spanish speakers. (I have friends who speak Spanish but they have not been in a game where they were able to use this card.) Hopefully in the playtest video this card came up and I get to see their reaction. If anyone has an opinion on this card feel free to respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you have not been to the seeking play testers thread, The Board Game Crash Test Dummies got their video up.

http://youtu.be/eYbC33zk9AM

You can view it there. It was interesting to see them read through everything and show the trouble spots they were experiencing. I'm going to rewrite rules so they are less redundant. If you have anything to add to their criticism please comment in this thread.

Thanks Again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.