7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game for a new to the hobby friend. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, a friend of mine recently got into board gaming.

He has played settlers of catan and got hooked. I am looking to recommend him a few games and I thought you might be able to help me out.

His favorites are Agricola and Puerto Rico. Other games he enjoys are Splendor, Settlers(knights and cities), Cosmic Encounter, Axis and allies. From talking to him it seems like he likes games with a little bit more meat to them, however, a few of his friends are just looking for a light game to break out in the evening.

A few prerequisites for the games are:
2 player minimum is a must.
6 player or greater max is preferred(4 is ok)
Medium to high player interaction.
Player conflict is wanted.
Strategy seems to be a preference.

Thank you all so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try 7 Wonders. It doesn't have a lot of player interaction on the surface, but as you grow accustomed to the game, you're going to want to deny your opponents things that they could really benefit from.

Small World goes up to 6 with expansions. Not the deepest strategy in the world, but plenty of conflict and fun to be had.

Lastly, one that could be hit or miss would be RoboRally. It's much more tactical than strategic, but there's a lot of conflict to be found for those who want it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heiser
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet -- only goes up to 5, but I think it's your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it weren't for the 2 player minimum, I'd suggest Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. But it only plays 3-4 (up to 6 with the expansion). It has lots of interaction and direct conflict, and the rules are easy to pick up.

For a lighter game that does play 2, Lords of Vegas is a lot of fun. It's another game that needs an expansion to take it up to 6 players.

Nexus Ops is a pretty simple dudes-on-a-map game, good to play with those who aren't necessarily big gamers but want to beat each other up. But it only plays up to 4.

I'll give a +1 to RoboRally. The basics are straightforward, but half the fun is messing with your opponents.

Rex might also be worth a look. It's a bit more complicated than the other games I suggested though.

For something more on the euro end of the spectrum, take a look at Power Grid. The Robots expansion makes it playable with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't much out there for 6. It would be easier to split into two groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World

It comes with two maps. The Mexico map is great for 2 or 3. The Eastern US map plays up to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heiser
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
If it weren't for the 2 player minimum, I'd suggest Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. But it only plays 3-4 (up to 6 with the expansion). It has lots of interaction and direct conflict, and the rules are easy to pick up.

I concur. Believe the hype on this one. I was expecting to be disappointed because it seemed like it might be over-hyped. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.