Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been asked before, so I apologize if this comes off as annoying. I just got this game and I am really getting into it. But I had two questions that I am not clear on.

1. The instruction booklet says to take actions in reading order. So does that mean that if a single chip provides an additional action and lets me draw a chip- I have to play the action before I draw the chip? According to the instructions, that would seem to be the case. But it didn't look that way in a lot of videos I watched. An extreme example might be the chip that allows you one additional action of each color. The directions state that I should do them in reading order... so does that mean I have to do the top left color first, the top right second, etc? That seems incorrect.

2. Can I have more than one ongoing effect at a time.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Again, I am sure these questions have been answered in the past, I just wasn't having luck finding those answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The arrows give you a "resource" that you can spend during your turn. So like +red +blue or something gives you the ability to play a red action and a blue action during your turn. Yeah you get the +red one moments before you get the +blue one, but that's really just academic. You don't have to SPEND that resource the instant you get it.

You can have more than one ongoing chip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. First of all, thank you so much for the quick response. Second of all, I think it is awesome that you are active on the boards to field comments like mine.

Your attention is greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I have one more question:

Does a player have to do everything the chip allows them to do? According to "Do Everything You Can", it would seem the answer is yes. But I just want to double check.

If a chip provides me with an additional action, and I do indeed have another action chip, must I play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes & No.

The answer to your example question is 'no', you do not have to play another chip if you have remaining actions. Let me explain why.

The "Do Everything You Can" rule does make you resolve a played chip to the best of your ability... But if you play a chip that gives you a +red arrow & +blue arrow for example, then resolving that chip simply means you've gained those arrows as resources, as Sirlin mentioned. The chip has now been completely resolved, and then you can then choose to spend those arrows or not as you see fit. The +Arrows on chips merely grant you more actions, not force you to spend them.

The same can be said for Piggy Bank icons. Playing a chip with a Piggy Bank essentially gives you a Piggy Bank resource, which allows you to save a chip at the end of your turn. You certainly don't have to use that resource.

+Chip on the other hand is something that happens immediately. As far as I'm aware, when you play a chip that has +Chip on it, you must draw those chips.

This might sound a touch complicated as I'm typing it out, but in just a few games this will become very intuitive.

An example of the "Do Everything You Can" rule would be if you wanted to play a Double-Crash Gem, but only had one Gem in your pile. You could still play that chip and crash that one Gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Yes & No.

The answer to your example question is 'no', you do not have to play another chip if you have remaining actions. Let me explain why.

The "Do Everything You Can" rule does make you resolve a played chip to the best of your ability... But if you play a chip that gives you a +red arrow & +blue arrow for example, then resolving that chip simply means you've gained those arrows as resources, as Sirlin mentioned. The chip has now been completely resolved, and then you can then choose to spend those arrows or not as you see fit. The +Arrows on chips merely grant you more actions, not force you to spend them.

The same can be said for Piggy Bank icons. Playing a chip with a Piggy Bank essentially gives you a Piggy Bank resource, which allows you to save a chip at the end of your turn. You certainly don't have to use that resource.

+Chip on the other hand is something that happens immediately. As far as I'm aware, when you play a chip that has +Chip on it, you must draw those chips.

This might sound a touch complicated as I'm typing it out, but in just a few games this will become very intuitive.

An example of the "Do Everything You Can" rule would be if you wanted to play a Double-Crash Gem, but only had one Gem in your pile. You could still play that chip and crash that one Gem.

This all makes sense. I just was not at all clear on this after reading the instructions. Thank you for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Just to reiterate:

Arrows (and Piggy Banks and $) are all resources.

Doing things in reading order means that you gain said resources in that order. Yet you are not required to spend said resources, and in many cases cannot even spend those resources until a following phase:

If you spelled out the effects of One of Each

in detail instead of just little icons, what it would say would be:

-> Gain a black arrow action resource, which you may use at any point during your current action phase to play any color of chip,
THEN

-> Gain a piggybank resource, which you may use during your cleanup phase* to save a chip for your next hand,
THEN

-> Gain one additional point of gem power, which you may use during your buy phase* to purchase chips,
THEN

-> Draw a chip if you have any left in your bag. If you do not have any left in your bag, reshuffle your discard into your bag and then draw one. If you have no chips in either bag or discard then you cannot draw so the "do as much as you can" rule means you ignore this effect and do not draw.
Reminder: You are not required to use any resources you gain, but any unused resources are lost at the end of your turn.

You'll note that even though "do things in order" means you gain the piggy bank before you gain the $ from playing One of Each, you cannot possibly use the piggy bank before your $, as one is a resource you may use in your buy phase, the other is a resource you may use in your cleanup phase and buy comes before cleanup.

Hopefully that explanation nails this down for you.

* There are potentially additional clarifications needed for the cases where the chip is played on an opponent's turn and pigs or $ you gain when it is not your turn -- but those situations do not occur without the chips in the Shadows expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Or to put it even another way, if a chip said:

"Get $1,000,000 and pet a duck."

If there's no duck around to pet, you still get the $1,000,000. Even though you got the money, nothing said you had to spend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirlin wrote:
Or to put it even another way, if a chip said:

"Get $1,000,000 and pet a duck."

If there's no duck around to pet, you still get the $1,000,000. Even though you got the money, nothing said you had to spend it.

Now it is definitely clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.