United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
One does not simply surf into Mordor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know... not another sleeving post!!!!

I just went through all 20 pages of posts here in the "general" forum. I saw lots of information on sleeves. The problem is that I think most of the recommendations are for the 1st printing base set so I had a couple specific questions. Also... please let me add that I understand sleeving isn't for everyone and this game may not be one others would sleeve... I get that. I just happen to be able to afford sleeving and it satisfies my OCD and "collectorism".

Here is what I am after. I sleeve almost everything with FFG sleeves. I like the premium quality and they are consistent. I slipped a card into one of their silver/gray series and it obviously fits but there is a large section of sleeve left over at the top. I don't mind some overlap and way prefer this to the card protruding. What I am curious about is a premium, clear sleeve that fits a little better. I don't need it super snug/tight. A quick side note - I am not interested in Mayday sleeves... I had a bad experience. (name that movie)

I saw one guy using colored Ultrapros. They look like they fit well but I am not sure what edition of the game he had. It was this size http://smile.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Sleeves-Standard-Clear-Pro...

Any other suggestions for sleeves similar to FFG's that fit well? Is anyone else using clear Ultra Pros and if so are the consistent? And a huge request for those that have time. If you have a premium sleeve you believe in could you shoot me a pic of a Pathfinder card in it?

Big huge thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the fit of the Pathfinder cards, but to compare the FFG sleeves and the Ultra Pro Deck Protectors, the Deck Protectors are 1 mm shorter in length and ~0.5 mm more narrow in width than the FFGs. They are also thicker so they help give a more rigid feel. My experience with them shows the sleeves to be consistently cut.

The biggest negative especially with the colored back sleeves is that there is this very annoying 5mm circle hologram at the lower right corner on the front of the sleeve. If you get the all clear sleeves, at least you can use the hologram side as the back.

If you decide to go with the Ultra Pro's, make sure to get the Standard-size 'Deck Protectors'. They have a 'Pro-Matte' line that's tournament-legal quality sleeves, but they are slightly smaller than the regular Deck Protectors, so the Pro-Mattes, which are also more expensive, will be a tight fit for the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Ultra-Pros (clear). They fit the PACG cards perfectly, but I have a first printing. If the second printing cards are longer, they might stick out the top (I have about 1mm clearance with my cards).

They are not perfectly consistent. The width is pretty much perfect, but the length can vary a little (~0.25mm) and the hologram logo location can be different by a few mm -- between packs (they are very consistent within a single pack). If you buy them all at once from the same location you are more likely get ones that are all from the same production run which should be fairly consistent. I bought 500 off an eBay store and they are all reasonably consistent with each other, but they are noticeably different from the sleeves I bought a few years ago.

Edit: I should add, the variation in the Ultra-Pro sleeves is much less than the variation in the size of the actual PACG cards, which is why I bought the sleeves in the first place. Again, this is for the first printing. Maybe the US printer (second printing) is better at keeping the cards the same size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ultra pro standard size deck protectors (the ones at the Amazon link you gave) are what you want. I use them and I have first edition. Second edition is .5mm shorter, which would actually be really nice because the first edition ones come a bit close to the top of the sleeve for my taste.

Ultra pro is actually making a version of the standard size specifically for pacg, with character art on the back of them, but they aren't out yet.
http://paizo.com/products/btpy973w?Pathfinder-Adventure-Card...

Ultra Pro will also be releasing a few other things including an adventure case to hold a whole adventure path's worth of sleeved cards.

This is a great option too.
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/pacg-box-organizer/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaelen Marsden
Canada
flag msg tools
I'll put in another vote for the ultra pro sleeves. I just bought 1200 of them and am very happy with the fit (clear for the adventure and location cards, solid-back for everything else). I had one pack of FFG sleeves which I used on the character cards so I could write on them with dry erase markers, and I also found them too tall. I have mostly 1st edition cards, but my adventure 5 pack is 2nd, and they seem fine to me (I didn't notice that the card sizes were different at all, actually). I can send a couple pics tonight, if no one beats me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Phillips
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case someone stumbles across this thread... i found a cheaper way to but these on Amazon. 600 covers the base set. I am a Prime member so I like the fast shipping. I am aware I could get them a bit cheaper elsewhere.
http://smile.amazon.com/Ultra-Protectors-Sleeves-Standard-Co...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Phillips
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angler wrote:
Just in case someone stumbles across this thread... i found a cheaper way to but these on Amazon. 600 covers the base set. I am a Prime member so I like the fast shipping. I am aware I could get them a bit cheaper elsewhere.
http://smile.amazon.com/Ultra-Protectors-Sleeves-Standard-Co...

I got these today and they fit the 2nd printing cards perfect. Thanks for the feedback.

What's up with the silly little hologram? I knew it was going to be there... just curious what the purpose is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sullivan
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is intended to prevent someone from passing off their sleeves as Ultra Pros. More of an issue when they first started doing Deck Protector sleeves and everyone else was playing catch-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.