Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Simpson
United Kingdom
Cambs
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.ministryofboardgames.com

Never heard of them but they have a game that isnt in stock anywhere else.

Anyone purchased from them, that would like to share their experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never heard of them, but looking at the website, I wouldn't order from them personally.

Let us know how it goes for you though, if you decide to go ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
More of a "him" than a "them". fairly good prices though, but pricey shipping.

I they had something or the best price, I'd probably risk it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the categories on the site is 'co-optive' games shake

[Edit] The proprietor is a user here, and there's a guild and everything:

http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1601

Whether that reassures you or not, I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one case where 'paypal protection' is useful for the buyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United Kingdom
Cambs
flag msg tools
mb
not familiar with paypal protection. Whats that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, if you pay by Paypal as a 'purchase of goods' you can make a claim for non-delivery, and Paypal almost always find in favour of the buyer and give a full refund (assuming the item has not been tracked and signed-for).

They have also recently been using a 'payment after delivery' function which - and I'm guessing here - they impose on small traders or those with a limited trading history (or a poor record I guess).

I find them more comforting than Sect 75 rights for buying from folks I don't know. I don't find them comforting in any other sense, mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a Guild on his own - No wonder he's depressed.

Nothing that would particularly stop me from buying from him though.

If you do then:
Make sure the payment is going through a proper online payment provider and Use a credit card, rather than a debit card (then if there's a problem you can get the money off the credit card company rather than having to chase some guy in Devon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you use PayPal though, you lose the Sec75 protection that you from using a CC.

You also have no direct contract with the supplier, so any court cases need to be brought against PayPal not the supplier.

The CC/bank will wash their hands of everything, because they are a 'payment broker' or similar, so the call centres can't do anything for

Once I found this out (thanks R4 Moneybox) I stopped using PayPal for everything that I could.

Anyway, no-one is suggesting this chap is likely to cause issues, but just something to bear in mind for other places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's maybe an out-of-date position, Paul - but one I used to share.

These days Paypal protection is heavily biased in favour of the buyer - if the sender cannot provide tracking AND signature, Paypal will refund with very little fuss.

I was a paypal refusnik for a LONG time, then I used them reluctantly, these days I use them almost exclusively for buying whenever I can.

Your Sect 75 / DSR rights are only applicable over £100 (IIRC) although chargeback rules from the CC and DC providers are less restrictive, however exercising your Sect 75 / DSR rights or getting a successful chargeback is much more time consuming and problematic than simply 'opening a dispute' with Paypal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
I think that's maybe an out-of-date position, Paul - but one I used to share.

These days Paypal protection is heavily biased in favour of the buyer - if the sender cannot provide tracking AND signature, Paypal will refund with very little fuss.

I was a paypal refusnik for a LONG time, then I used them reluctantly, these days I use them almost exclusively for buying whenever I can.

Your Sect 75 / DSR rights are only applicable over £100 (IIRC) although chargeback rules from the CC and DC providers are less restrictive, however exercising your Sect 75 / DSR rights or getting a successful chargeback is much more time consuming and problematic than simply 'opening a dispute' with Paypal.

Thanks for that.

I must admit I have not looked at Paypal for years and have always avoided it as, then, it certainly seemed to give you less protection, rather than more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paypal are also pretty-much the only economic way to buy from fellow BGGers in the US or EU and even from some games companies in Europe. They make a margin on the exchange rate, obviously (as well as their fees and their cross-border fees), but compared to a £9 fee PLUS an exchange-rate margin from e.g. Halifax, they are a good deal.

I don't want you to think this is an advert for Paypal (how I wish there were a British/European alternative!) but you can also maintain a balance in (almost) any currency. I buy and sell a few bits and bobs in € / $ and £ and by keeping a balance in the foreign currency you can avoid the exchange rate costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Possibly true that it's out of date, but I've been on the 'bad' end of PayPal as a buyer and seller, and once they decide something you will have a hideous time trying to talk to them.

I ended up taking them to court, and they turned up with a barrage of legal bods, I was shocked.

I still won though.

Still, I would rather deal with the CC company than PP. If PP agree with you, it;s fine, but with any sort of dispute it's never that certain.

CC companies seem to at least understand their obligations and seem much easier to deal with (you can, at least, talk to someone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Paypal are also pretty-much the only economic way to buy from fellow BGGers in the US or EU and even from some games companies in Europe. They make a margin on the exchange rate, obviously (as well as their fees and their cross-border fees), but compared to a £9 fee PLUS an exchange-rate margin from e.g. Halifax, they are a good deal.

I don't want you to think this is an advert for Paypal (how I wish there were a British/European alternative!) but you can also maintain a balance in (almost) any currency. I buy and sell a few bits and bobs in € / $ and £ and by keeping a balance in the foreign currency you can avoid the exchange rate costs.

For foreign currency purchases, I have a specific credit card which gives me interbank rate and no fee. Works very well for me indeed.

I don't know if that CC is still available to request though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
I ended up taking them to court, and they turned up with a barrage of legal bods, I was shocked.

I still won though.

Now THAT sound like a story worth telling AND a story worth listening to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
EarlyFlash wrote:

I still won though.

Now THAT sounds like a story worth telling AND a story worth listening to

Heh. They grossly underestimated how much the Judge wouldn't care for their approach. It was only a local court (via Small Claims), so they were overstaffed, and the judge really rather took pity on me (representing myself), but still the result was sound (from my point of view).

I was shocked they decided to push it all the way to the court though - It must have cost them a fortune.

Bizarre company and one I'll happily deal with as little as possible. But as you've pointed out, they are a bit of an unavoidable evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being fairly local to me and having attended the same gaming groups as the owner I have bought from him in the past, these have always been delivered in person though either to my home or to a club.

He is a great chap and you can drop him an email with any questions.

He attends some local gaming conventions to sell games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.